Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use findit@ UCD Library?

Options
  • 15-09-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I personally have found it to be the most abysmal system ive ever had the displeasure of going near but it should be something a lot of students would be using regularly i.e accessing journals. The only place i get articles is jstor but very often i find a lot of stuff missing that UCD Library might have access to elsewhere and due to their rubbish facilities i cant get at them.

Do you use the library search functions for anything other then finding books on shelves? What are you experiences? Am i just using it wrong and its actually extremely useful and intuitive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

one thing that has been tilting me at the start of this term is that it wont let me reserve books. i try to put in the barcode + password and it never lets me and directs me to login to connect which i do, search for the book again and the loop continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Have you set up the library pin? You have to go into them I think. I went to the information desk and the lady asked me to pick a 4 digit pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

dublin daz wrote: »
    Have you set up the library pin? You have to go into them I think. I went to the information desk and the lady asked me to pick a 4 digit pin.

:o

it still says though alternatively you can use ucdconnect which brings me back around the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Em not too sure what that's about! But they updated the site recently, maybe the links are looping or pointing to the old pages?!

Maybe try the 'my library' tab in UCD Connect?

Sorry....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I tried to get to pubmed using it this evening.... It too way too long... Absolute pain in the backside!

(It was only after this that I found out that pub med only had the abstract of the paper I was looking for and I had to go elsewhere for it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I personally have found it to be the most abysmal system ive ever had the displeasure of going near but it should be something a lot of students would be using regularly i.e accessing journals. The only place i get articles is jstor but very often i find a lot of stuff missing that UCD Library might have access to elsewhere and due to their rubbish facilities i cant get at them.

Do you use the library search functions for anything other then finding books on shelves? What are you experiences? Am i just using it wrong and its actually extremely useful and intuitive?
    No. It's an absolute pile of cr@p. I use Web of Knowledge/Web of Science, or a references I found elsewhere (reading list, bibliographies etc), and then check if they have the e-journal version or the print version of the journal. I've used 'find it@ before to be told we didn't have the item, then when I went off looking myself it turned out we did. ARRRRRRRRRRGH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've found it to be a real pain recently. I usually use the library portal to get to Web of Science, but there, and only lately, I've noticed that clicking on "Findit@UCD" will usually tell you that the university has no access to that particular publication, but when you click on one of the different links, you get the paper no problem. I've also seen that more often than not, you need to click on a link twice. The first time you get 404'd, but the second time you get taken to the paper no problem :confused:

Advertisement