Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please, please only buy from reputable breeders

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Many readers will be shocked or upset reading this thread but this happens every day in Irish rescues. This beautiful animal had to die because of poor breeding, neglect & the cost of treatment. Yet thousands of perfectly healthy dogs are killed but this is done out of sight & out of mind. Rescues have to constantly make these horrendous decisions yet people still post here complaining about them. They are accused of being too selective, bitchy or litigious yet if any of us spent a while in their shoes we would see why they might get a little touchy.

The recession is causing a triple whammy. The rescues are getting far less money, there are more dogs being dumped & more people are breeding as a way to make money. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that the majority of breeders really care. If any other profession was in such disrepute they would be clamouring to form an association to set & enforce standards. Some may remember the Dog Breeding ( anti puppy farming) Bill that now seems to of died a death. I have been assured that many of the objections to this Bill were from show breeders & clubs. Dog breeding is big business so there will be plenty who won't be put off by hereditary disease - after all they won't be paying the Vet bills.

Unfortunately Ireland is a country that likes owning dogs but not taking responsibility which is the worse combination. The desire, impulse, impatience, fashion, cheaper price etc all conspire to make people want a dog of a specific breed in a hurry. We all know that a responsible breeder will not have pups for sale - they will of been booked before they were born. I recently enquired regarding a Newfoundland pup. The breeder said that she was taking bookings for around January 2012 - the buyer bought one off an advert. There is no incentive for breeders to form an association as people will buy anyway. It's the buyers that fuel the demand yet there are complaints when we suggest a rescue dog.

ISDW has given us a personal insight into what is involved if you choose to help animals. A few of us will know exactly how she feels because we have been there. In this case there was no alternative & ISDW can rest easy knowing that she did the best thing for the dog.

So before we criticise a rescue or seek to curtail their promotion, try to imagine being in their shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Discodog wrote: »
    Rescues have to constantly make these horrendous decisions yet people still post here complaining about them. They are accused of being too selective, bitchy or litigious yet if any of us spent a while in their shoes we would see why they might get a little touchy.

Sweeping statements about people in general who post on the forum are no longer tolerated as I'm sure you well know, this applies to everyone.
    Discodog wrote: »
    So before we criticise a rescue or seek to curtail their promotion, try to imagine being in their shoes.

I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that you have used this thread as an opportunity to do a big soapbox routine in the culmination of having a pop at the updated rules of the forum, which just for the record has meant a huge increase of traffic through the forum, a much better atmosphere, a much more balanced view of pet ownership which is more representative of the world at large and most importantly allows the facts of important issues to be accessed by a much wider audience.

You can have a short break from the forum for your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

ISDW wrote: »
    This morning I took a beautiful 2 year old malamute bitch to the vet as I was very, very concerned about her back legs. I have her IKC papers, so know that was born in July 2009. She was handed over to me by a family who had her chained up in their back garden, and the man hit her repeatedly with a lead in front of me, trying to get her into my van.

I sat on the floor at the vet's surgery cradling her head (she was too big to go up on the table) while her front leg was shaved, and she was sedated. I fed her garlic sausage, her favourite treat while the vet then injected her and I felt her life slip away.

Miya had such severe hip displacia that the vet and I felt this was the kindest thing to do for her, she was in constant pain in both hips.

Please, please, please, if you are considering buying a puppy, only go to a reputable breeder who has done all the relevant health tests for that breed, and make sure that you see the results. I wrote to her breeder, but she never replied to me, so how many other mals are out there suffering in the same way?

If anyone has a malamute that was born in July 2009 and wants to know if they are litter mates, or indeed wants to check with me the dam or sires names, please pm me. I will be contacting the IKC, but really don't expect them to do anything.

Run free at the bridge Miya, you deserved so much more.
    Very very sorry to hear of your loss and very brave of you to take the time to warn others. I could not agree more with your sentiments. I lost 2 Irish bred German Shepherds before their 4th birthdays in somewhat similiar circumstances and can understand your feelings. I had to then learn all about breeding lines and hip scores etc (things I knew nothing about) the hard way. Since then I've only bought German bred dogs as a result. I am no breeder and certainly no expert so it means research and driving out there personally to view and transport the dog home. I view xrays, medical reports and check the line. For me anyway it has worked well. Incidentally both dogs I lost were expensive and fully reg'd here in Ireland.
    I am glad Miya found her way to you as she undoubtedly enjoyed her time with you and if not ending up with somebody so caring may still be suffering elsewhere. Well done !! God Bless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sorry to hear of your loss, really shiitty when things like this happen.

As for reputable breeders, we'll be breeding our boxer in maybe 12months, are we reputable, no, because we don't have a reputation and we are not known. But before we even consider it we will be getting Brodi Hip tested, heart tested and any other tests that she may need, will also insist upon this with the father. If there's anything in the slightest wrong then we won't go ahead, wouldn't want to risk losing her.
    Only doing it as we really want one of her pups, and already have 2 100% guaranteed friends who want one to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

scudzilla wrote: »

But before we even consider it we will be getting Brodi Hip tested, heart tested and any other tests that she may need, will also insist upon this with the father. If there's anything in the slightest wrong then we won't go ahead, wouldn't want to risk losing her.
    Only doing it as we really want one of her pups, and already have 2 100% guaranteed friends who want one to.

And if all of these tests have good enough results I would imagine you won't have any trouble whatsoever finding 5 star homes for the rest of them . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

As for reputable breeders, we'll be breeding our boxer in maybe 12months, are we reputable, no, because we don't have a reputation and we are not known. But before we even consider it we will be getting Brodi Hip tested, heart tested and any other tests that she may need, will also insist upon this with the father. If there's anything in the slightest wrong then we won't go ahead, wouldn't want to risk losing her.

Yes but you are being responsible, In any breeder that would be the first thing I would ask for followed by a good knowledge of the breed and an obvious concern for where they pups will be going.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If every breeder was to do the same we`d have a lot more healthier dogs on our hands.Fair play Scudzilla for thinking ahead like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

But that is what a reputable breeder is.

I don't know why people think that when I and others say reputable breeder, we mean someone who is 'known' thats not what I mean. I mean someone who puts the best interests of the animals first, before profit, by feeding properly, giving them a great life and doing all the relevant health tests for their breed. Someone who is responsible for those pups for the rest of their lives, so that if anything changes with the new owners, they will take the dog back. If you are breeding 50plus pups a year, you can't do that.

You sound as though you are going to be a responsible, reputable breeder, so fair play to you, that is all anybody can ask.

I am not against breeding, if we had no reputable, responsible breeders, breeding excellent quality dogs, then all we would have are accidental matings and people breeding purely for profit. If somebody wants a particular breed, they should be able to go and find a healthy, well bred specimen, so I am definitely not saying don't breed. All I'm asking is that people do it properly, putting the dog's health first.

Advertisement