Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please, please only buy from reputable breeders

• 16-09-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

This morning I took a beautiful 2 year old malamute bitch to the vet as I was very, very concerned about her back legs. I have her IKC papers, so know that was born in July 2009. She was handed over to me by a family who had her chained up in their back garden, and the man hit her repeatedly with a lead in front of me, trying to get her into my van.

I sat on the floor at the vet's surgery cradling her head (she was too big to go up on the table) while her front leg was shaved, and she was sedated. I fed her garlic sausage, her favourite treat while the vet then injected her and I felt her life slip away.

Miya had such severe hip displacia that the vet and I felt this was the kindest thing to do for her, she was in constant pain in both hips.

Please, please, please, if you are considering buying a puppy, only go to a reputable breeder who has done all the relevant health tests for that breed, and make sure that you see the results. I wrote to her breeder, but she never replied to me, so how many other mals are out there suffering in the same way?

If anyone has a malamute that was born in July 2009 and wants to know if they are litter mates, or indeed wants to check with me the dam or sires names, please pm me. I will be contacting the IKC, but really don't expect them to do anything.

Run free at the bridge Miya, you deserved so much more.

Nana1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

What a shame. Well done for doing your best ISDW. Miya thanks you for it as well as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

thats very sad for such a beautiful girl:(
    probably just as well she came into your care or she could still be in agony:(

well done for helping her, what an awful morning for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

There are no words.

At least (and it really is least) she was loved and treated with dignity and kindness in her final moments.

Did you have her long ISDW? From your post it reads that you had only just gotten her from the lowlifes that had her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    There are no words.

At least (and it really is least) she was loved and treated with dignity and kindness in her final moments.

Did you have her long ISDW? From your post it reads that you had only just gotten her from the lowlifes that had her.

She was here for 6 weeks.

She was so scared when she first came, that I wanted to gain her trust before I got her in the crate in the van, so was working on that, feeding her in a crate etc, and also with getting a muzzle on her, just in case. She was also in season when she came, so wanted her to get over that, so the vet could give her a proper examination.

I think deep down I knew it was so bad that putting her to sleep would be her best option, so I've been putting off taking her to the vets. She was such a sweet girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

As the owner of a dog who in the words of my vets - has the worse hips she had seen in her career - I know the road is a long one where hip displacia is concerned our girl also had a bone deformaity - she is a pedigree and had other litter mates and I often wonder what happened to them and if they are still alive. Thankfully we caught her's early 7 months but the following year was a struggle between cartifen injections, accupuncture, metacam, hydrotherapy etc etc but she is now 3 1/2 years old and flying so its not all doom and gloom where hip displacia is concerned.

It can't have been an easy decision for you Karen to make but you gave her the best and she went with someone who loved her beside her - what more could she have asked for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Jeez Karen this is heartbreaking, am in bits after reading your post. Well done, she knew love for her last 6 weeks.

Asshole breeders have an awful lot to answer for.

Run free gorgeous girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

ISDW I wish I could thank your post twice!
    When people come on here talking about breeding their pets or unhealth tested dogs posters like myself are made to feel like we are lecturing or sitting on our soap box etc. but this poor girl is the end result of people not doing the right thing 1) not health testing 2) selling their pups to people who shouldn't be left in charge of goldfish let alone a dog.
    Well done for doing right by her, it's just a pity she had to suffer so much in her short life :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jesus that is so sad Isdw.Was there no way of saving her through surgery??I thought displasia could be treated through surgery although expensive??

Christ its sad that a 2 year old dog has to go through that.

I know youre saying go to reputable breeders and all that but you say you have the IKC papers...does that not mean that they were a registered breeder and as such supposedly reputable in the eyes of the person that bought the dog in the first place..

Or is it the case that IKC registration is not worth the paper its wrote on??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Jesus that is so sad Isdw.Was there no way of saving her through surgery??I thought displasia could be treated through surgery although expensive??

Christ its sad that a 2 year old dog has to go through that.

I know youre saying go to reputable breeders and all that but you say you have the IKC papers...does that not mean that they were a registered breeder and as such supposedly reputable in the eyes of the person that bought the dog in the first place..

I don't personally know the ins or out of the case but I would suspect that the dog was subject to poor treatment as well as poor nutrition which along with poor breeding would have given her a poor prognosis.

People should see IKC papers the same way they would the log book of a car. The log book of a car tells you the make, model and age a car but it doesn't tell you if the current owner has looked after it well or whether it has been crashed etc. IKC papers are similar, they tell you the breed of dog you have, that both parents where the same breed, who bred the dog and when. What it doesn't tell you is if the parents where health tested, good examples of the breed etc. So while they have some value they should not on their own be taken as a quality mark for a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

That's true IMO

I wonder if it would be possible to copy the first post into the puppy thread at the top. While puppy farms are of course an issue, I think this of badly bred dogs is also one that could be highlighted in the sticky?

Hellrazer, IKC papers mean nothing, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a registered breeder here (but I'm open to correction on that). I will inform the IKC about this girl, but they won't do anything. I contacted them about a dog that came out of a pound, was seized by the warden, I wanted to get the microchip changed. They told me to email them, I did, three times and never heard a thing back. In my opinion, as long as they get their money for the registration of pups, they don't care. I wrote to her breeder over a month ago and have had no reply - what does that tell you? All I said in the letter was that I had taken the dog in, and would like to talk about her, made no accusations, nothing, as I didn't know her story.

This girl was sold as a pup, then sold again when she was about 18 months old, maybe because of her bad hips.

I trust my vet completely, and we discussed whether she could be treated. The reality of it is that finding a new family willing to spend the kind of money needed on replacing both hips, and any other issues would have been virtually impossible. My vet did say that even with a totally committed, rich owner, (her words) the prognosis wouldn't have been good, she would have been in pain every day. This way, she just fell asleep, she loved her garlic sausage, so her last moments were being spoken to, stroked and eating her favourite treat - not a bad way to go:)

Her condition was probably because of bad breeding, no health testing, and possibly bad treatment. I understand that it is really hard when buying a pup to find a reputable breeder, sometimes even the ones that have champion dogs aren't that reputable. But research the breeder and the health tests they have done before buying a pup and you and your dog will at least stand a fighting chance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whispered wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be possible to copy the first post into the puppy thread at the top. While puppy farms are of course an issue, I think this of badly bred dogs is also one that could be highlighted in the sticky?

Done.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74436936&postcount=2

:o Prob shoulda checked first.

Sorry :)

ISDW wrote: »
    Hellrazer, IKC papers mean nothing, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a registered breeder here (but I'm open to correction on that).
    I wasnt sure myself if there was such a thing but I thought having IKC registration meant something--It obviously doesnt and Im absolutely sickened by this story.

:o Prob shoulda checked first.

Sorry :)

Only did it after your post so no need for the red faced smiley.

I wasnt sure myself if there was such a thing but I thought having IKC registration meant something--It obviously doesnt and Im absolutely sickened by this story.

I did a project recently on a breeder, one which I would consider an ethical one. He claims the IKC papers are worth nothing when it comes to the health of the dog and actually thinks it can make it easier for a byb to sell their pups as most people do think they are some sort of guarantee of a well bred dog.

I did a project recently on a breeder, one which I would consider an ethical one. He claims the IKC papers are worth nothing when it comes to the health of the dog and actually thinks it can make it easier for a byb to sell their pups as most people do think they are some sort of guarantee of a well bred dog.

I cant see why the reputable breeders could not get together and form some sort of asociation or something??
    Reputable breeders of Ireland or something where you can only become a member if you carry out x,y,z on your breeding dogs and pups.It would make sense from a purely ethical point of view and give potential new owners a piece of mind when it comes to health issues.Surely something like that would be in the breeders best interests (not to mention the dogs) aswell??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

totally agree with this. for me reputable means someone who has health tested and has an obvious deep love for and knowledge about the breed, not just or even IKC registered.

ISDW- when discussing HD op with our vet he said that the op is successful but there is a considerable amount of pain and cage rest involved.....X2 for both hips, which can be very stressful for dogs especially high energy ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Very saddened to hear Miyas' sad story :(
    I am glad, however, that she got some real love and attention before she had to go, that she got to know what it was like to be loved. So so sad, she was very beautiful.

I cant see why the reputable breeders could not get together and form some sort of asociation or something??

As far as I know there are certain clubs, I know that in our conversation I learned there is an association for the GSD's and that to register with the club or association you have to have certain health tests done on the parents of the pups. I don't know enough about them to ever recommend them, but it sounds like a good idea. You don't HAVE to register with them. There could be an undercurrent of competition though, and other breeders thinking "well why would I join x's club" if you know what I mean. Maybe a seperate body altogether would work.

I don't know if there are others, but like you said it would be a great idea to set up an association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I've had an awful week at work and am having some behavioural problems with one of my dogs so was feeling pretty sorry for myself until I read this post.
    Thank God ( or whoever) that my guys are ok, I have one with pretty bad hip dysplacia but thankfully she has responded well to medication so she is not in pain as far as we can tell.
    Fair play to ISDW that must have been a really tough decision but you did so well in making the right one for your girl, really puts my minor troubles in perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Typical scare mongering from the OP -

No doubt the dog dying was a sad story but I'd imagine most dogs in ireland arent from 'reputable' breeders and last I heard there wasnt an epidemic of dogs having to be put down over bad hips -

Also wasnt there a thread recently on boards about a reputable breeder and crufts winner having a puppy farm?

