Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

novice cross country championships...

Options
  • 16-09-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

see its on october 2nd in phoenix park, anyone here entering??i know its novices, but whats the standard like?i think its a 6k race

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

seedorf117 wrote: »
    see its on october 2nd in phoenix park, anyone here entering??i know its novices, but whats the standard like?i think its a 6k race

Standard is usually very good in this race, Won't be running it this year but wish I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

what sort of time would win this 6k you think? i can find previous teams that have competed, but looking for individual times from previous years, cant find them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

http://www.dublinathletics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:novice-cross-country-results&catid=4:2010-results&Itemid=16

Bit of a nightmare trying to final any results on that website, but they are all there.

And yep, fairly decent standard alright, won by John Travers no less!

Edit, you said you cant see the individual results, when you open the excel spreadsheet, it opens on the team worksheet by default, down the bottom left hand side click on individual!

cheers timmaay!if that race was 6k there fairly decent bloody times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

Go for it if you can. It is a great race to run in. It's not just young lads either - there is room for people of any age who just happen to be novices still. The ground is usually fairly firm so you won't always need spikes either (and if you do, the short ones might be best).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Last year's course (its always the same - the Munich hills) - 3.62 miles on Garmin (I forgot to restart for the cool down) allowing for GPS error margin, pretty much 6k
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55138019

(5:54 average pace for cross country and finished 36th out of 84 - up fron the standard is very high)

oldrunner wrote: »
    Last year's course (its always the same - the Munich hills) - 3.62 miles on Garmin (I forgot to restart for the cool down) allowing for GPS error margin, pretty much 6k
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55138019

(5:54 average pace for cross country and finished 36th out of 84 - up fron the standard is very high)
    cheers for that man. is it a hard course?2 circuits???
    looking forawrd to it now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You would want to be sub 20 for 5km on the roads and even at that you'll be at the tail end.

Woddle wrote: »
    You would want to be sub 20 for 5km on the roads and even at that you'll be at the tail end.

i have 17.50 for 5k, so id prob finish middle of field hopefully in this

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Should be doing this too if I can slot it into marathon training. Looks like a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

seedorf117 wrote: »
    i have 17.50 for 5k, so id prob finish middle of field hopefully in this

I reckon that is about right. Ran this last year (though not 100% due to sickness) and was just outside top 50. Great event though I wouldnt worry about times as the distance is very rarely accurate. The course is challenging enough laps down around the munich loop with combination of rolling hills and short climbs to go with long flat stretches

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Don't forget every county has their Novice and Intermediate XC coming up. Wicklow's is Oct 2nd in Rathdrum pop along and enter as a guest if you want to give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Anyone running this tomorrow?

Predictions?

Looks like its going to be a muddy race with all the rain tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

It's on Sunday not Saturday.usually won by a guy and girl who are just out of Junior.
    Last year was John Travers who ran 3..42 for 1500m this year.
    Don't think conditions will be bad as good drainage in the Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I will be running it as my 1st xcountry. I am about twice the age of the whippersnapper likely to be in 1st.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Don't forget every county has their Novice and Intermediate XC coming up. Wicklow's is Oct 2nd in Rathdrum pop along and enter as a guest if you want to give it a try.
    should be interesting sunday, mainly dry i think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Took the spikes out for a spin last night, first outing since Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great race, the course was longer than last year, measured 6.75km on my garmin. Finished in second place, also picked up a second placed team medal. Roll on the cross country season.

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Great race, the course was longer than last year, measured 6.75km on my garmin. Finished in second place, also picked up a second placed team medal. Roll on the cross country season.
    fair ****s man, great race, who got third team??any link for results. well done.

The team result

1st Clonliffe
    2nd Donore H
    3rd Raheny
    4th Sportsworld
    5th Rathfarnham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running heff. Mud fest?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kevd2000

Any one know the womens results?

The course wasn't too bad, pretty fast, considering the amount off rainfall we had the last 2 days...

kevd2000 wrote: »
    sweet...got a bronze medal!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Super third lap from yourself. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

That was a class race today. Savage pace and standard! Third lap was a grueller for me in this. Had nothing left in the tank! Just about fell over the line!! Think i got between 19th and 26th place, not sure though. Any idea if and when the results will be up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

kevd2000 wrote: »

Leona O'Reilly (Liffey Valley) won. She got away on the first lap from a group of four. Emma Donlon (MSB) in her first ever cross-country race (better known for mountain running and adventure races) tried to catch her on the 2nd lap but she held on. Aoife Rickard (Donore) was 3rd.

Two more mountain runners (Jasons Reid and Keogh) were around top 10 in men's race.

Results will be posted here when available, http://www.dublinathletics.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

It was my 1st cross country event, did not prepare as well as I could have but happy enough. What a sufferfest!

1st lap I went out too quick, 2nd lap thought I might die, last lap I was just hanging on. Going was ok despite the rain.

Trip to Octoberfest this eve probably not helping recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChampsEvrywhre

The team result

1st Clonliffe
    2nd Donore H
    3rd Raheny
    4th Sportsworld
    5th Rathfarnham

There is a mistake in the team results. They added up the bib numbers of the Crusaders A team instead of the placings. They get promoted from 8th to 5th place. It should look like this:

1st Clonliffe 19
    2nd Donore A 39
    3rd Raheny 65
    4th Sportsworld 77
    5th Crusaders 79
    6th Rathfarnham 102
    7th Liffey Valley
    8th Donore B 166
    9th Dublin Front Runners 183 (Fastest 4th man)
    10th Skerries 183
    11th Tallaght 200
    12th Crusaders B 212

A successful race with good running conditions and some very good running up in front.

There was a bit of confusion with the course as it was different from last years (5.8km). This year it worked out roughly at 6.6km.

Donore did a great job again in the clubhouse afterwards with gallons of tea, treats and copious amounts of friendliness.

Well done to all who ran!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Good man Dave, a crackin' return to form. Cant wait for this marathon now, gonna be some second half I reckon.

Advertisement