Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Autumn 2011

Options
  • 16-09-2011 1:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Time for an Autumn thread methinks.

Looks like there could be a couple of sparks this afternoon as showers over the Midlands intensify and move eastwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ye a few heavy showers no developing inland.

This after the tornado reported in Clogherhead.

Will be interesting to see how active they become as the Dublin region is seemingly in their path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WOO! right on the balL!.... Just as i was gonna post about great structure! BAM THUNDER! :D

RIGHT OVER DUBLIN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Big Black Anvil shape rolling in over Dublin City Center now :eek:

Watching it 5 Floors up in Dublin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Iancar29 wrote: »
    WOO! right on the balL!.... Just as i was gonna post about great structure! BAM THUNDER! :D

RIGHT OVER DUBLIN! :D

dam was in tesco & missed it,when i came out it looked like it was after been pissin & said to myself "wouldnt be surprised if there was thunder" :(

delw wrote: »
    dam was in tesco & missed it,when i came out it looked like it was after been pissin & said to myself "wouldnt be surprised if there was thunder" :(

Surely u heard that 2nd one then?! :D

I was taking a picture with my iphone of a real bright rainbow ( but far away on camera :( ) and i saw the faint flash of the lightning! :)

NIce day to cheer me up b4 i got to go to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Thunder incoming from teh SW in Dundalk...excessively heavy rain all morning but the last shower even out did that earlier rain.

Another rumble just now and my head is splitting (a sure sign that there's more to come)

[edit] Wow monsoonal levels of rainfall here now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

...and no photos :p

Wertz wrote: »
    Thunder incoming from teh SW in Dundalk...excessively heavy rain all morning but the last shower even out did that earlier rain.

Another rumble just now and my head is splitting (a sure sign that there's more to come)

On the current radar it even has the light blue for 16mm per hour or higher rainfall over Louth, well a dot of it.

Min wrote: »
    ...and no photos :p

Mine will be up on IWO FB page soon... Too large to post here...

HAve to get ready for work! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I was taking a picture with my iphone of a real bright rainbow ( but far away on camera :( ) and i saw the faint flash of the lightning! :)

NIce day to cheer me up b4 i got to go to work.

:eek: didnt hear a thing here Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

:confused: I only heard one. It was quite distant and seemed to be to the north in the Airport/Swords direction.

...aaaand like someone turning off a tap it just stopped, sun is out and steam coming off the roads outside. Didn't catch any more rumbles after the initial few...raintoday doppler showing darkest shade over here and ardee... estofex mentions possibility of coastal storms here tonight as well. Bring it.

delw wrote: »
    :eek: didnt hear a thing here Ian

:confused: I only heard one. It was quite distant and seemed to be to the north in the Airport/Swords direction.

Ye ther was 2... one initial one from the one right over me and then another as mentioned towards the airport... i just about saw the flash from it while taking this :)

med_gallery_12235_967_80912.jpg...
    YA S have me rushing for work now! ... things i do aye?! ha...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But you can go to work knowing we appreciate your weather photographic skills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some big dumps around Punchestown, but just up the road in Blessington, hardly a drop:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

This photo was snapped tonight by Martin McKenna in Maghera / Magherafelt.

294562_2213099240318_1032643585_32383688_755740760_n.jpg
    Quick image from this afternoon's thunderstorm over Maghera looking at the rear of the storm (moving R to L) at the inflow region facing E at a massive rotating wall cloud with big funnel wrapping up underneath with brilliant rotation and vertical upwards motion like a waterfall in reverse - so close to a tornado!! - Sept 16th. Amaazing motion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Mine will be up on IWO FB page soon... Too large to post here...
    Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

This photo was snapped tonight by Martin McKenna in Maghera / Magherafelt.

That guy really must be the luckiest man in the country for weather, he's forever getting great shots that never seem to appear anywhere else in the country

I know! He has had some awesome shots of weather, he also sells his photography as his job, so that would probably help him being out all the time snapping lol

Would it be to do with him living so close to the Glenshane?

I always keep an eye on things whenever conditions are right for thunderstorms or tornados and the best I've ever seen is a few mini funnels, he seems to see some amazing structures on a monthly basis!

I asked about the Glenshane Pass on here last year actually, he lives right at the bottom of the pass at the at the start of a vast flat area. Can't actually remember the explanation I was given but I'd imagine the terrain has a significant influence on the weather around there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

forget Donegal, whats going on in clare at the moment??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some vigorous convection going on with the afternoon sunshine, looks good for some thunder east of here.
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Lovely flat topper to my S...according to the doppler it's over clogherhead. Some interesting stuff building to the W that might give something here later hopefully.

irish1967 wrote: »

Not a thing here so far, suns shining and only one light shower that lasted less than a minute since I got out of bed. The showers dont seem to be developing until they're further inland

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Took this there now, one part looks nice and the other looks like if a gateway to hell is about to open :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The photo of the Funnel Cloud by Martin McKenna was used on this evening's BBC Newsline's weather just before 7pm.

The photo of the Funnel Cloud by Martin McKenna was used on this evening's BBC Newsline's weather just before 7pm.

What funnel cloud pic?

We should be calling him Martin Funnel Cloud McKenna for now on! ha
    Lucky Fecker he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't know much about weather but now I've been going'round with my eyes peeled for funnel (and other interesting) clouds because of you guys. :D Am a danger on the road so I am.

• Advertisement

What funnel cloud pic?

We should be calling him Martin Funnel Cloud McKenna for now on! ha
    Lucky Fecker he is!

He really is the luckist guy in Northern Ireland when it comes to weather watching here! I've got him on facebook and every other week he has a new funnel cloud picture up lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement