Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two half working laptops to make one working laptop

Options
  • 16-09-2011 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hi laptop folks!

I've an Acer 5610 and a Packard Bell Easynote TJ64.

The Acer boots and works, apart from the screen not working, but I hook it to an external. It was WinXP at purchase, but for some reason that just stopped booting (gets to splash screen then just...stops), but Linux Mint boots and works perfectly.

The PB just recently stopped booting at all, when I power up the light comes on on the front of the laptop, the fan starts going but nothing else happens, but the screen does work I'm 100% sure of that. I had it with some repair people, and they said the Motherboard is the problem. It was Windows 7 on this one.

Is there any way to butcher both machines to combine them to make one working machine? I don't mind which OS I end up with, as I'd plan to use this hybrid machine to try out a few different Linux distros, just because I want to. I'd ideally like to keep Win7, if at all possible though. It's not a dealbreaker and I'd be happy with any other Linux OS, or a few of them.

I'd look at this as a kind of project for myself, so I don't mind how long it would take etc etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Thread moved:)

Thanks, and sorry about the work for you, I didn't have a look around the Tech section before posting.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As for the Acer. Have you tried reinstalling XP, or any Windows OS for that matter?

I had a weird problem with a netbook, where it would boot into Ubuntu fine, and work endlessly in that OS without issue, but booting into Windows would always crash it, no matter how many times I reinstalled it. It turned out that my RAM was a bit funky, so i replaced that and BAM it was fixed. I never understood how Ubuntu was booting and running fine, but Windows was not, but there you go.

As for replacing screens. I'd doubt it, but you'll only find out when you find out the exact specs of both machines, and even check the connections between both screens and the motherboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The PB screen definitely won't fit the Acer, it's a bigger screen.

My idea is to move the MB from the Acer, into the PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Unless they have the same MB inside them, you'll have issues getting one into the other (dimensions, mounting holes, etc). Typically, the only things you *may* find swappable are the RAM (if about the same vintage) and hard drives, maybe DVD drive.

Lot's of things to try:
    • Try various combinations of RAM (one stick, switch sticks, etc).
    • Reinstall XP on the Acer.
    • Dismantle the laptops, re-seat connections, clean fans and heat sinks, re-seat and reapply heat transfer grease to processor.
    • Try without HD and/or DVD not connected, boot with Linux boot disk or boot USB.
    • Try with other devices (mouse/wifi card/modems) removed; faulty one could cause issues, and may be unnecessary for your requirements.
    • Test hard drive in desktop PC, make sure it's working, no errors.
    • Try fixing the faulty monitor, could be bad connection, reseat it; if you can see desktop in very bright like, could only need a CCFL or two, easy to repair.
    • When you have the laptops apart, make note of numbers on boards, and search eBay/google for them - you might find replacements (if you think are faulty) for cheap.
    • Search web for known issues with your laptops, maybe easy fixes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Can't be done unfortunately. A laptop motherboard will only fit the case it was designed for. The location of the ribbon cable slots would be in a different place, as would the mounts, etc.

You're better off trying to trying to fix each individual laptop.

On the Acer, boot it up with linux while hooked up to the external monitor, then open Google or something bright. Switch back to the laptop screen and look closely. If you can see anything, it's the inverter that's gone. Replacing this is cheap and easy, then it would be a simple case of fixing your boot issue.
    If it's not the inverter, it's possible the ribbon cable has come loose. You could try re-seating it. This has worked on a few of my customers laptops before.

As for the PB, I'm not so sure it's the mobo. If it was there is little chance of a fan spinning as the fans are connected to the mobo. Do you know if they tested the RAM and anything else?

Advertisement