Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed with an office/gym upstairs - insulation

• 15-09-2011 11:09pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Am to joist level on the shed now and I am looking around at insulation options.
    The shed is 30ft * 19ft, upstairs not 100% sure what size it is but its a story and half so its probably big enough.
    Upstairs is going to be for my own use but I will be working there all the time, office job, and I will have the gym up there.

I posted my plan to one crowd on donedeal for a spray insulation but it came back for 2100 euro for 150mm!
    To be honest I suppose I didn't expect it to be that price;

Anyway, what are my other options as this price is a mile out of my pocket.

Rockwool, fibreglass. I have seen some of that foil blanket but not a clue if its any good?
    Then I spotted some paper stuff which is taped onto the rafters.

I worked it out around 86 sqm.

What I would like to do is achive a good high level of insulation so that it doesn't cost me a fortune. I have 2 large veluxes (5ft * 2ft) and a large window 2m wide by 1.6m high, all South facing to help give me some passive heating.

Appreciate your help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yop wrote: »
    Folks,
    Am to joist level on the shed now and I am looking around at insulation options.
    The shed is 30ft * 19ft, upstairs not 100% sure what size it is but its a story and half so its probably big enough.
    Upstairs is going to be for my own use but I will be working there all the time, office job, and I will have the gym up there.

I posted my plan to one crowd on donedeal for a spray insulation but it came back for 2100 euro for 150mm!
    To be honest I suppose I didn't expect it to be that price;

Anyway, what are my other options as this price is a mile out of my pocket.

Rockwool, fibreglass. I have seen some of that foil blanket but not a clue if its any good?
    Then I spotted some paper stuff which is taped onto the rafters.

I worked it out around 86 sqm.

What I would like to do is achive a good high level of insulation so that it doesn't cost me a fortune. I have 2 large veluxes (5ft * 2ft) and a large window 2m wide by 1.6m high, all South facing to help give me some passive heating.

Appreciate your help.

I used Weatherseal for getting both my attics spray foamed (800 cell biofoam).

The heat retention from it is unreal now,the house is toasty warm.
    :D
    But I also had the entire house slabbed out in 80mm and 50mm insulated slab,so its all adding up now to a warm house now.

I also used Rockwool 100mm insulation slabs for both heat retention and also noise reduction in some of the bedroom walls upstairs.Did the job perfectly too.

Oh and I had CS Shutters make and supply me with an industrial strength external electric roller garage door too.;):)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Spoke to a mate there earlier.
    He suggested I used insulated back slabs with no rockwool/kingspan behind it.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

insulated slabs are expensive but i dont think would do you because you need your insulation to go between rafters insulated slab wont and you will have a cold cavity

if you by kingspan or the equvilant in quinnterm or that and put that between you joists and then a foil back slab this would be as good as any just tape every joint with alloy tape to reflect the heat back also then slab over it and it still works out cheaper

But won't the rafters then be the cold bridge from out to the plasterboard? If I put up 50mm insulated slab this would elminiate it?

Or am I wrong?

• Advertisement

These DIY kits tend to be very messy and not what they are made out to be,thats all I will say on it.

Spoke to a mate there earlier.
    He suggested I used insulated back slabs with no rockwool/kingspan behind it.

Any thoughts?

I have a high pitched ceiling in the master bedroom with 2 very large veluw windows installed.

The builder fitted Xtratherm 100mm board into the roof and then he slabbed out the celing with 35mm insulated plasterboard.

The bedroom floor is also kitted out with Rockwool Flexi 100mm thick slabs and then theres a layer of 150mm Knauf insulation ontop of that.

All electrical cables,co-ax cables,cat5e cables and alarm cables are installed ontop of the insulation

This gives great accoustic and thermal insulation too.

The entire house is very warm and the master bedroom is just nutts with regards the warmth and cosyness of it.

Its very tough to get out of bed early every morning.:D

I will post pics of the floor insulation process tomorrow,as I dont have my camera on me at the moment.

Cheers Paddy, thats sound like what he was on about. The 100mm on the floor, what was that,is it 100mm backed OSB or something? This will have a little gym and weights so it will need to be able to carry myself and up to 90kg.

Thanks

Cheers Paddy, thats sound like what he was on about. The 100mm on the floor, what was that,is it 100mm backed OSB or something? This will have a little gym and weights so it will need to be able to carry myself and up to 90kg.

Thanks

Rockwool flexi is a compressed insulation roll made into a slab,100mm thick x 1200mm long x 600mm wide.

6 slabes per bale.

A bale is approx 30-35 euro (Dublin prices) from any decent builders providers (depending on where you go to).

• Advertisement

That ad is also on Donedeal (building materials section) with pics of the Rockwool.;)

Can't see that ad there, he must not be in Mayo!

Can't see that ad there, he must not be in Mayo!

Voila.:D

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/buildingmaterials/2532041

As prommised,some pics of how the bedroom floors were done..

100mm Rockwool flexi slab insulation layed down 1st,then 170mm ( sorry I said 150mm at 1st) Knauf loft insulation roll layed ontop of that.

Please not that all power cables are ontop of the insulation.

Advertisement