Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To burn fat or build muscle? Which is better?

Options
  • 15-09-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Sup, I'm a 17 year old male who weighs 90kg and I am of 6ft 4 inches in height.
    The reason I have made this post is that i am wondering if it is best to focus on burning fat to achieve my ideal weight of 80kg and then focusing on building muscle or strength training, should I do both at the same time? now i know brning fat is when ypu burn more calories than you eat, and building muscles requires you to eat more, intake more calories per sé. So am I doing myself no good by trying to burn fat and build muscle at the same time?

Just for information purposes only. I run on a treadmill 4 times a week and burn 1000-1200 depending on the session.Also I used to weigh 108kg but toned myself down to 88 over the last year and grew 2 inches ( I put on 2kg over the summer, sue me).

So what is my best option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Big lad. Someone's gonna say 'goals'. 80 kg not much for 6' 4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

Where is the 'ideal' weight of 80 kg coming from? Seems very small for your height..if your goals are fat loss predominantly do some resistance training focusing on the major lifts ie squats,bench press,dead lift etc 2-3 times a week and some interval style cardio sessions...how's your diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Sup, I'm a 17 year old male who weighs 90kg and I am of 6ft 4 inches in height.
    The reason I have made this post is that i am wondering if it is best to focus on burning fat to achieve my ideal weight of 80kg and then focusing on building muscle or strength training, should I do both at the same time? now i know brning fat is when ypu burn more calories than you eat, and building muscles requires you to eat more, intake more calories per sé. So am I doing myself no good by trying to burn fat and build muscle at the same time?

Just for information purposes only. I run on a treadmill 4 times a week and burn 1000-1200 depending on the session.Also I used to weigh 108kg but toned myself down to 88 over the last year and grew 2 inches ( I put on 2kg over the summer, sue me).

So what is my best option?

Lucky sod! Get as big & as strong as you can, then worry about getting cut!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm going to agree with the lads above, 80Kg at 6ft 4in is quite light.

Why is 80Kg your goal?

Getting stronger and thereby building muscle is probably the answer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Are you saying that's how much calories you burn on each treadmill run?

If so, I'm sorry, you're burning nowhere near that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

17 yrs old your not fully developed yet and at nearly 2mtrs tall your a tall person.. When your about 20yrs you could weighr 100 kgs and still appear thin. If you eat well and use resistance trainning you can lower body fat and increase body size...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

FYG wrote: »

Ah now be fair, he could be running for 4 days nonstop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

80 kg is a little light for 6'4 OP even if you are of a generally thinner build, my brother is around an inch shorter than you but needs about 90 otherwise he starts to look a bit gaunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I think if you got down to 80 kg all you would be is skin and bone. I weigh 90 kg aswell but only 6 foot in height. My ideal weight would be about 85 kg so 80kg wouldnt sound right for someone that tall. What I can see it that you should build muscle and add a few more kg's.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

All I know is you're going to have to get a different username if you go near 80kg, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Use resistance work too build up your body and weight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Go on a bulk and get huge, at 6'4 and 80kg you would look like a piece of celery.

Honestly i just dont get lads who want to be toned... get swole cuz.

OP do you enjoy skinny jeans by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

jugger0 wrote: »
    OP do you enjoy skinny jeans by any chance?

Seriously this is not, and never will be, MISC. Give it a rest please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd recommend dropping the weight first and adding in weight-training as a secondary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'd recommend dropping the weight first and adding in weight-training as a secondary.

Why?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

jaykhunter wrote: »

Would it not be better for him to bulk up then cut so he has something to cut to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tankosaurus

hmmm alot of people are curious why I chose 80 kg to be my ideal weight. Well to be honest I'm not really sure, but as i have said i do weigh 90kg and still have a bit of stomach flap and that is what I primarily want to lose. Being 6ft4 I do have very strong and big thigh muscles so that may be why I do weigh 90kg. i am of a large build (wide) and not lanky so to say. So maybe 85 kg would be my ideal weight, but I'll be sure when I get there.

1000 cal is waht the monitor on the treadmill states. I know that its inaccurate as it calculates calories burnage when the treadmill is accelerating to be the same as full speed so I know it is slightly inaccurate. To compensate for that inaccuracy i run until I burn 1100 or 1200, depends on the session really.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

1000 cal is waht the monitor on the treadmill states. I know that its inaccurate as it calculates calories burnage when the treadmill is accelerating to be the same as full speed so I know it is slightly inaccurate. To compensate for that inaccuracy i run until I burn 1100 or 1200, depends on the session really.

Inaccurate is an understatement if that's what it says your burning.

I'm sorry, but you are definitely not burning anywhere near that. I would hazard a guess that you may not even be burning half of what you think.

What do you do on the treadmill, so we can give you a better indication?

Inaccurate is an understatement if that's what it says your burning.

I'm sorry, but you are definitely not burning anywhere near that. I would hazard a guess that you may not even be burning half of what you think.

What do you do on the treadmill, so we can give you a better indication?

I jog for an hour covering about 12km jogging at 14km/h with taking breaks of 2 or 3 5min intervals and walking at 6km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

lift heavy and eat more lest you go below 80kg and become the equivalent of a malnourished african child

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It has been said a few times already OP but 80kg at 6'4" is light.
    Very light.

I'm 6'1" & 98-102kg depending on the day of the week it is.

I could drop down to what would be my "ideal" weight of 93kg and I'd still be 13kg more than your idea of your ideal weight.

Start lifting weight 3-4 times per week and instead of spending that long on a treadmill, go to a park, run some sprints or some hill sprints and get more bang for your buck.

Advertisement