Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to import textiles

Options
  • 15-09-2011 9:19pm

Hi Guys,

looking for advice.

I'm looking to brings in textiles from Bangladesh and I'm finding very difficult understanding what charges are likely to occur importing such items. I will give you an example. I will import say 2000 units costing about 1 euro each.

Now I'm just wondering what will I have to pay on top of this regarding customs and tax, and are there any other hidden charges?

Is there any one that could inform me and give a rough figure what I'm faced with and break it down in simple terms.

Thanks Buddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Hi Guys,

looking for advice.

I'm looking to brings in textiles from Bangladesh and I'm finding very difficult understanding what charges are likely to occur importing such items. I will give you an example. I will import say 2000 units costing about 1 euro each.

Now I'm just wondering what will I have to pay on top of this regarding customs and tax, and are there any other hidden charges?

Is there any one that could inform me and give a rough figure what I'm faced with and break it down in simple terms.

Thanks Buddy

Buddy,

You will pay customs of prob 6.5% of their true value~(must show an invoice) here in ireland so say you are importing 2000 units @ €1:

Cost of units: €2,000
    Excise: @ 6.5% €130
    Vat @ 21%: €447.30 (Paid up front and the 21% is on the total incl Excise)

You will also have shipping costs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hi Guys,

looking for advice.

Thanks Buddy

Hello Buddysmiley,

In relation to imports of textiles from Bangladesh, please note the following ;

1) Your supplier should be able to provide a socalled GSP Form A. If that form is available at time of importation you will qualify for a reduced or perhaps zero rate of import duty.
    2) Normal import duty for most clothing is 12%
    3) Duty - if any - is calculated over the cost of the product plus marine / cargo insurance and freight costs
    4) VAT is calculated over the foregoing plus Duty (if any)

I suspect that the items you are looking at are t-shirts. The customs tariff number for T-shirts is 6109100000. With a GSP form A the duty is reduced to zero.

In relation to the shipping, be carefull. I would recommend to ask your supplier for both a CIF (Cost Insurance and Freight) and an FOB (Free on Board) price.

In case of CIF, your supplier will be responsible to pay the freight upto arrival Dublin port. In that case is absolutely imperative that before the shipment leaves, you know who the agent in Dublin will be that receives the shipment so you can double check the arrival charges. Without having that information you run the risk of unpleasant surprises in the form of very high costs.

In case of FOB, your supplier is responsible for the delivery to the port of shipment, the handling / loading cost in the port of shipment and the export customs formalities. You will be responsible for the freight charges and cargo insurance from port of shipment. In that case I would recommend you check with local Irish freight forwarders what their costs would be from FOB to your door.

Attached please find an overview that explains some of the terms and steps you should take in order to import products from abroad. Feel free to post again or PM me if you require any further information.

Cheers,
    Rudolf

Thank you guys for your information,

your spot on with your information Rudolf regarding tariff code and the process. One other question, if you don't mind answering. I'm bringing in samples first from the factory and I'm guessing the box is around 19kg in weight. My question is will I have to pay tax and what way will I tell the supplier to package them. In one box or have two. Or does it really matter. My own objective is keep the cost as small as possible.

Also Im sure I will need a customs agent for big orders, do you work as one?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Thank you guys for your information,

your spot on with your information Rudolf regarding tariff code and the process. One other question, if you don't mind answering. I'm bringing in samples first from the factory and I'm guessing the box is around 19kg in weight. My question is will I have to pay tax and what way will I tell the supplier to package them. In one box or have two. Or does it really matter. My own objective is keep the cost as small as possible.

Also Im sure I will need a customs agent for big orders, do you work as one?

Thank you

Hello Buddysmiley,

you're welcome.

In relation to one or two packages for your samples, be aware that the couriers and airlines charge on the basis of actual weight or volume weight, whichever is the greater. Volume weight is calculated on the basis that 1 cubic meter = 167 kgs. It would be in your interest to create as little volume as possible and if it can all fit into 1 box you may even avoid paying on the volume of the shipment.

You are likely to face having to pay duty and VAT. Not sure if your supplier can arrange a GSP form A for samples. If he can then you avoid 12% duty over the value of the samples, plus the freight cost. Be aware, if Irish customs does not trust the value on the documents accompanying the shipment they can ask you for evidence of what you paid for the goods, e.g. a copy of the bank transfer or paypal/credit card receipt.

I would be happy to offer assistance on any aspect of the shipping / customs clearance process.

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

Hi Rudolf,

Thank you so much for your reply's, if your on Skype pm me your details so i can add you and there fore keep in touch

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement