Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear for adventure racing

Options
  • 15-09-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Lo All,
    Its my first time posting on this section of Boards.
    I'm thinking of doing some Adventure races next year, (Dingle, Headless Horseman, Gaelforce) and I was wondering what sort of gear do I need for the running/trail running side of the events. I cycle allot at the moment so I have the bike, shorts etc.

I was thinking of a list of the following but please correct me if I am wrong:
    Small backpack(15-20L) with water reservoir(2/3L).
    Trail running shoes.(any advice on shoes greatly appreciated).
    Tri-suit or other clothing??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hey there,

I've only done the shorter Connemara challenge, but after two years I've realised the following...

Backpack - You only need something small, I'd say max 6/7L capacity, but whats most important is external pockets that are easily accessed - elasticated netting ones seem best to me rather than zipped ones.

On the hydro pack, again, think about what you're doing, a run, some biking, more running. You'll have drinks on the bike - any real need to carry 2-3kg extra on your running sections?
    I had mine 2L full the first time I used it, next time out I had 500ml, which was really all I needed until I got a chance to refil.
    So I'll keep the 2L I have, but won't ever get close to filling it.

Trail running shoes - there's many about, I got Salomon Speed Cross 2 and had them the second time out - far better grip on the off-road and up & down the mountain.
    Just be careful not to get Goretex ones - they will keep the water out if you're just hiking on paths, but if running in these events, the water will get in & won't be able to get out.

I haven't used any special clothing I didn't already have, lycra running shorts to prevent chaffing, base layer on top with cycling jersey & a light jacket in the backpack in case it was needed.

For a longer road cycle like in Gael Force, I guess some others may recommend tri shorts or suit to protect the ass, suppose its down to personal choice on that one.

Oh, if you plan on training over winter, I got a great asics running gloves & hat, very light, but will protect the head and hands on freezing cold days, and easily stashed in a pocket if you get too warm later in a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Thanks Spurscormac
    All that info is very much appreciated.
    I'm guessing that you didnt use the cycling shorts for the Connemara Challenge?

Will def be training over the winter. I have base layers etc as I used to do allot of mountain walking/climbing but kids put a stop to that!!! :)

Thanks again for all the info

Eoin

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In my first AR I wore a backpack. For my second I got rid of it. I hated running in the thing! I fit all essential kit into the three pockets of my cycle jacket. (Which was also a nice cushion when I went AOT down a mountain). Light cycle shorts would be fine to run in, just dont use ones with heavy padding. Have two bottles on the bike, which you refill, and carry one of them on the run if needs be.

I wouldnt wear a trisuit. Toilet breaks would be a nightmare. Clothing, apart from essential kit, depends on the weather on the day, but a light base with a light cycle jacket over would be ok if its not freezing. Shoes is down to personal choice, just something with good grip.

Thanks Oryx.
    To be honest I never thought about the toilet breaks. Thanks for that.
    I know one or two of the guys in my club ran the Duathlon in Limerick last year in their cycling shorts so maybe that will do me.
    Thanks for the advice about the backpack. I've been used to wearing one when mountain biking or climbing so I might try it out in training but thanks again for the info. Its great to hear the experiences of others.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I think the backpack thing will depend on personal preference & your need for drink intake on the run - some people may use those marathon belts with a couple of small bottles attached, others may not need any water at all until they reach their bike.
    Again, this will depend on the individual and the course, where and when in the race you have access to liquids, bike or water stations, and whether you need your own supply.
    Also, some races will have mandatory kit, depending on what this is, most of it should fit nice and snugly in your pockets or the backpack.
    Try it out and see how you get on, see if you can borrow a small pack and decide which you prefer.

As for the shorts, no need for cycling shorts on a short bike ride like the Connemara challenge, its when you start to get into the longer rides you'll have to decide whether you'll need the padding or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

As has been said it's all personal preference, I used a backpack for my first race as I didn't know what to expect. Haven't used one since even though a lot of people still do, it looks and feels uncomfortable when running. Everything can be fitted into a cycling jersey.

Sometimes I will wear a second jersey under bibshorts and keep some of the mandatory kit in those pockets as it stops the stuff bouncing around while running and just keep gels etc in the outer jersey which I will need to access during the race.

Good luck with whatever you do

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I love my backpack! I cant stand having loads of stuff in a cycling top. I just made sure I got a pack thats fits me extremely well, that wont move around and holds everything tight inside. I have a water pack to go with it, it can hold 2ltr but usually only fill half.
    If its a short cycle section (less than 1 hr) I only have running shorts on. I'd prefere the comfort while running to the comfort while cycling.

The cycle top is still good to have cos usually its made not to ride up you back which is a god send with a pack on. Also those pockets are handy for gel and other wrappers, cos rubbish on a course is a eye sore for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I love my backpack! I cant stand having loads of stuff in a cycling top.

+1 to that. Another problem with the pockets in the cycling top is all the stuff that falls out. I was in the first wave in Gaelforce and lots of the athletes opted for carrying everything in cycling tops. It was unbelievable how much stuff littered the route after only a few miles in- gels, foil blankets, jackets etc.

If opting for a backpack make sure it has a chest strap as well as waistband so it fits snugly and doesn't bounce about.

A third option would be the fanny pack/bum bag. You can get ones with a bottle holder and very accessible pockets for gels etc. Can be very light and comfortable too.

Thanks so much for all the info and views. Its very much appreciated I can tell ye.

I am going to do the Humpty Dumpty dualthlon at the end of Oct to see how I get on with the running after being on the bike for a bit. It being my first ever running event it will be interesting to see how things go.

Again thanks for all the info.

Eoin

Advertisement