Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre age. Too old?

• 15-09-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Bought a usedcar and the tyres are as follows.

Passenger Front: Nankang Toursport 611 6mm Thread Manufactured 21/06
    Passenger Rear: Dunlop SP Sport 300 4mm Thread Manufactured 49/05
    Driver Rear: Camac NL 260 6mm Thread Manufactured 43/06
    Driver Front: Dunlop SP Sport 300 5mm Thread Manufactured 47/06

I'm a bit worried about the age. Thread are good on them all but how long do tyres last?

Comments

I think either over 5 or 6 yo is an NCT fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd be more worried about the cars unpredictability under heavy braking with such a wide variety of tires in different positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Breaking so far has been grand. Did some serious breaking when I first got the car as it hadn't moved in a month so wanted to be sure they were ok. Passed its nct 3 months ago so from NCT point of view their fine.

There 195/60/15 and quite expensive. Not sure if I could afford to replace them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RoverJames wrote: »

I don't think there is any age limit for tyres with NCT.
    If tyre is not not cracked, bulked, etc. and there is over 0.16cm tread, then they should pass.

I was wrong

The owner should be advised of any tyre with a tread depth of less than 3mm or, where the date of
    manufacture is obvious on the tyre (Item 7 on the tyre illustration in Section 37), a tyre older than
    six years.

They just tell you they are over 6 years old, they won't fail you for it unless they are cracked or perished looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's no age limit on tyres for the NCT. They will recommend you change them if they are 6 years or over, but it's not a necessity. This was the case 5 months ago when I got mine done. Tires have since been replaced btw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

So basically I should be aiming to get them replaced then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So basically I should be aiming to get them replaced then?

Given that there are 3 different tyres on it, that range from 5/6 years old id be changing them tbh. They're the most important part of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

My car is old but has very low mileage and I'd say is only on its second ever set of tyres. The front left tyre is a bit scuffed from hitting off curbs etc., so would this be an NCT fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

VolvoMan wrote: »
    My car is old but has very low mileage and I'd say is only on its second ever set of tyres. The front left tyre is a bit scuffed from hitting off curbs etc., so would this be an NCT fail?

Rubber hardens and deteriorates over time. It doesn't matter how much thread is left on them, if they're more than 5 years old get rid of them.

OP - change your tyres as soon as you can afford. Even if you're driving the best car ever the rubber is the only thing keeping your car on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Tyres over 6 years old are a fail/advisory for the nct so they don't fail but it is advised that you change them.

Advertisement