Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing mail via web

Options
  • 15-09-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all..

Not sure if this is the right category for this Q but anyway..

Had mail working fine via port 80 using "mailcompanyname.dyndns.org"

but a couple of days ago it stoped and cant figure why..

is there another way of accessing my mail server?? using a diff port preferably as I think it maybe the problem

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Check emails from DynDns as is possible account disabled OR wrong IP address in the alias OR router take'n over port 80 OR internal server service stopped ... :)
    First,check email from inside the LAN and see if that works ,then move out on to WAN side !

Advise:
    1.get a static IP address,modify MX records OR create a static entry in DNS hosting as "remote.myco.ie"
    2.stay away from port 80,highly recommended Secure HTTP on port 443 if email server supports OR change the port for POP3/IMAP on, let's say 12345
    3.use VPN for email access on desktops/laptops
    4.SSL on mobile email OMA access

What broadband,what router,what internal server,what "email client" are you using !?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

abadref wrote: »
    Hi all..

Not sure if this is the right category for this Q but anyway..

Had mail working fine via port 80 using "mailcompanyname.dyndns.org"

but a couple of days ago it stoped and cant figure why..

is there another way of accessing my mail server?? using a diff port preferably as I think it maybe the problem

Thanks in advance

DynDNS might not of updated correctly.

Easiest way to determine this is to do the following:

1). Ping your "mailcompanyname.dyndns.org" - take note of the IP address and write it down on a sheet

2). Next, open your browser and visit http://www.whatismyip.com - take note of the IP address and write it down on the same sheet as above.

3). Compare the two addresses;

3a). If they're not the same then it's an issue with dyndns - logon to the server / computer and update the DNS.

3b). If they are the same then the issue is not related to dyndns.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement