Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam forum moderation

Options
  • 16-09-2011 7:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

For a number of reasons I feel the current team are unfit for their roles and should be removed. I'm wondering is their any way of having this done? either though a petition or otherwise? if the opinion is widely held?.

I believe that moderators should be impartial and neutral,whereas the mods here,especially Irish Convert adopts a very partisan approach. Allowing those whose opinions he agrees with a free reign and banning anyone he disagrees with. This partisan approach has involved sanctioning wife beating and homophobia.

I want to know if he and the team in general can be removed?. Is there a procedure?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There is already a Feedback thread about the Islam forum here.

The Admins/Cmods/mods are taking on board the feedback and working with the mods of the forum to see what we can do.

You can see there is already a thread in the Islam forum requesting information about what people want from the forum.

And no, there is no procedure to remove a moderation team at the whim of a few users. Except in extreme circumstances, we do not just wade in and de-mod people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks Tom,hasn't that thread now been locked? so where can I give my feedback ?.

How I feel is fairly clear,as already stated,the Islam forum is like a fascist dictatorship. No debate is permitted and the moderators are like referees who are members of one of the teams. There is many schools of thought within Islam,the world of interpretations,yet any opinion but those of the moderators are censored there. It leads to an infraction or ban,just like in a dictatorship,debate is not allowed.

In addition members are allowed to post sanctioning wife beating and homophobia,these go unchecked. Yet any response,however polite leads to an infraction or ban.

I firmly believe that the role of a moderator is to be a referee,neutral,who resolves disputes, and who uses appropriate language,someone who members can trust.

The current team appear to have neither the desire nor sufficent communication skills to fulfill this role and I think they should be replaced as they are unfit for their job.

I'll take a copy of this and post it if there is somewhere else open for discussion on the Islam forum.

Freiheit wrote: »
    I'll take a copy of this and post it if there is somewhere else open for discussion on the Islam forum.

As I said in the thread in the Feedback forum, we have taken on board feedback on the Islam forum and are actively working behind the scenes with the moderators and cmods.

So, all I can say right now is have patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks,I'd really like to give my opinions on the Islam forum sticky but I can't because I was banned from the forum by Irish Convert . I'm not the only one with this dilemna. This was for merely expressing (justifiably) my lack of faith in his ability to act fairly and protect my right for freedom of expression.

As I can't post there and indeed and only view the forum when not logged in I'll give my opinions here if that's ok?. I'm not a Muslim but have a strong interest in the faith. My cousin is indeed married to a Muslim. I simply want a discussion forum where people can express their opinions,in a respectful manner without fear of censor. I want a moderator who will safeguard my right to freedom of expression and indeed that of those whose opinions differ to mine.

As it's a public forum I don't believe it should be merely a meeting place for Muslims,such would be more suited to a private forum or chatroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Or atleast rename the forum to the 'Sharia Law' forum so is not to mislead people from actually wanting to dicuss Islam openingly

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Or atleast rename the forum to the 'Sharia Law' forum so is not to mislead people from actually wanting to dicuss Islam openingly

And that will be the last post from you in this forum for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Just noticing this thread now.

Freiheit, based on your history and your comment to me in Private Messages, it is quite clear you do not like Islam (from what I gather your lifestyle choices). That is fine, but the forum is probably not for you.

You were already on thin ground in the forum from previous history.

That said, the person you were responding to I had warned them to reword what they were saying because I knew you would most likely take the response as an attack against you rather then a point they were going to get across.

If I recommend anything from the ban you got.
    1. Don't take responses personally.
    2. Your lifestyle is incompatible with Islam, and no amount of discussion is going to change their or your opinion. So the forum isn't really for you.

This is not a rehash of old news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement