Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New fixie

• 15-09-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Yet another bike stolen on me over the weekend....at least I get an excuse to spend some more money on bikes!

I'm thinking of getting this fixie as a replacement. Absolutely no experience with fixies but I like the idea of having one just for city cycling. Is this good value or have you any better recommendations in around the same price range? Oh and I don't want anything too flash..plain black preferably!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

That looks pretty good for commuting, and general value for money. Nice and light, decent ratio and plain enough to not attract attention

I'd say your only other option would be to build one yourself- probably wouldn't be as light but you would make the entire bike black if you feel like it :) and have the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Have to agree, building one yourself is probably a better idea.

I'm building one for ~€100 at the moment, swapping and buying second hand parts.
    The beauty of it is, it won't look nice and no one will want it. Perfect for locking in and around town.

If you want something nice for the joy of cycling, buy that too.
    You can never have enough bikes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I know Create bikes often don't get the best reviews but I love mine and here is another option of an all-black fixie if you don't want fancy building your own one

http://www.createbikes.com/cs/eshop-detail/crblk-84.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Building one up is good fun and quite rewarding, but buying a new off the peg bike if you have the money is advised. Unless you know a decent amount that new bike will be MUCH better than one you make yourself.

Perhaps get that bike and you can build up another as a project because to get a decent bike at a fair price you'll need to spend a decent amount of time scouring for parts and a lot of time making mistakes too.

As for the bike, nice bike, decent parts and at that price it's excellent, but they only have it in two sizes, make sure the size suits before you buy.

If you're looking for a place to see some fixies in the flesh and try them out, head down to On Track. Nice lads and very helpful

Also avoid creates like the plague, quality has gotten better but the quality control is still woeful, you don't want to be one of the people who end up replacing everything on the bike. Seen one not to long ago where the BB spindle snapped. That REALLY shouldn't happen and it's quite worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

joeyamg wrote: »
    Yet another bike stolen on me over the weekend....at least I get an excuse to spend some more money on bikes!

I'm thinking of getting this fixie as a replacement. Absolutely no experience with fixies but I like the idea of having one just for city cycling. Is this good value or have you any better recommendations in around the same price range? Oh and I don't want anything too flash..plain black preferably!

Plain...black...fixie

Hmmm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I was out in Humpries Cycles in Finglas last week and they have lovely steel fixies that they build to order for €450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Morgan wrote: »
    Plain...black...fixie

Hmmm ;)

Was going to post this link too. If you can get this for €450 i'd say it's a better investment than the one in the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joeyamg

Thanks for all of the responses -I'll take a look in some of the LBS's this weekend and if nothing takes my fancy I'll go ahead and get the Felt. Building my own is something I probably will do, but I need something for work commute in the more immediate future.

@Morgan I did see your post but unfortunately it's slightly too big, I need a size 56cm

Thanks again

Advertisement