Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tornado in Clogherhead!!

Options
  • 16-09-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Just experienced a tornado come right through my back garden!! Not a nice experience!! Ran upstairs to see it move out over the sea at clogherhead it seemed to stay over water for about 2-3 mins and then disappear! Really cool looking at it suck the water up because you could really see the funnel!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Any pictures? Sounds amazing. Forgive ignorance but where is Clogherhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Any pictures? Sounds amazing. Forgive ignorance but where is Clogherhead?

Its in louth, just past drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

CONGRATS :).... Not camera near i guess no? ...

Looks confirmed from radar . Classic "tail " , "bow " :) Right over Clogherhead just as it passed onto water!
    174646.png

174647.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Wow!

Any damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

no pics ? camera would be the first thing youd go for when seeing something like that !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

I just know your going to upload an amazing video tonight... am right aren't i??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We want pictures! Thanks very much for the report OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Good looking out, any damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ventillenpimp

Really sorry no pics! Only had my iphone and by that stage it was out over the water and to far away to get a decent pic!! No damage done! Dogs ran and hid in kennel and daughters trikes and scooter plus a few flower pots just swirled and smashed against fence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

and what lesson did you learn today? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Big Dee

Really sorry no pics! Only had my iphone and by that stage it was out over the water and to far away to get a decent pic!! No damage done! Dogs ran and hid in kennel and daughters trikes and scooter plus a few flower pots just swirled and smashed against fence!!
    Pity you got no pics! I intercepted the heavier part of those echoes as they travelled over Clogherhead / Dunany to Ballagan in Cooley, unfortunately no tornados for me. May I ask where in Clogherhead - village or Port Oriel - hill at the latter has a big bearing on the local weather there.

pauldry wrote: »
    and what lesson did you learn today? :)

Always have a camera on hand!!!haha!!

Big Dee wrote: »
    Pity you got no pics! I intercepted the heavier part of those echoes as they travelled over Clogherhead / Dunany to Ballagan in Cooley, unfortunately no tornados for me. May I ask where in Clogherhead - village or Port Oriel - hill at the latter has a big bearing on the local weather there.

In the village passing out on to long port beach!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

You are lucky it did no damage, my uncle in North Kilkenny was not so lucky years ago.
    Went to bed, there was a storm during the night, came out in the morning to find a wall knocked down, a big heavy roller turned around and gates taken off their hinges and just thrown around.
    Quite close to the house so I guess in a way he was lucky it didn't hit the house.
    The uncle didn't know what caused it, he thought a flood but there was no marks of there being a flood, all the evidence pointed to a tornado.

At least it didn't hit your house, it would be quite scary having a tornado close to your house, I don't think I would be running for my camera...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Always have a camera on hand!!!haha!!

I think this advise has to be taken with a pinch of salt ~ unless on is actively storm chasing, when one is SUDDENLY confronted the flight syndrome engages and even if one had a camera in hand, like I did once, they might not even think of taking a photo ~~~

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

In such a scenario if one was to look for a camera they could end up missing the whole event, sometimes its better just to live in the moment and watch without technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Personally i think id be more gutted not to record any of it , not only to show others but to relive what i just seen...

Amazing structure over dublin right now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Min wrote: »
    You are lucky it did no damage, my uncle in North Kilkenny was not so lucky years ago.
    Went to bed, there was a storm during the night, came out in the morning to find a wall knocked down, a big heavy roller turned around and gates taken off their hinges and just thrown around.
    Quite close to the house so I guess in a way he was lucky it didn't hit the house.
    The uncle didn't know what caused it, he thought a flood but there was no marks of there being a flood, all the evidence pointed to a tornado.

At least it didn't hit your house, it would be quite scary having a tornado close to your house, I don't think I would be running for my camera...

Could have being a troll..if you've seen troll hunter you will get that:D
    O.P hows your drawing skills?I think the public demand pics!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

4Sheets wrote: »
    Could have being a troll..if you've seen troll hunter you will get that:D
    O.P hows your drawing skills?I think the public demand pics!:D

Min and Trolls don't like each other( think of the cave scene). So that could explain what happened:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Just experienced a tornado come right through my back garden!! Not a nice experience!! Ran upstairs to see it move out over the sea at clogherhead it seemed to stay over water for about 2-3 mins and then disappear! Really cool looking at it suck the water up because you could really see the funnel!!:)

WOW! Iam from Clogherhead myself, just that iam bloody over in Australia!! Were abouts along the big strand (port beach) did it happen??
    I would have had a great view from my bedroom window as it looks over that beach from the village, ah man iam sick i missed that!:)

• Advertisement

skipz wrote: »
    WOW! Iam from Clogherhead myself, just that iam bloody over in Australia!! Were abouts along the big strand (port beach) did it happen??
    I would have had a great view from my bedroom window as it looks over that beach from the village, ah man iam sick i missed that!:)

It came through Callystown, we can see port beach from our room window, heard today it done a lot of damage along the road to port beach down by the church- lifted a car and shattered some pigeon lofts.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

picture.php?albumid=1854&pictureid=10643
    picture.php?albumid=1854&pictureid=10642

I'm the OH of O.P! Had these on my phone- he never listens to me! You can't really see much but you might be able to see the white in the water just behind the big tree. Best I could get!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

madon wrote: »
    picture.php?albumid=1854&pictureid=10643
    picture.php?albumid=1854&pictureid=10642

I'm the OH of O.P! Had these on my phone- he never listens to me! You can't really see much but you might be able to see the white in the water just behind the big tree. Best I could get!

I cannot see them, can you try again? Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kiunno

Here are a couple of damage photos, supposedly it came up from the beach,crossed over Oriel Cove and went North over Ard na Meara where it wrecked some sheds. In my pictures; This Trampoline is not mine, it came from the house behind me lifted perfectly intact and deposited perfectly in my back garden, another is ridge tiles pulled off a house and deposited on the roof. The noise of it woke me up, I'd been gaming all night :) just wish I'd videoed it, Once in a lifetime opportunity :(
    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z19/Kiunno/Photo0126.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z19/Kiunno/Photo0127.jpg

Would love to see a video of it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smartie01

Hi,

thanks for posting all this interesting stuff!

I'm a researcher at University College London and particularly interested in this case. It looks like we're able to model this quite (surprisingly!) well and we'd like to gather as much information as possible about the damage track and intensity of the tornado. It is possible somebody from TORRO may be able to visit, but in the mean time would somebody here be willing to try to do a preliminary survey? This involves walking the damage track and trying to establish a beginning (touchdown point) and where it crossed the shore. One way to do this is by marking up a Google earth image ...

I'd also like to establish a time for the event (GMT).

I can be contacted personally at:
    davidDOTsmrtATgmailDOTcom

Cheers,

David Smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

S.M.R.T., i mean S.M.A.R.T

Advertisement