Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Ilanda wrote: »
    I'd be interested if you still have the text.

PM sent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

How do you pay your exam and exemptions fees online? It just tells you to go to My CIMA.

I have paid my registration fee and have a My CIMA account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Log in to mycima and go to settle my account that should let you pay what fees are owed

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fowlerDgrowler

CIMA Kaplan books E1,E2 and F2 exam kits for sale.

Will throw in exam papers with examiners answers for E2, same for F2 plus lecturers excellent notes.

PM if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

I looked into buying the Topcima book online and it was £45 sterling. I looked up the book depository website and it was 48 euro, a small saving but still better money in my pocket.

How much work is involved in T4B? Just reading through the first few pages of the book it says all you need to do is practice past exam questions as there's no new material. It kind of sounds like now is even a bit early to start studying for May but I'm an awful procrastinator anyway I don't really want to be putting it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Aries85

Hi,
    I need help deciding where to do Strategic level for may 2013. I'm torn between Griffith and independent college on Dawson street.
    Can anyone offer advice on the following lecturers??
    Michael barry or John riordan f3
    Martin corboy or Michael Donnelly p3
    Adrian Simms or reidin ni aonghusa e3
    Thanks!!

CIMA Kaplan books E1,E2 and F2 exam kits for sale.

Will throw in exam papers with examiners answers for E2, same for F2 plus lecturers excellent notes.

PM if interested

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GMac1086

Does anyone have any knowledge on the CIMA gateway route / exam?

I have just passed my Chartered Accountants Ireland FAE's and from what I have researched, I can sit the gateway exam (one paper made up from all three management syllabus) to obtain 11 CIMA exemptions and be able to sit the strategic papers.

Has anyone done the same? Did you attend lectures / home study / online?

Any advice greatly received :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michael1_2_3_4

Hey

I am in the same boat and would appreciate any advise on course materials, tutorials for the gateway professional assessment paper

P.s GMac - make sure to register for cima by 31st jan.
    GMac1086 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge on the CIMA gateway route / exam?

I have just passed my Chartered Accountants Ireland FAE's and from what I have researched, I can sit the gateway exam (one paper made up from all three management syllabus) to obtain 11 CIMA exemptions and be able to sit the strategic papers.

Has anyone done the same? Did you attend lectures / home study / online?

Any advice greatly received :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

[/Quote]
    [/Quote]

Lot of people raved about Michael
    Barry when I was doing exams. Personally I thought he raced through the exam questions and never really stopped to explain what was actually happening with the numbers.

Never had John Riordan for Financial. Personally I found him to be an excellent lecturer for Business Strat (think that's E3 nowadays).. I thought he had an excellent lecturing style. Always keeps his class interesting. Some man!

There was a guy called Marcus McInerney in DBS who was amazing for Financial. Don't know if he's still there.

[/Quote]
    [/Quote]

Never had either. Again, DBS had a guy called Gerry Hunt who I found excellent. Teaches you how to pass the exam!

[/Quote]
    Adrian Simms or reidin ni aonghusa [/Quote]

I did TOPCIMA with Adrian Simms in BPP two years ago. Brilliant lecturer. Knows the CIMA process better than any other lectur

• Advertisement

Great to see interest in CIMA picking up again. Seems to be a good variety of options for studying too these days. The difference 4 years makes!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Another option people could look at ucd doing a msc in strategic management accounting. You get exemptions in all cima exams except the last one the case study. Ucd are doing the course as a one year full time course from 2013 instead of two year part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Garret Mulvin

Great to see interest in CIMA picking up again. Seems to be a good variety of options for studying too these days. The difference 4 years makes!
    Hi. My name is Garret Mulvin and I am a full-time tutor with ICBF in Dublin. I was previously a full-time tutor with BPP Ireland. ICBF are offering classroom courses for both the Operational and Management level subjects in CIMA.

If you have any queries regarding CIMA courses or may be interested in continuing your CIMA studies with ICBF please feel free to call on 087-6091888 or check out the website www.ic-bf.com

Two ICBF students achieved prizewinning status in the November exams. Ciaran Fallon was awarded 1st in Ireland for CIMA P1 and Eoin O’Sullivan has been awarded 2nd in Ireland for CIMA F2 – congratulations to both Ciaran and Eoin!

capefear wrote: »
    Another option people could look at ucd doing a msc in strategic management accounting. You get exemptions in all cima exams except the last one the case study.

Was that not geared towards high level managers/execs?

Either ways the last "exam" is the work experience assessment so if you were doing that masters straight after a BA you will still need to start from scratch on a professional level.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

"Was that not geared towards high level managers/execs?

Either ways the last "exam" is the work experience assessment so if you were doing that masters straight after a BA you will still need to start from scratch on a professional level."

