Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can engineerd oak doors be planed down??

• 15-09-2011 9:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can engineered white oak doors be planed down.

I need to take about 3mm off the ends of the doors,as they are rubbing off the carpet.

Can they be planed down like a normal solid wood door,or would I ruin the engineered white oak finish?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hi paddy yes they can be planed like an ordinary door. No issues with it at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi paddy yes they can be planed like an ordinary door. No issues with it at all

Sweet,thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

is there no adjustment in the hinges ?????

massy086 wrote: »
    is there no adjustment in the hinges ?????

I dont understand you?:confused:

They are just normal steel door hinges wth 4 screw holes in each of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

yes but if u take out 3 screws from each hinge and half loosen the other two left in the hinge,s then try raise the door then tighten up the top screw see if that gives you the clearance you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Massey-if the door is raised, then what happens to the gap at the top?-also the hinge recesses on the frame will have to be recut,screw holes plugged and redrilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

dont mind moveing tha door plane it just be sure to plane it from both sides so you dont break out the oak on the end of the plane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Don't go messing with the hinges Paddy - will look awful and is way too much hassle. Use a plane but be careful if you are using an electric plane - put it on the lowest setting and take your time and don't offer the plane to the edge first it will chip and splinter it. Be prepared to have a few goes at it - i.e. plane it first then hang the door again and repeat - nothing worse than trying to take off the 3mm in one go and then realise you've done too much and have a big gap at bottom. Bit of time and patience go along way on a job like this.

I went for a 12mm thick underlay upstairs in the house to give a nice undefoor feel when walking around.So this is whay the doors are catching and rubbing.

Me thinks I should get the carpenter back to plane the 6 doors.

Knowing my luck,Id just fcuk all the doors up.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

get someone who has a festool skilsaw and track system to cut your doors for you.unbeatable finish for this type of job imo

• Advertisement

get someone who has a festool skilsaw and track system to cut your doors for you.unbeatable finish for this type of job imo

Fancy a nixer then??

5 doors.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Word of advice to the carpenter :- Add on a few yoyo's extra to allow for hagglin'

red sean wrote: »
    Word of advice to the carpenter :- Add on a few yoyo's extra to allow for hagglin'

PMSL.:D

paddy147 wrote: »

Fancy a nixer then??

Where are u based paddy? I might be able to sort you out

Dublin,near the airport.

Dublin,near the airport.

Ah right I'm not working in Dublin this week. Might be working up there next week if that is any good to you?

Ah right I'm not working in Dublin this week. Might be working up there next week if that is any good to you?

That would be great.:)
    I need to get the doors soon though,as none of them open fully due to the thicker underlay and carpet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You could use rising butt hinges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Fancy a nixer then??

sorry for late reply paddy,i actually do loads of work around that area but am currently just too busy ,you seem like a handy enough fella who could maybe hire or borrow a saw like this and save yourself a few quid

sorry for late reply paddy,i actually do loads of work around that area but am currently just too busy ,you seem like a handy enough fella who could maybe hire or borrow a saw like this and save yourself a few quid

I dont want to risk fcuking up 5 doors though.;):D

• Advertisement
Advertisement