Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I asked them how they knew I had a virus, and they said they could see virus activity on my IP address. I asked them what my address was and he started off 192.168... at which point I asked, "don't you know that this is a private network address and is not publicly routable? Well you're the experts lads, surely you know this?"

The guy got very agitated then when I asked how the hell they got my number. He just kept on saying "from the independent agency sir!" while I kept on asking "what independent agency? give me their web address or phone number!"

He stonewalled for a while and I told him I didn't believe a word he was saying. He really got quite agitated with me and eventually I hung up. I'd just hate for some old person to give these fcukers their credit card details.

Months back I led them up the garden path, but on that latest occasion, I didn't have the time, so I took the direct approach.

Sick of them calling now though. I only answer them when I'm in the mood! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

fricatus wrote: »
    I asked them how they knew I had a virus, and they said they could see virus activity on my IP address. I asked them what my address was and he started off 192.168... at which point I asked, "don't you know that this is a private network address and is not publicly routable? Well you're the experts lads, surely you know

I'm guessing a private network address is your home address and a public one is one in an Internet cafe??? How can they tell you what your ip address is when they ring you?? Would this not be some kind of hacking?? Really not a IT genius!!:confused: Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Had a call from "Johnny Wilson" yesterday who was calling from "Microsoft Windows" and oul Johnny had a pretty strong indian accent. Instead of winding him up though I put the phone straight down as I wanted to watch the rugby highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

I feel a little bit put out that they havent rang me yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

me too im actually ready for them to ring :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I always tell them I have an Apple Mac and it really throws them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 thegoldenchild

this crowd also targeted my elderly grandmother, who by the way does not even have a PC/laptop/internet connection in her home. She answered several calls, telling them she did not have a computer and could not understand why they were calling. By chance, two seperate people of Indian origin rang one day while I was there, and I had great pleasure in giving both of them a severe piece of my mind.....needless to say, she received no more calls....but how are they getting people's numbers? It must be through Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

but how are they getting people's numbers? It must be through Eircom

I heard recently that say for example your filling in a form be it online or in person and you put down all your details etc but at the very end there is a part that says please tick this box if you do not wish to be contacted by a member of a third party. Weather it's true now or not I don't know but it kinda makes sense because you really don't know who looks at these forms when your finished with them.

So the company your filling it in for could pass it on to another company and likewise with that company to the next so you really don't know where it ends up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I have my home phone with UPC. I don't even know my own number to be honest...I actually very rarely use it. So I definitely didn't fill it in on any form. The number was obviously listed and they got it from that. I've since asked UPC to make it unlisted but of course it's too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'd say they just generate numbers, say if they know the Irish area codes and for (051) are 6 digits maybe they have a system that can dial 051 111111, 051 111112 etc. they've probably developed some kind of system that just tests the line and where a phone rings the person sitting in a call centre talking to you is just on the phone and the call gets put through to them. I briefly worked in telesales and that's how it was done, except that the numbers were legitimately obtained from databases etc. When you finish a call the computer automatically dials the next number

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of these Indian call centres and see what kind of pressure the supervisors are putting callers under and what training they get in order to scam people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just wondering are the people getting these calls ex directory. I have never been called, ex directory and I'm listed not to get marketing calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

I got a call and led them on for a while...

then he said ''do u use IE 7 8 or 9'' i said I use Safari...
    he said i dont know what safari is Sir... i said its what I use the internet on..
    He stumbled for a few minutes asking about microsoft IE.... I said I have Mac, I dont use Microsoft.. at which point he just hung up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

My mother received a call from this crowd last week, she passed the phone to me as she hadn't a clue what they wanted. When I heard the infamous line "I'm calling from microsoft", I knew it was the scam ppl and I just said I wasn't interested and hung up.

Here's their number from my caller ID : 00253820308. Feel free to give them a buzz, tell them Carolinej said to call :D

BTW, the parents are listed to not receive marketing calls, so don't know how the scammers get phone numbers, the b*astards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

carolinej wrote: »

BTW, the parents are listed to not receive marketing calls, so don't know how the scammers get phone numbers, the b*astards.

I'm listed not to receive calls too but as I said earlier I've got at least 6 of these calls. Well actually my wife has as when they call the asked for her by name, which suggests to me that they are not generating the numbers randomly. I have since rang Eircom about been on the database for not receiving cold calls, and they gave me another number to ring, which was some crowd who know all about this scam and were investigating it. I don't have the number but ring Eircom 1901 and I'm sure they'll give it to you too. Only thing is the crowd investigating more or less admitted that they are struggling to do anything about it. But if they get inundated with complaints, maybe something will get done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

"from the independent agency sir!"
    maybe it was thins guy calling from a security hut in Nigeria somewhere.

A5C67BA7-C7B7-4AED-9D91-5D5593E46230_extra.jpg

Advertisement