Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam

• 16-09-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Just a heads up .Recieved a call from a far Eastern woman today claiming that I had a problem with my computer.She said she worked for Microsoft.I had heard of this scam before where eventually they will ask for credit card details to fix problem so I led her up the garden path for a while and then told her where to go.Let your family and friends know about this as there have been quite a few people stung .My wife also got a call from a man 2 weeks ago with the same scam.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya dirty fecker, leading her up the garden path!! Well I never!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Yeah, this scam seems to be widespread. I've had at east 6 calls from this lot. The last one my missus answered and gave him a right ear bashing and told him where to go. And not in the polite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

She rings YOU up and tells YOU you have a problem with YOUR computer?

Anyone who get's caught by that deserves it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

If I received that call I would respond with the question 'so, what are you wearing?' and see how long before they hung up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

She rings YOU up and tells YOU you have a problem with YOUR computer?

Anyone who get's caught by that deserves it IMO.

I agree with you, but still no harm in letting people know. Maybe some older or much younger person who may be a bit gullible in this situation, could get caught out. Someones mother or father or little brother or sister perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Rang me last week. I put him onto handy manny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

there are nearly a thousand posts about it here !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We've got these calls at home as well.

Any idea of where they get people's landline number?

Or are they just using a number generator machine?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Unless I'm mistaken it seems to only be where someone has Eircom Broadband. Anyone other than Eircom customers get a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭blaa85

Yep, I'm with UPC. I asked for their number and they hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Also with UPC,and have had 4-5 calls from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Never got a call from them when I was with Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I'm with UPC and after getting about 6 or 7 calls from them. Lately I've decided to buy an air horn and they get a blast of that till they hang up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Yep, with UPC and have had over 30 calls from them.

I would imagine that there are companies selling your information online.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

With UTV and getting calls anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

They rang me last week, I have em my credit card details and they never fixed my problem
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

Someone rang my parents from "Microsoft" and told them they had detected a problem with their computer, I think they have satellite broadband or something similar, not landline based anyway.

They didn't look for credit card details but they asked for their IP address, maybe they cut them off when they asked for the CC. Anyway suddenly their laptop was infected with viruses and they couldn't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Got a call before.
    Asked which computer and they got very confused :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Is it only landlines they are ringing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Ask the pricks for their number because you are very busy at the moment, and you will ring them back when they are busy so you can annoy the fcuk out of them.

That is my response to all phone solicitations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭Bababa

Is everyone who got calls using Dell machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭GarethBah

I told them i have no computer, and then they asked if anybody in the house uses a computer and i said no, then i started laughing at them, they haven't phoned back since :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Just keep them talking for as long as you can, it really pisses them off when they realise that you know what their game is. I got my first call from this lot around 18months ago and made a point of warning everyone in the village, especially my elderly friends. Maybe they go on area code because it seems to happen in one area at a time. Keeping them on the phone must cause them aggro from their bosses because they aren't getting results.

michellie wrote: »
    Is it only landlines they are ringing ?

Yes from what I gather anyway!!

Bababa wrote: »
    Is everyone who got calls using Dell machines?

No mines a toshiba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

this is going on for over a year now or maybe longer, how come they haven't been put out of business by the authorities in EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

I use a HP, I don't think they know I'd say they're just chancing their arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

I called him a cu*t and told him to f**k home. Never rang back strangely enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

danjo-xx wrote: »
    this is going on for over a year now or maybe longer, how come they haven't been put out of business by the authorities in EU.

because they are based in india

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

True story: I was in a friend's house over the weekend when they rang. I hear the woman of the house talking and immediately knew what was going on. I told her to put them on to me.

They told me that my computer was downloading messages and sending viruses etc. I played the fool. Act shocked and said hold on til I go to the computer. They assured me that they would stay on the line.

So, I turned on the computer.

"please choose an activity"

I had grabbed the child's "first talking computer.

"ok the computer is on now"

"ok can you go to "run" and type..."

"eh..where do i find that!?"

"press start.."

"ok.."

"please choose an activity"

"what type of computer is it?"

"eh..one sec...its a model fisher price...my first talking computer"

>agitated. "eh is there another computer in the house?"

"nope this is the one we use..mainly for gaming"

*hangs up*

Advertisement