Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintaining a mountain bike

• 15-09-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering as i'm new to mountain biking what way i should be maintaining my bike before and after i go out on it??, I only have the bike around three months now, and really i just want to know should i be lubing shocks and what ways are best for cleaning brake disc's etc. Either that or should i be getting a proper service on it??. Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

What sort of mountain biking do you do?
    Generally, if your bike is new, there will be little to do before you hit the trail outside of check the basics - i.e. make sure everything works properly and everything is secured properly.
    Back home from the trail, if your bike is very dirty, just clean it - paying particular attention to your chain and drivetrain. A quick lube of moving parts again chain in particular and away you go again.
    Brake discs don't need special cleaners, in fact just plain old water and a sponge is all you need. Don't worry about your forks, there are seals in place to keep lubricants in and dirt out.
    If you are going to clean your bike with a pressure washer (not recommended until you know a lot more about your bike), just concentrate on the heavy mucky areas such as wheels and hard to reach spots. Keep water under pressure away from all bearing, seals etc.
    Get a good track pump with a gauge and learn how to put the correct pressure into your wheels. Stay away from the cheapo Aldi/Lidl models as the gauges don't work.
    Your bike only needs servicing when it needs it.
    Join a club and ask questions - you'll find you'll rarely have to put your machine into a bike shop again.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Thanks gman, i'm just doing trails up around ticknock etc, nothing to fast mind you as i'm only getting into it. I just wanted to make sure that shocks and disc's etc didn't need some kind of special attention before and after i go for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Join a mtb club,both MAD and EPIC are Dublin based.I think MAD are starting spins for begineers soon.Worth joining,as you will learn stuff,have fun and get fit all at the same time!!

Advertisement