Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom

Options
  • 16-09-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently moved from Pure Telecom & Vodafone to eircom for my calls and broadband. Had been paying roughly €100 for both per month (run a small business).
    The sales guy put me on a €55 euro package - having seen my most recent phone bill - and said that it would save me money every month. My first full monthly bill was €130 (I had a small bill for covering a few days the month previous)
    I called eircom to complain, and was told that all the reason I had such a large bill was because I made calls that were outside what was covered in the package - extra calls to mobiles, calls to the uk etc. My response was that the sales guy saw the kind of calls I made yet said he could save me money, obviously either lied or was mistaken, either way I've been mis-sold a service. They say i'd 7 days to recind the contract and that there's nothing I can do now and if I want to terminate the contract there is a penalty to pay.

Anyone got any advice on what I should do? Where do I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Switch to an SIP based service and get Internet only.

Lots of choice (Betamax, Blueface etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Probably no consolation to you OP but Eircom broke my heart when I switched over to them. I had been with them a few years ago but had changed and received solicitors letters over monies owed even though I had proof of payment. They had credited some elses account by mistake!!

Foolishly I gave them a second chance. I was mis-sold a service by them and point blank refused to accept the contract for a year and pulled out. I eventually got to speak to some sort of supervisor who apologised and said they would sent me a full and final bill which was then e200 over what I owed. I refused to pay this and eventually after 4/5 months I paid what I owed. I could not get over how incompetent the staff were.

I told them to take my name off thier contact lists and never to bother me again. Thank God they haven't.

IMO you should not pay like I did. Big companies like Eircom think they can bully the ordinary people into submission. Stand your ground OP and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Talk to eircom

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Firblog wrote: »
    Hi, recently moved from Pure Telecom & Vodafone to eircom for my calls and broadband. Had been paying roughly €100 for both per month (run a small business).
    The sales guy put me on a €55 euro package - having seen my most recent phone bill - and said that it would save me money every month. My first full monthly bill was €130 (I had a small bill for covering a few days the month previous)
    I called eircom to complain, and was told that all the reason I had such a large bill was because I made calls that were outside what was covered in the package - extra calls to mobiles, calls to the uk etc. My response was that the sales guy saw the kind of calls I made yet said he could save me money, obviously either lied or was mistaken, either way I've been mis-sold a service. They say i'd 7 days to recind the contract and that there's nothing I can do now and if I want to terminate the contract there is a penalty to pay.

Hi Firblog,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I will look into your query for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Firblog,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I will look into your query for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Firblog,

I got your details thanks, this may take a few days to investigate but I will be back to you later in the week.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Now my broadband is acting up badly, six years with Vodafone no issues, six weeks with eircom....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mobyfitz20

i been with eircom only 3 weeks and i'm fed up with them, for the first week everything was working fine, i was using a download speed of just over 7mb now it's just over 3mb. also my phone hasn't been working for the past 2 weeks. it keeps telling me NO LINE.. i contacted eircom over 2 weeks ago about this problem and no action has been taken. i am looking into cancelling my contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Now my broadband is acting up badly, six years with Vodafone no issues, six weeks with eircom....

Hi Firblog

Apologies for delay in resolving this for you. Mark is looking into this issue and will be back to you today.
    Tony

mobyfitz20 wrote: »
    i been with eircom only 3 weeks and i'm fed up with them, for the first week everything was working fine, i was using a download speed of just over 7mb now it's just over 3mb. also my phone hasn't been working for the past 2 weeks. it keeps telling me NO LINE.. i contacted eircom over 2 weeks ago about this problem and no action has been taken. i am looking into cancelling my contract.

Apologies for delay in resolving this issue for you. I can see this has been logged to technician and hope to be resolved soon. There were some delays in your area but your own fault has gone well over fix date. Am escalating this for you again.
    Tony

Hi Firblog,

Can you private message mw with a mobile contact number for you and the best time to give you a call.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi mobyfitz20
    tech working on this since just after 9 this morning, am hoping for feedback soon and that issue is finally resolved. I will be in contact a bit later today to update further.
    Tony

Hi mobyfitz20
    tech working on this since just after 9 this morning, am hoping for feedback soon and that issue is finally resolved. I will be in contact a bit later today to update further.
    Tony

the guy called me this morning but i was in college. my wife was at home so she was able to give him access. i told him beofre he does anything to call me and let me know if there would be a call out charge. the guy called me after he had fixed the problem and said it would cost me 100 euro. there was a problem with the cable so i could have just got a new cable for 2 euro and replaced it. i dont have 100 euro to throwing around. i am furious about this and unless this can be sorted out will look into cancelling my contract and also have my family change providers.

the guy called me this morning but i was in college. my wife was at home so she was able to give him access. i told him beofre he does anything to call me and let me know if there would be a call out charge. the guy called me after he had fixed the problem and said it would cost me 100 euro. there was a problem with the cable so i could have just got a new cable for 2 euro and replaced it. i dont have 100 euro to throwing around. i am furious about this and unless this can be sorted out will look into cancelling my contract and also have my family change providers.

