Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with road noise

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Long story short, found a perfect new rental property in Dublin, and it looks likely we're going to get it.

The only thing thats really bugging me is that it is only the distance of a small garden away from a pretty busy road. AND it doesn't have double glazing. The traffic outside is often queued and is easily heard in the front rooms of the house.

I've never lived by a busy road and I'm wondering, do people get used to this? Should it put me off a place thats otherwise pretty perfect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think you get used to it. I lived in an above shop flat on Camden High Street for a few years, sleepless nights for the first week then I was fine. Having said that, I am not a light sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I found it very annoying myself, had to have the TV volume quite high so I could hear it over traffic noise. Didn't bother me when sleeping though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I lived in apartment which was above busy street and pub.

You get used to car noise, but now and then you a fecking truck flying off or a Harley biker, or a kid in his 1.2 with a huge fart cannon. All in all nothing that you wouldn't get use to.

Once I remember they were putting in new pipes on that strip of the road... Right above our windows... I thought I will go crazy. My days off were allways during the week so I was allways at home for those works from 8:00 to 18:00... At some stage I was just shouting in all voice I had and I still could not hear myself!!!

So if you don't have major roadworks then it's grand, you will get used to noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Look into secondary glazing, I had it fitted a few weeks ago and it does a very good job of reducing noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I think you'll get used to the regular noise relatively quickly, I know people who live on the Heathrow fly path and while it really bothers me, they don't even notice it.

The problems you may have, as the poster above outlines, are the unusual noises you'll encounter (police, ambulance, car horns etc) If you're a really light sleeper this may be and isse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

ArticHare wrote: »
    The only thing thats really bugging me is that it is only the distance of a small garden away from a pretty busy road. AND it doesn't have double glazing. The traffic outside is often queued and is easily heard in the front rooms of the house.

the fact that it doesn't have double glazing would bother me, correct me if I am wrong but won't a lot of heat escape and double glazing offers more insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AND it doesn't have double glazing.
    I remember the days that heating had to be on all the time, as the heat escaped so fast... also, if it only has single glazed window, I'd doubt there would be any insulation fitted. Prepare to see your heating bill go up quite a bit.

I've lived in a place with single glazing a few years ago. Holy f**k it was cold. Hell, it was sometimes colder inside down outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

You do get used to the noise, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice for it not to be there. I live near a busy road and it amazes me to walk 50 m away and hear just how quiet it is. Also as mentioned, assuming you live in Ireland, in this day and age there's no excuse for renting a house with single glazing. The comfort levels will be much better with double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

i think you should be more concerned with the fact the house has no double glazing. winters here are freezing and if you dont have double glazing you will be so cold there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

i think you should be more concerned with the fact the house has no double glazing. winters here are freezing and if you dont have double glazing you will be so cold there.

Agreed, I'm not sure why this wasn't my immediate concern :) Maybe growing up in houses that didn't have double glazing! It was mentioned about changing the windows but that might be a bit flakey, otherwise I think it will put me off as we're looking at somewhere for the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

Agreed, I'm not sure why this wasn't my immediate concern :) Maybe growing up in houses that didn't have double glazing! It was mentioned about changing the windows but that might be a bit flakey, otherwise I think it will put me off as we're looking at somewhere for the long term.
    sometimes we get carried away by a houses charm and dont think of the comfort factor. With these winters get yourself a well insulated house! good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere without double glazing, if the winter is anything like last winter you will need it and it will also bring the noise levels from outside down as well.

Advertisement