Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting decent broadband on working holiday visa

Options
  • 16-09-2011 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

So I've been here a few months now and I have grown pretty fed up of my Mobile Broadband service. In short, its rubbish. I can't watch youtube, can't stream the soccer, can't skype etc.

My problem is that because I am on a WHV I can't say with a whole lot of certainty where I'll be in 6, 12 or 24 months, this seriously limits the services available to me as most of them require long contracts.

One of my problems is that at some stage within the next 5-6 months I will almost certainly he heading off somewhere for 3 months regional work, so I don't want to be tied to a broadband bill if I'm not using it in that time.

I would like to know what (if any) options are available to me, or do I just persevere with crap mobile broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm not a techie but can't you use some phones as a modem? Is it the same thing or it likely to be a bit better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Essien wrote: »
    So I've been here a few months now and I have grown pretty fed up of my Mobile Broadband service. In short, its rubbish. I can't watch youtube, can't stream the soccer, can't skype etc.

My problem is that because I am on a WHV I can't say with a whole lot of certainty where I'll be in 6, 12 or 24 months, this seriously limits the services available to me as most of them require long contracts.

One of my problems is that at some stage within the next 5-6 months I will almost certainly he heading off somewhere for 3 months regional work, so I don't want to be tied to a broadband bill if I'm not using it in that time.

I would like to know what (if any) options are available to me, or do I just persevere with crap mobile broadband?

TELSTRA ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PRETTY DECENT FOR INTERNET , NOT UP ON PACKAGES OR DEALS THO

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I have 20mb broadband with unlimited downloads on TPG which is pretty good, they have a deal if you sign up to the landline you get unlimited downloads. We just signed up to this even though we don't have a landline and it works out about $60 per month, $100 or so connection fee and you can sign up to a 6month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I have 20mb broadband with unlimited downloads on TPG which is pretty good, they have a deal if you sign up to the landline you get unlimited downloads. We just signed up to this even though we don't have a landline and it works out about $60 per month, $100 or so connection fee and you can sign up to a 6month contract.

I was looking at getting this Sonic, are the speeds decent/reliable with them? They seem so much cheaper than others, was wondering if there's a catch! Telstra charge $88 p/m for similar speed and capped at 200GB. They also want to charge $299 for first time connection, presumably TPG will be same on that anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Broadband in Oz is about 3-4 years behind ireland and about 6-7 years behind singapore/europe in terms of speed, price and contract terms.

It is even more frustrating when you live regionally like me and advertised 8Mbit connection is actually 1 or less most of the time. You need to look hard for a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

sonic.trip wrote: »

Sonic was looking at TPG last night for borther n law n they say they have only 1mb up n download that seems really slow cause i'm with optus n get 20 mb download n can get 100 for extra $20 paying $79 at moment . Downloading 700mb movies n less than 10 mins.

Mobile bb is only ever really for email n some light web never really for youtube n skype.

Had optus mobile bb n it was ok but still not good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I went with Virgin - bought the modem for $99 and then signed up to one of the 30 day contracts - you just need to give 30 days notice at any stage to cancel it - no penalties - $39 per month for 10GB

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/byo/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I went with Virgin - bought the modem for $99 and then signed up to one of the 30 day contracts - you just need to give 30 days notice at any stage to cancel it - no penalties - $39 per month for 10GB

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/byo/

Is that internet for your phone or laptop?

Is that internet for your phone or laptop?

laptop. but cause it's wireless you can connect your phone to it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

laptop. but cause it's wireless you can connect your phone to it too :)

Sounds good. Did you have any hassle with the phone/internet providers seeing as you are on a WHV?

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Did you have any hassle with the phone/internet providers seeing as you are on a WHV?

i signed up with virgin mobile in telechoice on elizabeth street. the place across from the food galeria. think they may have lied a little putting it through though lol

Advertisement