Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home cinema wireing

Options
  • 15-09-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi
    just wondering about home cinema/ surround sound.
    im just about to start wiring my new house and was wondering if i actually should buy a cinema kit now for cable runs or do i run cables back to a point or what..

i am an electrician but did only industrial and maintenance

thanks for any advice and any tips very welcome an any aspect of the job

ps is surround sound different to home cinema

and is it the same setup for radio in the kitchen
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I will point you here first, its an amazing resource and the gallery will make you drool, probably affect your budget, and get you in trouble with the missus/partner, but it will all be so worth it in the end. :)

However you are asking the right question at the right time, get all that cabling in now while you can.

Basically you need to put your thinking hat on and determine for each and every room, what do you want to have in that room. Key point: this does not mean you need to buy every telly, set of speakers, etc... for every room but will allow you get all the wiring in place so you can add over time as money allows and avoids the mess of chasing walls when you are living there.

Once you know what you want in every room the next step is to decide whether you want everything stored in a single spot or a bit more distributed? This will determine where you need to feed all those cables back too.

I am not an expert but have done some post build stuff and if I knew all I know now I would have had it done during the build.

Home cinema and surround sound are not really the same; surround sound would be more about how a set of speakers work and how they surround you with sound when watching a movie like when you are in the cinema. However home cinema is more like bringing the cinema experience to your home either via a big TV or projector and speakers which surround you for sound.

Here is some information on speaker set-up for home cinema (TV/Movie viewing), a 5.1 layout would have been the norm in the past however in your case you might want to consider 7.1 which is where things are moving towards.

http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electronics/Home_Theater/Speaker_Layout_and_Configurations.aspx
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

Hopefully a start...Good Luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdesbt

thanks edd. ill get looking around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

jdesbt wrote: »
    thanks edd. ill get looking around

No worries, here's a few other options to consider depending on how you want to go.

I would still personally avoid wireless given you have the ability to get wiring in now.

Best of luck !

Advertisement