Nobody on boards had 'dont but of a reputable breeder as they be a puppy farmer' thread -

Although its probably best buying dogs known for poor health due to breeding to buy of a reputable breeder but if you if you want to buy a dog not known for health issues like pitbull terriers and spaniels then I wouldnt bother forking out the few hundred extra on a dog that'll be no different.

The propaghada and comes out of some of the 'reputable' posters here does be astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Oranage2 wrote: »

No doubt the dog dying was a sad story but I'd imagine most dogs in ireland arent from 'reputable' breeders and last I heard there wasnt an epidemic of dogs having to be put down over bad hips -

Also wasnt there a thread recently on boards about a reputable breeder and crufts winner having a puppy farm?

Nobody on boards had 'dont but of a reputable breeder as they be a puppy farmer' thread -

Although its probably best buying dogs known for poor health due to breeding to buy of a reputable breeder but if you if you want to buy a dog not known for health issues like pitbull terriers and spaniels then I wouldnt bother forking out the few hundred extra on a dog that'll be no different.

The propaghada and comes out of some of the 'reputable' posters here does be astonishing.

The shiit stirring from yourself at times does also be astonishing.:rolleyes:

Ive had enough of this oranage2--Youve cropped up too many times in the last few weeks so you can now take a small break from the forum.You have been warned in the past by other mods and are currently banned from 3 other forums on boards for trolling.So you can add another forum to that list.
    2 Week ban issued.

The shiit stirring from yourself at times does also be astonishing.:rolleyes:

Please dont back seat moderate.Report the post instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Please dont back seat moderate.Report the post instead.

Apologies. Late night tipsy response from myself. :o

You really think that I wanted to spend my Friday morning killing a beautiful dog? Just so that I can then come onto here and 'scaremonger'?

As we're talking about malamutes, lets discuss the line with epilepsy. I personally know someone who had to have their dog put to sleep at 18 months because it was so bad. I also know at least 4 other people who have dogs from those lines who have major aggression issues. I met one man with a dog from those lines, who proudly told me about his dog's heritage, that it had an American champion in it, so I knew what lines it was from. I told him about the epilepsy, so that he could keep an eye on his dog, but he ignored me and has bred from that dog at least once. Is it the breeders who then have to deal with those dogs' problems? No its not, its the owners, the dog wardens, the vets, the vet nurses, the behaviourists, the trainers and the shelters. Why should someone who works in a vets or in a pound have to kill dogs because of greedy breeders?

There isn't an epidemic of dogs in Ireland being put to sleep because of bad hips, but there is an epidemic of them being killed in pounds around the country. Does it really matter what the reason for them dying is, the fact is they are being killed and it all comes back to overbreeding to make a quick Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

ISDW wrote: »
    You really think that I wanted to spend my Friday morning killing a beautiful dog? Just so that I can then come onto here and 'scaremonger'?

As we're talking about malamutes, lets discuss the line with epilepsy. I personally know someone who had to have their dog put to sleep at 18 months because it was so bad. I also know at least 4 other people who have dogs from those lines who have major aggression issues. I met one man with a dog from those lines, who proudly told me about his dog's heritage, that it had an American champion in it, so I knew what lines it was from. I told him about the epilepsy, so that he could keep an eye on his dog, but he ignored me and has bred from that dog at least once. Is it the breeders who then have to deal with those dogs' problems? No its not, its the owners, the dog wardens, the vets, the vet nurses, the behaviourists, the trainers and the shelters. Why should someone who works in a vets or in a pound have to kill dogs because of greedy breeders?

There isn't an epidemic of dogs in Ireland being put to sleep because of bad hips, but there is an epidemic of them being killed in pounds around the country. Does it really matter what the reason for them dying is, the fact is they are being killed and it all comes back to overbreeding to make a quick Euro.

In the UK they started to import Malamutes to help establish the breed in 1964 and the Malamute club was started, when it was discovered that one of their foundation lines had a few cases of Hip dysplasia action had to be taken as this threatened the future of the breed there, All breeding was stopped until a new healthy line of dogs(Tote-Um line) could be imported and basically the breeding program reset-ted. There were no BYB of Malamutes in the UK at that time and it was reputable breeders that saw a problem in their dogs and done the right thing, Most of the Malamutes in Ireland I would imagine come from the UK lines and it is because of people trying to make fast money that this disease is starting to rare is ugly head once more.

Advertisement