Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science or Sociology?

• 16-09-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering, which is a better degree for getting into Social Work.

I'm doing Sociology as part of my Arts degree in Maynooth this year with Psychology and either English or Classics.

I was just wondering can Sociology with a postgrad be enough to become a Social Worker or would I have been better off taking the Social Science course?

They seem similar enough, barr the fact Social Science is restricted entry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Social Science is easier for getting into a social work masters, as you can go straight in. If you haven't done social policy as part of your undergrad, you will need to do a course in it before you can go on to do a Masters in social work. Think they do the diplomas in social policy in Trinity and UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Social Science without a doubt because you are doing Social Policy as one of your subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Ok thanks.

Think I might do a diploma in social policy after my undergrad or I might see if I can do an extra module from social science.

Advertisement