Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 6, Episode 11 - "The God Complex"

2»

Comments

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    No one's made anything of the fact that the last thing that remained of the hotel at the end, was the the 'do not disturb' sign from room no.11? I thought that was interesting.

I did too. I went back to see if the room with mini amy in it was the dnd one but it wasn't. After that i didnt know what to make of it !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    No one's made anything of the fact that the last thing that remained of the hotel at the end, was the the 'do not disturb' sign from room no.11? I thought that was interesting.

I thought the doctor put that there himself.

Also did Rory see an exit because the ship realised he was to awesome to manipulate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's more that the ship was worried that prolonged exposure to Rory Williams would completely unravel it's operation, as Rory Williams doesn't know the meaning of fear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

faith, not fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

faith, not fear
    That too. The only thing Rory Williams believes in is Rory Williams, and if the Minotaur had tried to hijack that faith, it's head would have exploded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The only thing the Doctor's afraid of: himself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By the by, just on the subject of what the Doctor saw in "his" room - and subsequently what his greatest fear is - I think a good hint about this can be found during Let's Kill Hitler, where the Doctor couldn't bare to look at a hologram of himself (or for that matter, Rosy, Martha or Donna). He settled on young Amy because she was someone he knew he hadn't ruined. You can also go back to Amy's Choice, where the dreamlord was simply the Doctor's conscience torturing our heroes.

So yeah, I think the Doctor saw himself, alone (dying possibly, given we heard the Cloister Bell) and without any companions, just as he always feared / suspected.

The Doctor just needs a hug I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

The real question is though. Is Moffat going to bring back the Valeyard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Wel the scriptwriters got a lot of milage out of the decision to not show what was in the doctor's room.

Personally, I dont think it significant - I dont think the scriptwriters know what was in there.

The coats, however. That theory is very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

I first assumed the two different coats was simply the Doctor alternating his attire, just as he did in his Tenth incarnation, but yeah maybe there's more to it, kind of random that he suddenly starts wearing it in the middle of the season as opposed to from the start.
    The "two doctors" theory is interesting but initially I was confused... at the end of the day the "+200 years" Doctor is still the same Doctor, just older. If his younger self shot his future self, he would still be destined to die, wouldn't he?

Unless that particular future self is just one option, like the way the older Amy seen in 6x10 isn't the Amy who "current Amy" will grow to be... The question is how does the Doctor create two time lines for himself? Amy was plucked out of one to create another by Rory (although her future self was already seen in the Silurian episode in season 5, so arguably she was already destined to have her "true" timeline). Perhaps by revisiting the "Two streams" facility The Doctor makes a "copy" of himself? Of course, there is the issue of The Doctor not being able to leave the Tardis and go into the actual facility but then again, "The Doctor lies". The "Two streams facility" may have been a "Chekov's Gun"...

So assuming the Doctor somehow manages to create a second timeline for himself, maybe he actually "needs" to kill one version of himself... which in turn helps throw the Silence off his case by letting them think they've killed him, or as Pixelburp suggests, making sure that he is no longer becomes "famous". The idea that one of the alternate Doctors must be erased from existence to prevent a paradox makes more sense when you consider that the companions were instructed to make sure his body was burned in 6x01.

I maintain that the idea of River/Melody killing him is a little too obvious, though perhaps he let the Silence, etc, "think" that River is in the Astronaut suit, so that 1.They think he is dead and 2.River might be let go live her life free of Silence influence now that her "mission" is completed, or possibly seeing the Doctor dead is the only way to rid of her conditioning that "she must kill The Doctor".

My head hurts! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's almost guaranteed that Checkov's gun is in play for this half of the season; and no doubt when it happens it'll have been obvious all along :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Possible plot hole but what didn't the "image" of an Angel not turn into an Angel?!?

Going by the last encounter, the video recording and then display on a CRT screen turning into one, why didn't the holographic once as well?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Possible plot hole but what didn't the "image" of an Angel not turn into an Angel?!?

Going by the last encounter, the video recording and then display on a CRT screen turning into one, why didn't the holographic once as well?!?

no it was the image of an angel as taken from who ever's head. the video recording and CRT were images of a real angel.

That's a very good point actually. Silly writers!

Thoughts on the idea that the Doctor saw himself:
    The hotel showed you something you were terrified of so you would reach down and find your faith so he could steal it. What does the Doctor believe in? According to himself it's himself and his own vanity. What does the Doctor fear? According to the fanbase it's a certain facet of himself. What does this mean? His biggest fear makes him doubt himself, shaking his faith in himself instead of making him embrace it. That's why he never started praising despite finding his room.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lads, I think we're all missing something.

What if Moffat was really being clever and the Doctor's biggest fear... was the threat of Amy and Rory dying?

Like, the whole hotel was really his room?

(I know other people were hypothisizing their graves were in his room, before someone says it :D)

Advertisement