Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to UK

Options
  • 15-09-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My wife and I are at the very early stages of contemplation a move to the UK.

I'm checking out the kind of work is available in my range (IT/Support/Team Lead roles).
    We're looking at the price range for rents in the area.

after that,... what should we do? We have an 18month old little lad. a house with a morgage,...

when the day comes that we move, who needs to be informed (on both sides)? We arent really sure what's involved, so any tips help would be welcome.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

This thread is a start and have a read of this

What part of the country are you looking at ?

Reading Bracknell Basingstoke is were some the big IT companies are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

What kind of IT Work are you currently in? Also what kind of salary do you expect in the UK? Wages in the UK seem to be alot lower than in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

tech wrote: »
    What kind of IT Work are you currently in? Also what kind of salary do you expect in the UK? Wages in the UK seem to be alot lower than in Ireland.

Im a Team leader on a support desk for a leading retail chain in ireland ... the wages being less doesnt bother me, cost of living is much lower too

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

im living just outside coventry and to be honest the cost of living isnt that much cheaper than ireland,
    tech is right about the wages thing too, im in the motor trade, the pay was a bit rubbish in ireland but it was loads more than im getting here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My wife and I are at the very early stages of contemplation a move to the UK.

I'm checking out the kind of work is available in my range (IT/Support/Team Lead roles).
    We're looking at the price range for rents in the area.

after that,... what should we do? We have an 18month old little lad. a house with a morgage,...

when the day comes that we move, who needs to be informed (on both sides)? We arent really sure what's involved, so any tips help would be welcome.

thanks

Moving to a foreign country with a young family is a very big undertaking and requires a lot of research! For example, one of the first things you'll miss is your support system - friends and relations who can baby sit for you, provide advice and support in the early stages of bring up a child and so on. True, you can build up a new one, but that will take time... then there is culture shock, even though you speak the local language there will be lots of things they do differently over there that will get to you and annoy the hell out of you and it will be even more difficult for your wife who has the added task of covering the baby's needs as well.

And went it comes to your country of choice, I can't see any great advantage to your move - as others have pointed out, the salaries are not so great, the cost of living is not that different and you are going to have to rent somewhere to live over there, plus still deal with the house in Ireland.

I'm not saying don't go, but if your main objective in going is economic then I think you'll find it hard going, because the economic advantages are not going to be so great that it will win hands down.

Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Ok,

the area we are looking at is swindon/reading as we have family there, an aunt and a few cousins our own age.

we wont make any move untill we have the house sold.

cost of living cost my have come a lot closer recently but things like VRT on cars, road tax on cars are all meant to be cheaper, clothes/bits for the child are deffo cheaper in UK, ....

We're still only thinking about it, would need to do the sums and see if it makes sence

Advertisement