Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

border leicester

• 15-09-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭

right i'm think i'm going to go with the border leicester,
    few question's,
    • what age is the ram able to breed
    • are they good workers, (how many sheep will 1 ram cover)
    • are they a birthy sheep, how many lambs would they have
    • am i wise at all,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056383586

might make more sense if you read this first:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Hi yog my knowledge of Border Leicesters is with their crossesm rather than having the rams myself, but here goes.
    Crosses are prolific and excellent mothers,
    believe they can work from 7/8 months as any other breed,
    not the most energetic sheep so would say 30/40 max for hogget and less for a lamb.
    yes they are prolific research shows 1.8 lambs per cross breed ewe
    Are you wise? no harm in experimenting but I would try Blue faced Leicester rather than Border Leicester tighter wooled and I find the crosses better.

Need to keep an eye on the ram as pure they are awfully soft sheep with a tendency to fall apart quickly. This is not as apparant in the cross breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cran wrote: »
    Need to keep an eye on the ram as pure they are awfully soft sheep with a tendency to fall apart quickly. This is not as apparant in the cross breeds.

Yep, we had them years ago. Found the lambs a bit slow to get up as well. Which doesn't help if the weather is bad.

Advertisement