Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA TESOL OR PGCE

Options
  • 16-09-2011 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys, was hoping use could give me some advice please. I have just graduated with an Arts degree in english and geography and I am now due to start a post grad diploma in TESOL. I am planning on doing a PGCE after however recently I have been wondering if I would be better just applying for the PGCE now so that I could start in September 2012. If I go ahead with the TESOL this year I will have to take the following year out so that I could save. It just feels like forever until I will finally get a qualified teachers status. Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lamrin

Hi,

This is a decision only you can make. You just need to weigh up your options, and assess what your life would be like if you took both routes.
    If you take the TESOL Course, you could work abroad for a year whilst saving for your PGCE, giving you some experience (middle east jobs pay highly for qualified ESOL Teachers)
    If this isn't for you and you want to teach in a school, and this is your passion and goal, then the sooner you can do the PGCE the better. Get some voluntary experience working in a School, see if you have the skills and emotional resilience required.

Decide which life you could imagine yourself in the most, what is your dream? If you won 5,000 what would you do? Would you spend it on your PGCE?
    If you are a young person in your 20's, I wouldn't worry so much about taking the time to explore both options. You have plenty of time to get some experience and go into teaching in your mid 20's.

Thanks,
    Lamrin

Advertisement