Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What marks do you need to get to attain a 1.1 in an arts degree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Thanks!

I think its 70!!

ah yuck, what grade for a 2.1 then?

anyone know the percentage that get 1.1 in arts every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

ah yuck, what grade for a 2.1 then?
    I think its 60-70 but dont quote me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

I'm not great at percentages but I would guess 200%

• Advertisement

Opics wrote: »
    I'm not great at percentages but I would guess 200%

lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

closeline wrote: »
    I think its 60-70 but dont quote me..

Had to be done :P

Aha Shake wrote: »
    Had to be done :P

hhaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

closeline wrote: »
    I think its 70!!

Yes.

1:1 - 70%+
    2:1 - 60%-69%
    2:2 - 50%-59%
    Third - 45%-49%
    Pass - 40%-44%
    Fail - <40%

Depends on the subject. Can be as low as 2-3% of the class in some subjects and possibly as high as 10-15% in others. I wouldn't know how many achieve firsts based on the combined results of their four subjects in first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

But the final grade is only counted from the final year....right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not for all arts modules - there is a document that gives the details, think its called something like Standards and Marks, though not sure - someone else may know the correct title of it. Maths Studies is one third of your second year mark and two thirds of your third year mark to make up your final mark overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Not for all arts modules - there is a document that gives the details, think its called something like Standards and Marks, though not sure - someone else may know the correct title of it. Maths Studies is one third of your second year mark and two thirds of your third year mark to make up your final mark overall

Marks and Standards?
    http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/marksandstandards/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

teddy b123 wrote: »

Thats the one

and still get a 2.1? does anyone know?:S

For most subjects honours are not awarded in first and second years but only for the final year of the degree. The exceptions are listed as follows in Marks and Standards:
    For Archaeology, Economics, Mathematical Studies, Philosophy and Politics the mark in the BA (Hons) Degree is the combination of the aggregate marks obtained in the Second Arts and BA (Hons) Degree Examinations, in the following proportions, provided that both years have been passed independently:
    Second Arts 33 1/3 % (i.e. 1/3 of 1200 marks), BA (Hons) Degree 66 2/3% (i.e. 2/3 of 1200 marks).

http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/marksandstandards/2011CACSSS.pdf

So it is possible, but the probability of doing well depends entirely on putting in a good effort in third year :)

so if its 1/3 of your second year mark how does that work out in the end?

like is that like a third of 60 percent in second years results brought towards end year exam?

so if its 1/3 of your second year mark how does that work out in the end?

like is that like a third of 60 percent in second years results brought towards end year exam?

Yes, a third of the second year grade if that grade was 60 percent. This is added to 2/3rds of the third year grade to produce an aggregate final award.

This does not apply to any subject not on the list: the final year grade is all that is counted for awarding honours in those subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

No offence, but couldn't you have posted this in the thread where you asked what a 2.1 was a few days ago?

This board is clogged up with Arts questions that could be answered with a simple search...........

Please don't backseat mod - if you have a problem, PM me about it!!

I've merged both threads, since they are so similar

Advertisement