Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nasned26

Hi guys.

I have passed 2 operational OTs in the past fortnight, and plan to complete the final one next week. (For anybody that has been procrastinating on this - my advice is to just go for it - they are not as difficult to pass as I had expected - I took one week AL from work, and closed them out - well worth it.)

My question is on the operational CS. If I pass the final OT next week, I will just about make the cut off for November CS entry, which will leave me limited time to prepare for it. Since I will have some free time in January, I really want to pass the operational CS this year, to allow me to make headway on management OTs early next year. What is the best strategy for CS study? Are there specific study materials available, apart from the unseen materials provided by CIMA (I won't be able to access them until/if I can register for the exam). Does anybody have any tips for success, under time constraints?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

nasned26 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I have passed 2 operational OTs in the past fortnight, and plan to complete the final one next week. (For anybody that has been procrastinating on this - my advice is to just go for it - they are not as difficult to pass as I had expected - I took one week AL from work, and closed them out - well worth it.)

My question is on the operational CS. If I pass the final OT next week, I will just about make the cut off for November CS entry, which will leave me limited time to prepare for it. Since I will have some free time in January, I really want to pass the operational CS this year, to allow me to make headway on management OTs early next year. What is the best strategy for CS study? Are there specific study materials available, apart from the unseen materials provided by CIMA (I won't be able to access them until/if I can register for the exam). Does anybody have any tips for success, under time constraints?

Thanks.

Firstly, fair play. That's good going.

As referenced earlier this thread i passed the case study on the back of two days work, and not especially focused work either. So I'm well qualified to answer this question :$

I do a lot of assessment and reporting as part of my day job, so i was comfortable with required style of writing. This was the main departure from the OT IMO.

What i had available to me was bpp's video tutorials on the preseen, running through their potential questions and how to answer them. There was nothing mindblowing in the potential answers to be fair, it served principally as a refresh of the material - some of which i hadn't seen in 6 months.

I think Cima provide sample answers for the previous exams. That would be my starting point if i were you. It is definitely doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone doing case study exams over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Yeah, doing the Strategic Case Study in a couple of weeks. Decided to go it alone on this one because I only decided to do it last week!

Hard to know where to go with it but going to try dig up a few sample Q & A's to get a feel for what they'll be after in the exam.

Are you doing any?

No not this time still working way through the OT's

• Advertisement

Anyone else here doing the case study this week? First variant out tomorrow so best of luck if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Levitate

Has anyone done the Strategic Case Study under the new syllabus through either Independent Colleges or First Intuition in Dublin. Just wondering how you found either of those colleges?

I did it under my own steam but haven't got results yet so may yet be going through one of them. I actually think I would give thought to Astranti as an online option. I used their free materials and found them very good.

Whatever way you go at, I think the approach to take is to get all the different models (SAF, PESTEL, Mendelow etc) and relate them to the pre-seen and you should be fine.

At least that's what I wish I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭KaseLieberKase

Hi all

Does the syllabus change much year to year? I have a set of the books for the certificate in business accounting from 2010/2011.

Would these be of any use to me to help revise?

Thanks

KLK

Hi all

Does the syllabus change much year to year? I have a set of the books for the certificate in business accounting from 2010/2011.

Would these be of any use to me to help revise?

Thanks

KLK

year to year, no. But it does change periodically. It is due to change in 2017 to this - http://certba.cimaglobal.com/syllabus/

from what I can see it changed in 2011, so that would rule your books out.

I would say that at certificate level the material constitutes the building blocks, so whilst some things might drop out and others might be added, the basic content shouldn't change too much.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    year to year, no. But it does change periodically. It is due to change in 2017 to this - http://certba.cimaglobal.com/syllabus/

from what I can see it changed in 2011, so that would rule your books out.

I would say that at certificate level the material constitutes the building blocks, so whilst some things might drop out and others might be added, the basic content shouldn't change too much.

Thanks for the info.

On 2017 change do you reckon if I would be better off waiting until it's out? I was going to start the certificate in May this year.

Thanks for the info.

On 2017 change do you reckon if I would be better off waiting until it's out? I was going to start the certificate in May this year.

Do you have any exemptions? I haven't studied the differences, but clearly it's one exam fewer.

There's a lot to be said for pushing the boat into the water! I did the 5 exams in a little over 4 months. So start in May with a fair wind you'll be done by December.

uberwolf wrote: »
    Do you have any exemptions? I haven't studied the differences, but clearly it's one exam fewer.

There's a lot to be said for pushing the boat into the water! I did the 5 exams in a little over 4 months. So start in May with a fair wind you'll be done by December.

No exemptions (chemistry degree) but reckon I could knock the maths module out fairly quickly.

4 months is impressive, I was thinking an average of one module a month would be a stretch.

Would rather get started this April but if it will hinder me in the future I can wait.

EDIT: Due to the new syllabus dropping C03, you can apply for a waiver if sitting the old syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Hey, would anyone have any question books for p2? Have the exam next Tuesday so need them fast. I have the Kaplan book but after doing a Pearson practice exam last night I was blown away by how different the questions are.
    I'm in Dublin for work or live in navan. Cheers!

I don't but you might be able to get more questions from the kaplan site using your book. I think there is a code or something but not sure tbh.

I don't but you might be able to get more questions from the kaplan site using your book. I think there is a code or something but not sure tbh.

