Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal is Free, again!

Options
  • 16-09-2011 11:11am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This deserves a thread of it's own:
    http://www.learnwithportals.com/

If you don't already have this game... welcome to the games forum, I see you're new here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Pah! That's great news!

Except, now I've got two giftable copies of Portal which are worthless...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you havent already played this...SHAME!! :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well it's only free until the 30th so those giftable copies aren't worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

In that case, if anyone's reading this thread and it's October, then p.m. me for some free Portal goodness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I've been trying to register an account with Steam to download this but I cant get past the f*ckin captcha!!! :mad: Incredibly headwrecking stuff!

Also my excuse for not having it before is that I just didnt have the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Testament1 wrote: »
    I've been trying to register an account with Steam to download this but I cant get past the f*ckin captcha!!! :mad: Incredibly headwrecking stuff!

I've been having the same problem.

Also my excuse for not having it before is that I just didnt have the time!

It's only about 3-4 hours long! :eek:

5uspect wrote: »
    It's only about 3-4 hours long! :eek:

I didnt have time for games full stop due to projects etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Nice one. I got this on xbox a while back, but my xbox died about half way through.

Nope, still not buying it. :p

• Advertisement

Nope, still not buying it. :p

I'll get me coat so!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Then redeem the free copy now and play it later. If you redeem it now you have it free forever.

ríomhaire wrote: »
    Then redeem the free copy now and play it later. If you redeem it now you have it free forever.

Like I said above I was trying to register an account but couldnt get that bastardin captcha right no matter what I did so I gave up.

Might chance it again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Like I said above I was trying to register an account but couldnt get that bastardin captcha right no matter what I did so I gave up.

Might chance it again tomorrow.
    Try using a different browser like Chrome or Opera. I know Firefox and IE were a bit temperamental with me logging into Steam but no problem via Chrome or Opera for some reason. Resolved itself after i had logged in though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Cheers for the link, I heard about this yesterday couldnt find it though! now I'll finally play portal haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hadn't played this before, cool game, way to short.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ScumLord wrote: »
    way to short.

Portal is one of the very few games that is perfect in terms of length and pacing. There's no ****ing around - each puzzle takes fresh advantage of the concept without needless repetition.

Too short? Only in gaming culture where unfortunately 'filler' has become perceived as value for money. Portal is just right, especially at the accessible cost of absolutely nothing. Not every game needs to be twenty hours long.

Not to mention all the challenge maps, mods and modding tools available for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Guarantee Won't Work On My Pc And I'm A Scrooge Type Guy And Refuse Top Buy It :pac: How Big Is The Game (In GB)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

It's a little over 5 gigs.

• Advertisement

Why Do You Use a Capital Letter For The Start Of Every Word?

System requirements are here:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/400/

It's about 7GB if you've no other Source games installed, TF2, which is also free is 9GB but they share a lot of core files. You also need to install Steam to run the game which will take up a few more MB.

Why Do You Use a Capital Letter For The Start Of Every Word?

System requirements are here:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/400/

It's about 7GB if you've no other Source games installed, TF2, which is also free is 9GB but they share a lot of core files. You also need to install Steam to run the game which will take up a few more MB.

Installed TF2 a good while ago 11gigs!!!!!!!! And Didn't Even Feckin Work Graphics Were Messed Up.
    Don't Question the Capitalization :P

Installed TF2 a good while ago 11gigs!!!!!!!! And Didn't Even Feckin Work Graphics Were Messed Up.

Portal runs on the same version of the Source engine so if TF2 didn't work neither will Portal. What are your system specs.
    Don't Question the Capitalization :P
    Stop it, it's annoying and nearly as bad as txtspk.

Portal runs on the same version of the Source engine so if TF2 didn't work neither will Portal. What are your system specs.

Stop it, it's annoying and nearly as bad as txtspk.

Its probab;t a bad graphics card

What card is it? I've run the original source engine (HL2) on a very old GeForce MX420 and Portal and TF2 on an old 6600GT. Source is pretty scalable unless you're running some Intel integrated graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Not really. That would have been true on release but TF2 has become pretty badly optimised and runs a lot worse than Portal and EP2.

Portal runs on the same version of the Source engine so if TF2 didn't work neither will Portal. .

Portal Works :-) Might Try TF2 Again Sometime

Advertisement