Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning puppies

• 16-09-2011 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey all,

Friend has litter of puppies that are 3.5 weeks old so probably need to start feeding them something. Any suggestions would be be great.
    Mother is fussy eater and wont eat nuts. She has tried a lot of different types but she will just pick. So she doesn't know what to give the puppies

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

boo! wrote: »
    Hey all,

Friend has litter of puppies that are 3.5 weeks old so probably need to start feeding them something. Any suggestions would be be great.
    Mother is fussy eater and wont eat nuts. She has tried a lot of different types but she will just pick. So she doesn't know what to give the puppies

Thanks

i had pups a few months back and i weaned them with steeped nuts and the big sausage type dog food from aldi with warm really watered down milk mashed up with a spud masher until it looked like porridge and my pups loved it and your freind should try the mother with some chicken thighs these can be got very cheaply from tesco and boil them for the dog or try some chicken soup over the nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

They need a really good quality food, as does the mother dog. Try them on burns mini bites, soak them well for the pups. Even soak them for the mother as dry food smells better and more appealing once it has been soaked in hot water. Just let it cool before you feed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

smokin ace wrote: »
    i had pups a few months back and i weaned them with steeped nuts and the big sausage type dog food from aldi with warm really watered down milk mashed up with a spud masher until it looked like porridge and my pups loved it and your freind should try the mother with some chicken thighs these can be got very cheaply from tesco and boil them for the dog or try some chicken soup over the nuts

Don't give your puppies milk... dogs are lactose intolerant... also don't feed them that crap in a tube from Aldi either. A good quality puppy nuts (pick one that suits your budget) soaked in water and mashed a little bit is all they need with water at this stage. 3.5 weeks is even a bit young, I weaned my little ones at 5 weeks.

The mother also needs to be on a high energy food at the moment because she's feeding... it's like a breast feeding human. It helps to produce the milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

smokin ace wrote: »
    would not feed this to any dogs esp to little pups. that sausage type food is nothing but rubbish. it prob smells good to them as why they love it, also cows milk is also a big no no for dogs. also please DO NOT give your dog any type of cooked bones.
    a good quality puppy food that is esp for weaning pups is the best. my groomer told me that the one her clients are raving about is royal canin mousse and royal canin started mother and babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As said above a good quality puppy food (the Royal Canin mousse goes down great with the young pups) if dry add a little warm water, not milk or stock.

The mother should be on good food too, many breeders feed a good puppy food as its higher energy food, and easy on the tummy. (you can soften nuts for the bitch too if thats the way she likes them).

As a rule its 4.5 - 5 weeks to start weaning, small amount twice daily to start (first week), up it to 3 times, then 4(by about 6.5 weeks). Then you increase the amount of food until they stop feeding from mum(start this around 7 weeks), not fully weaned until 8 weeks.

Just keep an eye to make sure they are all getting their share, if one is lagging behind feed them separately for a few days to build them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 boo!

Hi all.

Thanks for the replys. She has just phoned me to say that Leader are giving her free puppy food. What's that stuff like? She was listening to a sales rep so naturally he said theirs is brilliant:D
    Think she has tried the mother on anything that she can but little Mammy is not the best eater which isn't great as she is feeding them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If the mother is a fussy eater there is no harm in adding something to the nuts to get some extra nutrition into her.
    I add fish, tinned sardines, mackerel or tuna (always in oil, never brine) once a week, I also add left over veggies from dinner occasionally (no gravy or salt).
    If you add a little warm water to the nuts to soften them a bit, then mix in whatever you're adding (leftovers, wet food, etc) that should get her interest.

I have little info on Leader, not the greatest food but an ok budget one I think, I was given a free bag but it went to the nearest shelter as when I tried a little in with my dogs normal food, it caused serious farts and bad runs in my boy, but he seems to be sensitive to some foods.

Advertisement