Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you quit a Back to education course

Options
  • 16-09-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just curious as to what happens if you leave a course that you are receiving btea for? Would you have to repay the €500 book allowance and reapply for your original payment (benefit or allowance)? I'm just after starting a course and I'm a bit worried that it may not be for me. I'm thinking I might bail on it now as I haven't received any btea payment yet as they are still waiting on a proof of registration letter from me.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 snowy25

Hi

I was in the same situation as you last year.I applied for the back to education allowance and started a course.

However I did not like the course so I went into my local SW and explained to them I would not be doing the course and they were fine with it.They just transferred me over to jobseekers allowance.

I did it before I received the btea and the 500 so better do it early next week before your application is processed.

Hope that helps!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

That's great, thanks for the reply Snowy. I was hoping I'd be able to duck out of the course without any drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

I am in exactly the same situation as you have been approved for BTEA but really dont like the course at all just not for me... How did you get on did they just transfer you back to Jobseekers without any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

I am in exactly the same situation as you have been approved for BTEA but really dont like the course at all just not for me... How did you get on did they just transfer you back to Jobseekers without any hassle?

Yeah, I went down to the social welfare office this morning and there was no problem with it, they just switched me back to jobseekers. I hadn't received any back to education payment yet so it was straightforward enough.

What reasons did you give them for leaving? just that it wasnt for you? I am worried that they would cut me off if I drop out without a valid reason other than I just dont really like the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

What reasons did you give them for leaving? just that it wasnt for you? I am worried that they would cut me off if I drop out without a valid reason other than I just dont really like the course.

I just told them it wasn't for me and they switched my payment back straight away. I was like yourself to be honest, sh*tting it before I went down to the office thinking they are going to be hard on me, but they were very decent about it. I think if you do it quickly before they pay you any btea it'll be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 THISISROBERTO

I am in the same situation. I am thinking of not continuing in a plc course that is unsuitable for me. does anyone know whether we can reapply for btea next year?

Joannaman just wondering did they say to you if you would be able to apply for BTEA next year after dropping out this year? I have recieved 1 payment so far but havent got the 500 euro as of yet. I really dont like the course I am on and I probably will drop out next week Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 THISISROBERTO

hi yes, i went up to the social welfare office and the guy on the desk said i could quit and still do btea next year. the 500 euro would have to be paid back if i had received it but otherwise fine.

Advertisement