Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 1500 "gaming laptop"

Options
  • 15-09-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I work in the service industry and have to travel loads, now im getting ready to buy a laptop for gaming while away (call of duty, battlefield, medal of honor etc)

Now im not going crazy as im only guna use it for around a year but I was thinking somewhere in region of 1500 biscuits??
    Im not looking for anything bigger than 15" really but if theres a 17' bargain ill take it.

Ive been looking at the following:
    Alienware m14x
    Toshiba Qosimo
    Dell XPS 15z
    possibly Asus G73 if i can get it

New to gaming (console newb:p) on laptops so i'm looking for some feedback.

Ive heard anything dell is very poor service???

Keep in mind I will possibly only end up playing stuff like BF3 and MW3

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For gaming the most important component is the graphics card. The XPS 15z only has a nVidia 525 which is fine for most tasks but a bit too weak for gaming so that's out. The Qosmio start with a nVidia 540m which isn't bad and should probably be the bare minimum for a gaming laptop. The alienware m14x has a nVidia 555 which is pretty good and should do you fine. That Asus will have the most powerful card but is a 17.3" monster.

Another laptop to look at is the HP DV6 range. They can be got with a ATI 6770 which is a good card. They're nice looking laptop too and not garish like the G73 or the Alienware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

To be honest laptops aren't great for games, unless you have it connected to a monitor with a mouse and keyboard and it's being used as a PC as such. Playing any kind of FPS like battlefield on it would be a big hindrance but if you absolutely have to go down that road then i'd suggest definitely a 17" screen for a start and make sure to use a decent mouse!!

As for specs hopefully someone else can offer some insight I haven't really any idea what the best gaming laptops are these days. Probably an i5 or i7 with a decent mobile 1gig+ gfx card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

IMO the M14x is the best deal Alienware have going. In that its the only laptop they have that seems reasonably priced. Everything else you pay a big premium for the looks. (which maybe sometimes is worth it.....maybe :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Hi lads, I work in the service industry and have to travel loads, now im getting ready to buy a laptop for gaming while away (call of duty, battlefield, medal of honor etc)

Now im not going crazy as im only guna use it for around a year but I was thinking somewhere in region of 1500 biscuits??
    Im not looking for anything bigger than 15" really but if theres a 17' bargain ill take it.

Ive been looking at the following:
    Alienware m14x
    Toshiba Qosimo
    Dell XPS 15z
    possibly Asus G73 if i can get it

New to gaming (console newb:p) on laptops so i'm looking for some feedback.

Ive heard anything dell is very poor service???

Keep in mind I will possibly only end up playing stuff like BF3 and MW3

I have one of the Dell xps models, I bought it in 2007. I bought the 3 years same day "on site" anywhere service pack for €200 and I have had to call them out 3 times. I could have been unlucky, but I am now onto my third motherboard. The service has been excellent as I have had them come to my hotel room while I was at a conference in Denver and fix it.....though still, third motherboard!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Ok guys, well I would need to do some soul searching (and clothes burning) before I would commit to a 17"er, I already have a lenovo thinkpad (aka small city car) for work so a 17" would need to be really good value to justify the sacrifice of traveling with both. Ive gamed on that using my own hard drive and it was ok, I could live with it like, and I do have a roccat "something or other" gaming mouse so really as long as the unit i buy has a good enough gfx card etc. then im happy......if i got the m14x is there any reason I would be disappointed?

Any links to a site that can sell me the newest HP DV6 almightycushion?

• Advertisement

Ok guys, well I would need to do some soul searching (and clothes burning) before I would commit to a 17"er, I already have a lenovo thinkpad (aka small city car) for work so a 17" would need to be really good value to justify the sacrifice of traveling with both. Ive gamed on that using my own hard drive and it was ok, I could live with it like, and I do have a roccat "something or other" gaming mouse so really as long as the unit i buy has a good enough gfx card etc. then im happy......if i got the m14x is there any reason I would be disappointed?

Any links to a site that can sell me the newest HP DV6 almightycushion?

