Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5W-30 A1 Engine Oil

Options
  • 16-09-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Normally get my oil in tesco, and thought i'd found it cheaper on amazon, and it had free super saver... but it won't ship to Ireland it appears. I normally get Castrol as I've a ford mondeo mk2 1.8 TD. (As to whether I should use 5W-30 or 10W-40 with this car is another's day work! after much research I'm going with 5W-30 this time!)

Ragin as I was counting on the oil to bring my order over £25!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I've been using Halfords 10w40 for over 100000 miles. Heres their 5w30 €25.59.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Defininitely worth getting 5w if this winter is like last winter. Supersavers in roscommon have the car lube stuff for about €20 I assume they have the same in Longford. They also have the various synthetic and semi synthetic castrol magnatec, edge and gtx at good prices. You can get magnatec for the price of the halfords oil if you buy it 20l at a time and edge for about €7/l in 20l.

You can buy straight from the distributer http://www.burkewestltd.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

paddyp wrote: »
    Defininitely worth getting 5w if this winter is like last winter. Supersavers in roscommon have the car lube stuff for about €20 I assume they have the same in Longford. They also have the various synthetic and semi synthetic castrol magnatec, edge and gtx at good prices. You can get magnatec for the price of the halfords oil if you buy it 20l at a time and edge for about €7/l in 20l.

You can buy straight from the distributer http://www.burkewestltd.ie/

Cheers I'll have a look in supersavers, wouldn't have really thought of it! should have said Longford/Mullingar area when in my request, was a bit freaked out initially then realised you just clicked on my profile! yeah i was thinking the 5w, just haynes manual recommends 10w... but think ford changes the specs on my engine or something as everyone saying 5w! thanks fort the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cheers I'll have a look in supersavers, wouldn't have really thought of it! should have said Longford/Mullingar area when in my request, was a bit freaked out initially then realised you just clicked on my profile! yeah i was thinking the 5w, just haynes manual recommends 10w... but think ford changes the specs on my engine or something as everyone saying 5w! thanks fort the help!

Personally I'd probably use A3/B4 as opposed to A1/B1 edge is C3 you can compare the oil specs here: http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html

I used to be a big believer in 10w40 changed regularly but when you buy the oil in larger quantities theres not much difference in price so might as well use a decent spec oil.

The difference in my van last winter with 5w40 fully synth vs 10w40 semi synth was dramatic theres so little friction it takes nearly three times as long to heat up which is a pain in winter when you're trying to clear the wind screen.

Advertisement