Cool, I'll try that so. Couldn't believe how different the questions were!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fat_Friar

Hi all,

I am thinking of doing the CIMA cert and would like to hear your thoughts on if it's worth it.
    First off I have an artsy undergrad and am doing a sort of artsy/businessy master's degree at the moment. I am hoping to get work in a professional services firm (but not to be an accountant, more likely consulting) which is the reason I am thinking of taking CIMA cert.

I have no doubt I could complete it with home study (it seems piss easy, am I mistaken? I opened up a past paper there and knew most of the answers without ever having studied, just seemed common sense) but must I register with a college to take the CBA?

Has anyone taken the CBA in Limerick? - Where/ how much does it cost?

Are there any other costs to becoming CIMA certified? (cert level only).

Is it worth it? (Bearing in mind I am a poor student) Thanks!!

home study. Yes. I did them in 4 months.
    Register with a college - no. All you do is register with CIMA as a student, and then register for each exam as you go. Links for both on the CIMA site. Standard costs for each exam. 50 or 60 a go maybe?

any other costs? No. remain registered with cima to continue using the accreditation.

worthwhile. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

Fat_Friar wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am thinking of doing the CIMA cert and would like to hear your thoughts on if it's worth it.
    First off I have an artsy undergrad and am doing a sort of artsy/businessy master's degree at the moment. I am hoping to get work in a professional services firm (but not to be an accountant, more likely consulting) which is the reason I am thinking of taking CIMA cert.

I have no doubt I could complete it with home study (it seems piss easy, am I mistaken? I opened up a past paper there and knew most of the answers without ever having studied, just seemed common sense) but must I register with a college to take the CBA?

Has anyone taken the CBA in Limerick? - Where/ how much does it cost?

Are there any other costs to becoming CIMA certified? (cert level only).

Is it worth it? (Bearing in mind I am a poor student) Thanks!!

The Cert level might give you a slight advantage for an entry level job but most people who would be going for these jobs are already exempt from them through their Business/Accounting undergrad. I would say there is very little advantage in just doing the Cert level as something you want to put on your CV.

Geraldo wrote: »
    Cool, I'll try that so. Couldn't believe how different the questions were!

Passed P2 anyway. Onwards to F2 now.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Would anyone be able tell me how much work the Mgmt Case study is? I've P2 and E2 passed. I failed F2 a while ago and need to revise for it or possibly take classes for it. I haven't done a case study exam on the new system.

Thanks.

Geraldo wrote:
    Passed P2 anyway. Onwards to F2 now.

Well done how much study did you do and did you attend classes

kilburn wrote: »
    Well done how much study did you do and did you attend classes

I didn't do any classes just work from home. I have to say, I found it a lot of work. It's definitely the last I will do from home study. It's classes in first intuition for me from now. I've F2 and the case study left to sit at management level so hopefully won't be too much longer left.

Was due to start F2 tonight with first intuition and they just cancelled due to lack of numbers. Shambles cancelling on the day it's due to start!
    Anybody any experience of doing online courses? Want to try and get this done by end not may so I can still shoot for the August case study.

I did F1 and P1 through BPP. I will use them for F2 & P2

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

case study results out tommorow.

its going to be a long evening.

Geraldo wrote: »
    Was due to start F2 tonight with first intuition and they just cancelled due to lack of numbers. Shambles cancelling on the day it's due to start!
    Anybody any experience of doing online courses? Want to try and get this done by end not may so I can still shoot for the August case study.

Same happened with the mgmt case study as well. I got an email saying they have gone out of business or are no longer offering CIMA classes. The only other option for tuition for F2 is the accountancy school which doesn't start F2 again until August.

So I'm going to have to do F2 at home by the looks of things. If anyone has any electronic material for F2 please PM me as I would love to get more up to date material. I have E2 and P2 material I'll happily email to people please just pm me.

Same happened with the mgmt case study as well. I got an email saying they have gone out of business or are no longer offering CIMA classes. The only other option for tuition for F2 is the accountancy school which doesn't start F2 again until August.

So I'm going to have to do F2 at home by the looks of things. If anyone has any electronic material for F2 please PM me as I would love to get more up to date material. I have E2 and P2 material I'll happily email to people please just pm me.
    It really was a shambles but what can you do. Hopefully we can still plough on with home study and get F2 in plenty of time for the August case study.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Levitate

Hi,

As I've recently completed qualification, I am selling the following books. All of these are for the recently updated 2015 syllabus. Can arrange for collection in Dublin city.

E3 Kaplan Books (Kaplan)

For Sale (as bundle):

CIMA E3 Study Text (Kaplan)
    CIMA E3 Exam Pactice Kit (Kaplan)
    CIMA E3 Revision Cards (Kaplan)

€50 for bundle

P3 Kaplan Bundle

For Sale (as bundle):

CIMA P3 Study Text (Kaplan)
    CIMA P3 Exam Pactice Kit (Kaplan)
    CIMA P3 Revision Cards (Kaplan)

€50 for bundle

P3 BPP Bundle

For Sale (as bundle):

CIMA P3 Study Text (BPP)
    CIMA P3 Exam Pactice Kit (BPP)
    CIMA P3 Revision Cards (BPP)

€50 for bundle

• Advertisement

Anybody got the Cert level books for sale?

Based in D15 but can meet in the city centre also.

Advertisement