Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 1500 "gaming laptop"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

SO umm......whats VRAM really mean:confused:
    I just reckon 3Gb is better than 1.5Gb but I don't really know what it means! Would 1.5Gb be good enough?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

SO umm......whats VRAM really mean:confused:
    I just reckon 3Gb is better than 1.5Gb but I don't really know what it means! Would 1.5Gb be good enough?

It is just dedicated RAM for the GPU, which basically acts as a buffer between the CPU and Graphics cars. Its is mostly for storing textures and frames for display. Basically free VRAM is never used just because it is there, the amount of VRAM a game engine uses depends almost entirely setting like the details levels, AA and resolution etc.

Even playing at 1080p with maximum details/AA most game will barely get over 500MB of peak VRAM usage, and only a handful like maybe Crysis 2, Metro 2033 will get even close to breaking the 1GB mark.

With 2GB VRAM, which is what the powerful desktop cards like the HD6970 come with, the extra 1GB make only a tiny performance boost in a handful of games (such as the two mentioned above) and even that is only when playing on serious three monitor (5760X1080 resolution) eyefinity setups.

marco_polo wrote: »
    It is just dedicated RAM for the GPU, which basically acts as a buffer between the CPU and Graphics cars. Its is mostly for storing textures and frames for display. Basically free VRAM is never used just because it is there, the amount of VRAM a game engine uses depends almost entirely setting like the details levels, AA and resolution etc.

Even playing at 1080p with maximum details/AA most game will barely get over 500MB of peak VRAM usage, and only a handful like maybe Crysis 2, Metro 2033 will get even close to breaking the 1GB mark.

With 2GB VRAM, which is what the powerful desktop cards like the HD6970 come with, the extra 1GB make only a tiny performance boost in a handful of games (such as the two mentioned above) and even that is only when playing on serious three monitor (5760X1080 resolution) eyefinity setups.

So 1.5Gb is plenty, great that's a few needless bob saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm interested in a gaming laptop, however the graphics driver situation worries me. Firstly you're going to be on the mobile version of forceware or catalyst, secondly some laptops don't even do this (a friend had a Dell with a radeon GPU which was stuck on some driver version available on the Dell website that never changed).

So in general how compatible are games playing on the Mobile drivers? Is there any difference between nivida and ATI in this regard?

And secondly, take Alienware - the forums are full of stories that you can't install even the Mobile drivers (on some models/cards)- mainly because of the fact there's 2 graphics cards (one simpler less power-hungry one for desktop) - you're stuck with a modified version released by Dell when they can be bothered - I'm really not interested in installing hacked bioses etc just to keep up to date.

So does anyone use a laptop for general gaming, does it allow the standard mobile drivers to be installed and how compatible are they with games. I'm not obsessed with playing bleeding edge games with all the eye candy turned on - I'm looking for a solid gaming experience without spending hours figuring out how to get games to run.

pH wrote: »
    I'm interested in a gaming laptop, however the graphics driver situation worries me. Firstly you're going to be on the mobile version of forceware or catalyst, secondly some laptops don't even do this (a friend had a Dell with a radeon GPU which was stuck on some driver version available on the Dell website that never changed).

So in general how compatible are games playing on the Mobile drivers? Is there any difference between nivida and ATI in this regard?

And secondly, take Alienware - the forums are full of stories that you can't install even the Mobile drivers (on some models/cards)- mainly because of the fact there's 2 graphics cards (one simpler less power-hungry one for desktop) - you're stuck with a modified version released by Dell when they can be bothered - I'm really not interested in installing hacked bioses etc just to keep up to date.

So does anyone use a laptop for general gaming, does it allow the standard mobile drivers to be installed and how compatible are they with games. I'm not obsessed with playing bleeding edge games with all the eye candy turned on - I'm looking for a solid gaming experience without spending hours figuring out how to get games to run.

Now that you mention it....+1:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

The thing with people posting problems on forums as you may well know is that for every problem posted theirs probably 90/100 guys who didn't have a problem.

As regards drivers Nvidia are very reliable in releasing and updating all drivers, especially for Alienware products. I'm sure Alienware collaborates with them on some level as gaming laptops are no good if they can't run the games.

AMD/ATI have a worse reputation in this regard though still sufficient I understand.

You shouldn't have a problem running any new game at least on medium settings with a new Alienware laptop, at least with a Nvidia card anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Jaafa wrote: »
    As regards drivers Nvidia are very reliable in releasing and updating all drivers, especially for Alienware products. I'm sure Alienware collaborates with them on some level as gaming laptops are no good if they can't run the games.

And yet a quick look online shows lots of threads like this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m14x/611276-nvidia-280-28-driver-replaced-inf-file.html

Which seem to be clearly saying that on the 14x you can't just download drivers from nvidia and install - you need patched drivers from god knows where.

This is what's worrying me - I'm not that interested if the fact there are solutions (there clearly are) I'm just not that interested and don't want the hassle - the very minimum would be a laptop that can stay up to date with the standard drivers downloaded from ATI or NVIDIA - clearly the 14x doesn't meet this requirement - I'm wondering what laptops do?

And yet a quick look online shows lots of threads like this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m14x/611276-nvidia-280-28-driver-replaced-inf-file.html

Which seem to be clearly saying that on the 14x you can't just download drivers from nvidia and install - you need patched drivers from god knows where.

This is what's worrying me - I'm not that interested if the fact there are solutions (there clearly are) I'm just not that interested and don't want the hassle - the very minimum would be a laptop that can stay up to date with the standard drivers downloaded from ATI or NVIDIA - clearly the 14x doesn't meet this requirement - I'm wondering what laptops do?

That link you posted to has a guy looking for a driver that's still in beta. Its not as if they're not releasing, its just that he just wants an early solution. Then if you read on you can see people saying they have no problem playing any games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I just updated my GT 420m drivers from the nvidia website and it worked fine for what its worth. The integrated cards driver wouldn't update thought for some reason.

It's very hit and miss, the last time I tried neither of them would work. (XPS 15 with optimus)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I bought an MSI GT780r last month.

To be honest, I'm not happy with the build quality at all, keyboard surround keeps lifting off, there are dark patches with the keyboard backlight and the touchpad is a bit dodgy/unresponsive. I saw these issues being posted on forums but thought that the one I'd get would be grand and wouldn't have these issues. I thought wrong =) Other than the build quality and design its a beast though so I'm reasonably happy with the purchase and its working well and serving its purpose.

If I got a do over though I would probably buy an alienware.

• Advertisement

Made a purchase today :D

Where'd you end up getting it from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

watcha get :D?

Jaafa wrote: »
    Where'd you end up getting it from?

Media Markt.....I never mentioned I'm in Holland for work, went down, saw an ASUS G73s and got it for 1300! I DONT wanna hear the flaws of the thing!

It was the last one they had (display) so I got it 100 off, but they are recovering it in english for me as we speak (obv was in dutch):)

i'll post specs when I'm home but I checked the windows index and bar the sata hard drive everything's above 7.0!

Media Markt.....I never mentioned I'm in Holland for work, went down, saw an ASUS G73s and got it for 1300! I DONT wanna hear the flaws of the thing!

It was the last one they had (display) so I got it 100 off, but they are recovering it in english for me as we speak (obv was in dutch):)

i'll post specs when I'm home but I checked the windows index and bar the sata hard drive everything's above 7.0!

That'll do. ;)

Advertisement