Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So..anyone else tried that new Granny's restaurant near cinema?

• 16-09-2011 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Can't remember the full name of the place. Granny's Dinners or something like that I think?

Anyway, I was excited by the thought of a new restaurant in Ennis, and particularly one with Granny in the name because I associate that with good quality wholesome food.

So, we found ourselves at a loose end in Ennis last weekend and decided to check out the place. Sadly, it turns out the owners Granny likes greasy deep fried breaded everything (even where it doesn't say deep fried or breaded on the menu). I ordered stuffed pork, my better half ordered fish - both were breaded and dripping oil to the point where we felt a bit nauseous. The very pleasant waitress asked if I would like potato or chips, I asked for mash. The mash was lovely, but accompanied by salad instead of veg (would usually get mash with veg I think or am I just weird here?). Other half asked for a coke with his meal, it was brought over to him in a plastic bottle and placed beside a glass with no ice in it. The bottle obviously wasn't catering stock and was emblazoned €1 but we were charged €1.90 because of her opening the cap. Now we don't mind paying 1.90 for a coke when it's poured into a glass with ice in it, but it just looked really unprofessional having this plastic bottle plonked down on the table with no ice or anything in the glass. My dessert was supposedly cheese cake but it was a bizarre cakey cheese cake, kindof like traditional sponge with cheese mixed through, than what we would normally call cheese cake.

The place looks lovely, it would be great value if you got proper food for the price they are charging, and the waitress was very nice, but it honestly feels a bit like eating in a foreign friends house than an Irish restaurant. While the waitress was nice, I doubt if she worked in other restaurants before and made quite a few rookie mistakes. Don't know if it's foreigners owning/running the restaurant but it certainly doesn't live up to Irish Granny standard in my book! Whole experience was kindof like eating in a disappointing restaurant abroad. Can't see them lasting too long unless they get some more experienced staff and radically overhaul the menu and cooking style.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You should Yelp that.

www.yelp.ie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CptSternn wrote: »
    You should Yelp that.

www.yelp.ie

Or even just pass that info on to the shop management so they can do something about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm with Insect Overlord on this one, it is not clear if the OP raised any of her concerns with the management or staff or if they have been given an opportunity to resolve the issue. If I was the owner, I'd like people to give me their feedback be it good or bad, it is all valuable. It is difficult for someone to know there is an issue if they don't receive constructive complaints/feedback.

Many businesses have teething problems in the beginning, so hopefully, they will sort things out. I wish them well, it is not an easy time to be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

We were going for dinner and like that, the name intrigued me. I'm vegie and there was nothing on the menu so we skipped it. Happy now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

most uninspiring menu I've seen. things you could easily make at home/buy from a supermarket, for a fraction of the cost. Defeats the whole point of going out really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Perhaps you should give the restaurant what you thought of your meal. If they dont know what is wrong then they can not remedy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Why should anyone point out the obvious? If you open a restaurnt, you should have a clue about how it should operate. A crappy menu with crappy service shouldn't be something your customers have to point out for you to fix. Who opens a business without having a basic concept of what needs to happen when?

NYT did a good piece on their blog a while back on this. If someone is going to help them out, they should point them in the direction of this link here...

http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/one-hundred-things-restaurant-staffers-should-never-do-part-one/

Advertisement