Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS questions - installing apps

Options
  • 15-09-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

My understanding is that you can install enterprise apps, if you have a license agreement, for your own organization. If you want to make an app available commercially it has to go through the App Store.

Is this correct? Say you were developing a particularly niche application it would still have to go through the app store and Apple still get a cut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

You can do ad hoc distribution of iOS apps but would be limited to 100 devices. I think it's more for testing. Thats what I've used it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Evil Phil wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can install enterprise apps, if you have a license agreement, for your own organization. If you want to make an app available commercially it has to go through the App Store.

Is this correct? Say you were developing a particularly niche application it would still have to go through the app store and Apple still get a cut.

http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

Says in the compare notes, your app doesn't get onto the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

Says in the compare notes, your app doesn't get onto the app store.

Yeah, both that's for apps deployed in-house. Not apps you've making available commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hey phil, i had to do something for 7up last month and only way i found was adhoc distribution, you're allowed a max of 100 devices, you add each devices UUID when making the license, then you provide the compiled .app file
    apart from this it will have to go through the store, as far as i know !

a work around would be to distribute the app for free but have a protection system on it [simple password/serial number that you handout]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

All good advice.

What is it that you want to achieve in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It's a commercial application that will be sold to customers in the end. But its such a niche market we wondering if the app store is necessary.

Advertisement