Heres a review of the M14x. Scroll down and look to the side to see the pros/cons of it. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Alienware-M14x-Notebook.54257.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Check out the PC Upgrade / Laptop sections in the tech forum for the best advice

Upgrading - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

Laptops - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=529

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The best thing to do when getting a laptop is Google the name of the one you want plus problem.

Have a 17" XPS and i have no end of problems with it.

As far as screen size goes, every thing else looks tiny when ever i need to change over to do some work on an other laptop so for games you will probably be happy you did.

As you only need it for a year, mid range graphics and CPU would do.

Games aren't made so only the greatest pc can run them.

Also Dell don't use standard parts all the time especially with graphics cards, any drivers it comes with is probably the newest it'll ever get so no nice game optimization or free software performance improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Have you considered a refurbished laptop? (one with a previous problem that has been repaired by the manufacturer)

I have an Asus G50 refurb that cost just over 500e.

Bought 2 years ago, going strong and still comparable to most of the laptops coming out these days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-G73JH-BST7-GAMING-LAPTOP-i-7-740QM-6GB-640GB-5870-/260779935957?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3cb7b208d5#ht_4550wt_1139

Roughly 720e inc. shipping. I know its Ebay and I know theres a chance you could get stung by customs but it's worth looking into.

Cheers Jaafa, that's a really comprehensive review, looks good to me, will beat out BF and COD so Im happy, now if only I could get it half price!:p

• Advertisement

Cheers Jaafa, that's a really comprehensive review, looks good to me, will beat out BF and COD so Im happy, now if only I could get it half price!:p

Indeed its a great site. Me and you both mate, me and you both. :P

As for the US ebay option I heard its almost certain you'll get hit by customs. Of course I could be wrong and its something Id be interesting in if not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Probably worth having a look at a few MSIs as well, like this 15" with a GT560m.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/80003304/MSI_15_6_GT683R_421NL_i7_2630QM_8GB_1TB/GT683R_421NL/default.aspx

There are a few cheaper i5s version as well with the same GPU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Jaafa wrote: »
    As for the US ebay option I heard its almost certain you'll get hit by customs. Of course I could be wrong and its something Id be interesting in if not.

I didn't, but I live out in the country where there's no house numbers.

I had to meet the UPS guy down at the shop, too difficult to give him directions to mine :D

I don't know if that had anything to do with me avoiding customs.

I didn't, but I live out in the country where there's no house numbers.

I had to meet the UPS guy down at the shop, too difficult to give him directions to mine :D

I don't know if that had anything to do with me avoiding customs.

Anything over 150 euro in value should get vat on it at the airport.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Probably worth having a look at a few MSIs as well, like this 15" with a GT560m.

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02PC/02_NOTEBOO/21_15/productdetails/80003304/MSI_15_6_GT683R_421NL_i7_2630QM_8GB_1TB/GT683R_421NL/default.aspx

WOW that's a beast of a yolk! How much difference does the i5-i7 really make, assuming all else is the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

WOW that's a beast of a yolk! How much difference does the i5-i7 really make, assuming all else is the same.

Depends on the game really, the i7 is a quad core so in general I would suggest it would be the better option as most newer games can take advantage of more than two cores.

While in alot of games the GPU will be the bottleneck anyway regardless of the CPU, thinking medium / long term (which you might as well if you are investing so much money) I think the i7 is certainly the best option, especially as it is not all that much more expensive.

Mean to point out one thing in the last post, Komplett laptops have US keyboards layout, not a biggie for me but some may find it annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

May as well mention in the HP Envy 14, really nice laptop although it does have two main deficiencies, the ATI 6630M graphics card which is slightly slower than the Nvidia 540M and the 1366 x 768 screen.

Engadget have just done a review on the 2011 model here.

The 17" does upgrade both the screen and the graphics card though so maybe look at that too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Want!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

+ 1. A friend got an MSI gaming laptop a few years back and it's still going strong.

http://search.laptopsdirect.ie/msi_gaming_series/page.asp
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/MSI_GX660R-646UK_Core_i7_Laptop_GX660R-646UK/version.asp
    I was surprised that this one was 15.6'' when there's a quad core and 5870 in it. It's as heavy as a 17'' though.

