Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtownville Waterford

• 16-09-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am helping research a family tree for a friend in the states. Now i have a record of a family member being born in Newtownville Waterford. Now I know we have the Newtown area ( up by DeLaSalle) and there is also a newtown out in Kilmacthomas but ive never heard of Newtownville.

Any history buffs help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

jad2007 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am helping research a family tree for a friend in the states. Now i have a record of a family member being born in Newtownville Waterford. Now I know we have the Newtown area ( up by DeLaSalle) and there is also a newtown out in Kilmacthomas but ive never heard of Newtownville.

Any history buffs help?

JULIAN WALTON , WLRFM ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

jad2007 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Any history buffs help?

Well, ville is meant to mean village, and town means town. So we have johnville and johnstown. But Newtownville is just crazy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 S_Snail

If you go to www.osi.ie and look at Newtown in Waterford City on their interactive map its there on the Historical 6inch But it is Newtown Villas on the Historical 25inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

It strikes me that "Newtownville" might actually be Newtown Villas, that line of tall houses on the Dunmore Road - after passing the main gate of Newtown School, as you go out of town, there is the high stone wall and then the road takes a turn to the right and the line of houses are on the right. They were called "Newtown Villas" as they were part of Newtown School and were used as residences for some of the staff and also as dormitories for some of the students.

There was a maternity home along that side of the road. I don't think it was in one of the houses of Newtown Villas but was one of the houses just immediately after them before you reach the junction with Passage Road.

My wife is a Waterford woman and was born there. It is one of the family stories that she came home a considerable time before her mother - who decided, it seems, that she needed a rest after giving birth and that the cost of having her there was more than her father was earning at the time.

Anyway, hope that helps a little. Best wishes with the detective work.

A stray thought has struck me that what I am calling Newtown Villas above was known as "Newtown Buildings". There was also a house along that road which was called "Newtwon Villa".

The 1911 census details are available online and might be a source of information for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Thanks for your reply Black Dog and S Snail. On the historical OSI map of Waterford there is a large house called Newtown Ville and there was also a row of houses called Newtown Villas.

The next step is trying and dig out the birth cert in the Cathedral and take it from there.

Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement