Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the best windscreen wash on the market

• 16-09-2011 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello,

As we are coming into the winter,
    1) what's the best windscreen wash for dirt,grim and bugs?
    2) what ratio do you dilute it to?

Appreciate all feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dunno about winter, but I use holts one shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Sonax Clear View is probably the best. You might get it in a motor factors. They have summer, winter and various other versions. But even the standard one is very good all year round.

http://www.sonax.com/Car-Care/Products/Interior-and-Glass/Windscreen-Washer-System

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

probably important to use winter version from now on so that it wont freeze and destroy washer bottle pump etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

water and vinegar, better than any wash. 50.50 mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

TomMc wrote: »
    Sonax Clear View is probably the best. You might get it in a motor factors. They have summer, winter and various other versions. But even the standard one is very good all year round.

http://www.sonax.com/Car-Care/Products/Interior-and-Glass/Windscreen-Washer-System

Agree on this.

Another one which I thought was good is einszett.
    http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx?pid=165713&pk=A2C6B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

headmaster wrote: »
    water and vinegar, better than any wash. 50.50 mix.
    Wont the smell of that fill the car the first time you spray it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

O.A.P wrote: »
    Wont the smell of that fill the car the first time you spray it?

And would it not leave a smear on clear days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

HOLTS%20SCREEN%20WASH.ashx

4euro for 5 litres in woodies or atalanic homecare. nice 25/75 mix. great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Believe it or not, an old British army driver told me urine is an excellent, natural, and free additive.
    (I'm not taking the Piss)
    He’s said it was part of their driver training, and compulsory on desert exercises.
    Waste not, want not I suppose.
    Not a full bottle, just a normal piss apparently.
    The diluted uric acid breaks down and prevents the grease / oily build up you can get on the windscreen.
    I've yet to try it, perhaps next time no one is about !

^^ Update, my mate tried this last week and now he swears by it. ^^
    I lived in a shared house at the moment, so its going to be a bit harder for me to try it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Isn't the car stinking of piss everytime you wash the windows a bit of a downside ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

VW screenwash concentrate costs about €6 and makes up 25 litres. It's diluted 1:100 so I stick 50 ml concentrate in a 5 litre container, then top it up with water and I have 5 litres of top quality screenwash for about €1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Urine is likely to damage paintwork, also if you have a sunroof you're likely to get piss on your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Urine is likely to damage paintwork, also if you have a sunroof you're likely to get piss on your head.

So when you call someone from the car and tell them it's pissing down you'll have to explain whether you mean that it's raining cats and dogs or you're washing the windscreen!

Isn't the car stinking of piss everytime you wash the windows a bit of a downside ?
    colm_mcm wrote: »

I asked the former soldier the similar questions, and he laughed and said it's diluted piss, not 100% piss.

He said everyone is a skeptic until they try it, including everyone in his training platoon 30 years ago, including him.
    This guy seen a lot of service, he's not a bullsh1tter.
    It was a battlefield living/training type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hiace. wrote: »
    I asked the former soldier the similar questions, and he laughed and said it's diluted piss, not 100% piss.

He said everyone is a skeptic until they try it, including everyone in his training platoon 30 years ago, including him.
    This guy seen a lot of service, he's not a bullsh1tter.
    It was a battlefield living/training type thing.

yes..but what soldier gives a fúck about paintwork on their APC? I imagine they're more worried about it's bullet deflecting ability :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Vinegar is cheap and good. Has a smell though although it's only noticeable when you spray it, it doesn't linger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Don't flush your toilet for a few days and then tell me there is no foul odour! It's diluted as well. Screenwash is so cheap, why would you use anything else. A scarcity of water in the desert maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭brian2me

Hiace. wrote: »
    Believe it or not, an old British army driver told me urine is an excellent, natural, and free additive.
    (I'm not taking the Piss)
    He’s said it was part of their driver training, and compulsory on desert exercises.
    Waste not, want not I suppose.
    Not a full bottle, just a normal piss apparently.
    The diluted uric acid breaks down and prevents the grease / oily build up you can get on the windscreen.
    I've yet to try it, perhaps next time no one is about !

Next you'll tell me that a good Guinness ****e is great for waxing the car.lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    yes..but what soldier gives a fúck about paintwork on their APC? I imagine they're more worried about it's bullet deflecting ability :)

Its diluted, unlike fido pissing on the side of your car.

Advertisement