Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things for an unemployed person to do during the week around Drogheda

Options
  • 15-09-2011 9:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, topic title says it all really. I'm unemployed and my brother will be heading back to college soon so I need something to do during the week (inb4GETAJOB!). I don't know what it is exactly I'm looking for. But does anyone know of anything in and around Drogheda to keep an unemployed 24 year old busy during the week? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

There isnt really a whole lot to do around the town. There are a few walks along the Boyne and maybe you could join a gym.. Also A Town Fights Back are looking for volenters. You might be able to pick up some work out of that if you get to know some of the business owners in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

exercise & work experience is all id concentrate on, other than job hunting i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Set up a window cleaning round

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I would concentrate 1000% on getting a job. If not your a free loader. Pen are hiring in dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Watch all seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Excellent show! Not sure what you could do after that week though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Watch all seasons of Seinfeld. Excellent show! Not sure what you could do after that week though....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

List:
    Go to gym.
    Watch Seinfield & Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Look into volunteer work.

Without meaning to be rude to people saying look for work, I am looking. It's just that I've sent multiple CVs round to various places, and it takes 10 minutes in the morning to check out job sites to see if anything new or relevant have been posted. This topic is designed to find something to do in between those times where I'm looking for work.

EDIT: Also, Anxious, what's "Pen"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

TSClan,

This thread might explain who "Pen" are (National Pen, Dundalk)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056384848

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I joined Energie when i was finished my last Fas course (im coming to that in a mo..) and i have to say its a great gym.

Maybe put your name down to volunteer out with any local charities or schemes that could do with some manpower.
    If theres any interest spurred that way, may i suggest checking out http://www.volunteerlouth.ie/.

Also, FAS courses are an option. Especially ones like ECDL, which cost a few bob to do privately. Its always a good idea to try and upskill just to feel like your doing something, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

after a year unemployed you can get the back to education and go study some more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lukekhealth

Get in shape! Its something you can put your energy into and will motivate you to not give up looking for a job.
    Check out my page facebook(dot)com/lukekhealth for the cheapest personal training rates around and classes in the drogheda area

I'd also agree with the whole "get in shape" thing, but that's a bigger mental challenge than anything else. Great to have the free time to be able to do it, but it's hard to keep it up and gyms can be expensive places.

You could always try and pick up an inexpensive hobby (second hand music instrument, for example, which you could try learn by youtubing or such, so it doesn't cost anything more than the ase cost of the instrument in the first place).

Voluntary stuff in the town can be great if you get into them (I started going to order of malta three weeks ago, and although I'm still not really settled into it or thoroughly enjoying it or such, i've heard a lot of people really get to love being a member of such things after a couple of months when they settle in and such).

FAS courses are also great (and I believe you get an extra €30 per week if you're unemployed more than 12 months). You could look into back to education (which is something I plan to do next year).

I think the hardest part of being unemployed is that you do tend to lose touch with people. Personally, I know a lot of people, but I wouldn't say I've any real friends at all (people I'd meet up with regularly or such) so even just doing basic things can turn into a bit of a struggle (for example, going to the gym or joining a voluntary place could be a bit of a laugh with someone you know heading in with you, but on your own, these things ca nbe very daunting and at times you just won't want to go to them and there's no one to encourage you). So be wary of that.

Out from those fairly basic suggestions I think you're on your own, though. Drogheda is a boring place at the best of times. If there's something in particular you'd like to do and there's no one catering to it you could always try and get your own little group going with boardsies meeting up to do something (or a community notice in one of the papers to get people together for whatever reason).

Luke, i see your doing a kettlebell evening classes in the barbican in a few weeks, how long is it running?

Hi thanks for the enquiry, The classes have have only been set up recently. I mainly do 1-1 but kettlebells work really well in groups so I decided to set them up.Do you train with kettlebells yourself?

I dont, but i overheard someone mentioning it when i was in the barbican a few days ago. I dont know much about them, but i heard they are good for working upper body muscles?

They are a very good tool for working all the major muscle groups in your body and getting them to all work together, Your upper body will also benefit greatly from them.Come try the classes if you like they're fun, they're are suitable for beginners too.

Advertisement