You could build a good gaming desktop for €1K, better than what you'd get in a laptop, and just get a €500 laptop.

Monotype wrote: »
    + 1. A friend got an MSI gaming laptop a few years back and it's still going strong.

http://search.laptopsdirect.ie/msi_gaming_series/page.asp
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/MSI_GX660R-646UK_Core_i7_Laptop_GX660R-646UK/version.asp
    I was surprised that this one was 15.6'' when there's a quad core and 5870 in it. It's as heavy as a 17'' though.

You could build a good gaming desktop for €1K, better than what you'd get in a laptop, and just get a €500 laptop.

Read the first post he wants to game on the road.

• Advertisement

Cheers for links...MSI looks like a good bet but i dunno, think i'm guna try find and alienware m14x somewhere, i dunno really.

Desktop option is out of question as im constantly traveling, when I said in first OP that I only wanted laptop for a year I meant for gaming, after that I should be more grounded, I still will use it for random laptop tasks :)

Cheers for links...MSI looks like a good bet but i dunno, think i'm guna try find and alienware m14x somewhere, i dunno really.

Desktop option is out of question as im constantly traveling, when I said in first OP that I only wanted laptop for a year I meant for gaming, after that I should be more grounded, I still will use it for random laptop tasks :)

Is the M14x not in your budget?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Good thing its out of stock because knowing me I would have raided my savings and brought :eek:

Jaafa wrote: »
    Is the M14x not in your budget?

Well Ive done the whole "build your own" on dells site a kabrillion times and im looking at a m14x for either 1489 or 1568 which is what i'd be willing to pay, of course if I could get something with same specs in larger size it would tempt me but the 14" would be a preference, 20 euro and a packet of custard creams would be my preferred price :p

Well Ive done the whole "build your own" on dells site a kabrillion times and im looking at a m14x for either 1489 or 1568 which is what i'd be willing to pay, of course if I could get something with same specs in larger size it would tempt me but the 14" would be a preference, 20 euro and a packet of custard creams would be my preferred price :p

What specs are you putting on it?

You could try this guy. http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-Alienware-M14x-i7-2630QM-6GB-750GB-3GB-GT-555M-/180693186284?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item2a122736ec#ht_7492wt_1139

What's the story with that? It looks from his ad that the yolk is completely configurable but the price is 1349 with these specs :

Surely it's false advertising! Main Specifications[SIZE=-0][/SIZE][SIZE=-0]
    [/SIZE]

BRAND NEW
    100% CUSTOMIZABLE ?????

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]€40 discount for payment with bank transfer&cheque[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

2.90Ghz Intel i7 2630QM QuadCore CPU

3GB nVidia GT 555M

750GB 7,200rpm Hard Drive

[SIZE=-0][/SIZE][SIZE=-0] 6GB 1600Mhz RAM
    [/SIZE]

14.1inch HD+ (1600x900) WLED Display
    3.0 Megapixel HD Video and Picture Camera with dual digital microphones

Killer™ Wireless-N 1103
    8 cell 63Whr battery
    Color: Choose from Stealth Black and Nebula Red
    1 Year Next Business Day warranty by Dell

UK spec

STRAIGHT FROM DELL FACTORY: DELL packaging, DVDs, documentation

Yeah I think you have to contact him to get the specs changed. The price shown is the price for the specs you have posted their. The other upgrades are there to just give you an idea of what it costs to upgrade. It wont actually update the price on the page. Again just contact him to make sure. 100% feedback with 1960 sales so I doubt its a scam.

Yup that's the price for those specs, which if i'm correct is a saving of somewhere around 200 euro on dells price for same specs! Pay day isn't until 30th so ill have to hope he's still got some good deals around then!:cool:

Just wondering what the hell is a mobile GPU doing with 3GB of VRAM :confused:

Aside from that is one hell of alot of power wrapped up in a small 14" case.

• Advertisement

Just wondering what the hell is a mobile GPU doing with 3GB of VRAM :confused:

Aside from that is one hell of alot of power wrapped up in a small 14" case.

Yeah its a waste really. But who knows maybe it'll be useful in the future.

Advertisement