Hi mobyfitz20
    I have checked the tech notes and found that the fault was due to an internal wiring issue, as you say 'a problem with the cable'.. This could not be confirmed remotely and therefore could not be advised of issue without a tech site visit. (This is also the reason we ask customers to go through the troubleshooting procedure, to avoid unnecessary tech call out charges)
    The charge is applied if customer has been advised fault is not with our net work and customer asked that a tech be sent to site regardless.
    I will look into this issue as I can see that original fault notes state other issues were identified.
    I will be in contact as soon as I can.
    Tony

phone still saying NO LINE.

Would you mind starting your own thread somewhere moby? I started this one to get a resolution to my issue, you should do the same, keeps us from getting all mixed up with each other... cheers.

sorry thought i just replied to the eircom guys comment.

phone still saying NO LINE.

Hi Mobyfitz20
    have just spoken with person at your house and she advised me that this is now working correctly. It appears that it was connection from phone, now making and receiving calls. Will be in contact later re charges.
    Tony

Nearly 3 Weeks now and no further along... have given you my mobile number, how come no calls?
    Have now received my second bill from Eircom, and comes in at €100... this is even following my moving my mobile to same company as partner to get free mobile calls there, and cutting down on UK calls..

Getting p*ssed off now

Hi Firblog,

I sent you a PM a moment ago.

Thanks, Mark

Marks Response in PM

"......I explained that you feel it was obvious that you made substabtial calls outside the package. However the order form that was signed and left behind clearly stated the calls included in the package and every on the form was provided.

What a waste of time communicating with you here; you've just told me everything that I heard when I rang eircom nearly a month ago.

I'd be grateful now if you'll not waste anymore of my time and just tell me to whom I can lodge a complaint about the lies told to me by your rep.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Marks Response in PM

"......I explained that you feel it was obvious that you made substabtial calls outside the package. However the order form that was signed and left behind clearly stated the calls included in the package and every on the form was provided.

What a waste of time communicating with you here; you've just told me everything that I heard when I rang eircom nearly a month ago.

I'd be grateful now if you'll not waste anymore of my time and just tell me to whom I can lodge a complaint about the lies told to me by your rep.

Cheers

Hi Firblog,

I apologise that you did not the response or resolution that you were hoping for. I have PM the nuber to log an offical complaint if you wish.

Thanks, Mark

Perhaps you should put up a sticky saying that if you believe the rep lied to you when selling you an Eircom package then don't waste your time posting here... (or phoning eircom)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rugbydude

Hi,

Just a quick query? Vodafone called to me to try and sell me their broadband package and I told them our line was not broadband enabled. He told me all others on my road were including my neighbours who are 50m away and suggested that Eircom split the lines to give them broadband.
    Could this be correct? And if so what are the legalities of being charged the same line rental where the line passing our front doors offer different services to each house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

rugbydude wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick query? Vodafone called to me to try and sell me their broadband package and I told them our line was not broadband enabled. He told me all others on my road were including my neighbours who are 50m away and suggested that Eircom split the lines to give them broadband.
    Could this be correct? And if so what are the legalities of being charged the same line rental where the line passing our front doors offer different services to each house?

Hi rugbydude,

Thank you for your post and aplogies for the delay.

There is no guarantee that Adsl fixed line broadband can be supplied, until each individual phone line is tested by a qualified engineer. Even if the phoneline is in a fully compliant Adsl area or if the local exchange has been upgraded to Next Generation Broadband *NGB. An engineer will still have to test the line fully, before Adsl can be enabled. Usually this is done by eircom engineers.

If you PM your phone number and home address, I can recheck if broadband is available in your area. Again, your phone line will need to be fully tested by an engineer.

All terms and conditions regarding broadband availability are stipulated on the eircom portal website www.eircom.net - T & C's

Let me know if I can help you further with this query.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rugbydude

Hi Ant,

The line has been tested and the question I posed was not to do with this...
    The question is; Can a line be split to give one customer broadband at the expense of another?
    The second question is; is line charge the same for someone with broadband to that of someone without?

Just to give a little update to my situation, I contacted comreg about the issue and was told that i'll have to suck it up; that there's nothing they can do as I signed to contract.
    So here's what I'm doing, I've a small business with a fairly good throughput of customers, in my business it would not be uncommon for people to ask me my opinion on the different telecoms providers; I now take great pleasure in telling them of my experience of eircom and the lies their rep told me. I actually persuaded another small business who were about to sign up to eircom from doing it when I was onsite with them yesterday :D Talk about job satisfaction; both myself and my partner will be doing this to the best of our ability at EVERY opportunity..

Mark/Ant there is an adage that a happy customer will tell 5/6 people and that an unhappy one will tell 15/16, i'd revise that estimate up... 15/1600 sounds more like it...

Advertisement