Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jayhawks -Button Factory/March 2012

Options
  • 16-09-2011 2:46am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Jayhawks ,The Button Factory, Tue 13 Mar 2012

The Jayhawks were definitely swimming against the tide when they emerged from a crowded Minneapolis music scene halfway through the 1980s - a memorable decade that saw the likes of the Replacements, Soul Asylum, Husker Du and Prince put Minnesota on the musical map in a big way. Forging a rootsy sound that wasn't quite rock or country - "Hank Williams on speed" somebody once memorably called it - The Jayhawks quickly turned into one of the most important bands of the post-punk era. Over the course of two decades, several albums, countless memorable live shows and enough personal drama to fill a couple of Behind the Music episodes, this beloved band soared to heights few ever achieve while wining the hearts and minds of numerous critics, fans and peers in the process. Named after "The Hawks" - as in "Levon and the Hawks," the name of Dylan's backing band in the 60s before they became known as "The Band" - The Jayhawks and their fellow travellers even helped make the world safe again for artists who weren't afraid to fuse traditional rock, country and folk influences into something that was both timeless and modern, just like the best American bands always have.

Anyone who appreciates Alt. Country should get along and see these guys, they're a great band !! They last played here in '97 so I'm delighted they're headin' back again!

Tickets are 22 euro and are on sale now.

http://http://www.tickets.ie/events.aspx/search?s=the%20jayhawks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Got my tickets y/day. V happy with the price too. Steve Earle & Gillian Welch on the way too in Nov - class!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Deadly - should be good. Nice to see 'em over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

I'm heading
    Richmond Fontaine as support
    Good bill

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Tree Scape wrote: »
    I'm heading
    Richmond Fontaine as support
    Good bill

RF duo, not the full band. Will still be great though

RF duo, not the full band. Will still be great though
    Any idea of stage times?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Was a good gig even though they looked really tired and Gary's playing was awful! Glad to see the place full for a Tuesday night. Highlights for me:Two Hearts, Tampa to Tulsa and Waiting for the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Really enjoyed it. First visit to Button Factory and even though its not an ideal venue and hard to see if you are not tallest , I thought the sound was really good.

Not a big fan of the Jayhawks and only know the Hollywood Town Hall album , so was surprised at the quality of the other songs and will be checking out the other albums now.

Bumped into author John Connolly at the bar and had a nice chat with him, which was a bonus.
    Gridlock wrote: »
    Was a good gig even though they looked really tired and Gary's playing was awful! Glad to see the place full for a Tuesday night. Highlights for me:Two Hearts, Tampa to Tulsa and Waiting for the Sun.

I though they were great, though mark Olsen was going to be sooo grumpy when he came on first, kept saying "come on, lets keep it going" and didn't look too impressed to be there, but they rocked and really got into it...Harmonies were great, piano playing was beautiful, great sound, great venue, great, great, great
    And loved RF - or Willie and Dan, eventough Gary completely forgot the name of their band
    Felice Bros tonight!

Advertisement