It was a two year part time course but this year its been offered as a one year full tme. I know someone who has applied to do it next year and was told that is a tough course to pass, very case studied based which will help with the final topcima exam. But yep than there is the 3 years experience to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sinead_90

I have just registered as a CIMA student. I completed a degree in 2002 which qualifies me for an exemption from C01 -C04. I have been working in a systems role for the last 10 years and have had exposure to accounting functions and concepts during this time. I'm trying to decide whether to accept the exemptions or would I be better do all the certificate level exams? Also is it possible to refuse some exemptions but keep others? any help appreciated

sinead_90 wrote: »
    I have just registered as a CIMA student. I completed a degree in 2002 which qualifies me for an exemption from C01 -C04. I have been working in a systems role for the last 10 years and have had exposure to accounting functions and concepts during this time. I'm trying to decide whether to accept the exemptions or would I be better do all the certificate level exams? Also is it possible to refuse some exemptions but keep others? any help appreciated

I would take every exemption available to me. Those certificate level exams are a nuisance. You can always buy the textbook and go through them at your own time as a refresher.

[/Quote]

Lot of people raved about Michael
    Barry when I was doing exams. Personally I thought he raced through the exam questions and never really stopped to explain what was actually happening with the numbers.

Never had John Riordan for Financial. Personally I found him to be an excellent lecturer for Business Strat (think that's E3 nowadays).. I thought he had an excellent lecturing style. Always keeps his class interesting. Some man!

There was a guy called Marcus McInerney in DBS who was amazing for Financial. Don't know if he's still there.

[/Quote]
    [/Quote]

Never had either. Again, DBS had a guy called Gerry Hunt who I found excellent. Teaches you how to pass the exam!

[/Quote]
    Adrian Simms or reidin ni aonghusa [/Quote]

I did TOPCIMA with Adrian Simms in BPP two years ago. Brilliant lecturer. Knows the CIMA process better than any other lectur[/Quote]

Thanks a mill for your help!!

sinead_90 wrote: »

As mentioned above take whatever's going.

You'll have enough on your plate!

As mentioned above take whatever's going.

You'll have enough on your plate!

Definitely take the exemptions.i was exempt from all cert level and got on fine all the way up to now (strats)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sinead_90

Thanks for the reassurance, I was afraid that would miss out on something I might regret at a later stage.

anyone sitting the extra exams this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Narraone

Hi,I'm just wondering does it matter if I buy CIMA course material which is for previous years? What I mean is on the front of the new text books from BPP it says for 2013 exams. Does the content change from year to year or can I just get a second hand book from eBay from a previous year for half the price.
    thanks in advance
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

kilburn wrote: »
    anyone sitting the extra exams this week?

hey kilburn, i sat P1 yesterday. did ok, aside from Q3, which was a mixture of ABC and Absorption. i seem to have a mental block on ABC, but the way the question was written threw me. i was hoping that they would ask Marginal or Absorption costing, given that the last exam in Nov-12 was on ABC. depending on how i do on Q3, it will decide whether i pass or not.

q4 was ok, but again, i get the feeling they are being deliberately tricky in the way the ask the question!!

so, been attending lectures now for P1 and F1 the last few weeks, the difference in style of lecturers is making for a contrasting experience…thought I would struggle with F1, but the lecturer is great, peppers the material with real world examples and the time flies in. Thought I would fly in P1 as I recently completed C01, but it’s been much more of a drag, as the lecturer, despite being sound, just plods through the textbook, meaning I need to do a lot more of my own work between classes to grasp what is going on….tough work but enjoying the challenge all the same…would not be able to self-study at this level, need the weekly structure provided by classes…

how’s everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

hi all,

I am due to sit E1 and P1 in May. E1 is fine and I have covered a lot of it but am struggling with the absorption costing vs. marginal costing - concepts mainly. Does anyone have any good supplementary resources to recommend to get my head around this? Seems like i wont be able to progress much without having a good understanding of these topics.

thanks....

hi all,

I am due to sit E1 and P1 in May. E1 is fine and I have covered a lot of it but am struggling with the absorption costing vs. marginal costing - concepts mainly. Does anyone have any good supplementary resources to recommend to get my head around this? Seems like i wont be able to progress much without having a good understanding of these topics.

thanks....

If you go on to youtube there are many videos giving lectures on them just find a lecturer you are comfortable with

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭grange mac

Just got T4b after 5 attempts. After 4 results between 44-48 I found the marking review ;150 worth it to find out where I was going wrong. If it helps find only way to pass it is sit down and do questions and get them marked as I could not afford to. cost if travel, accomo and course fees. T4a is all thats left now ...good luck to all those who got results today!! Moral of story is never give up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

Hi

Thanks for all the info on this thread , It's absolutely fantastic.

I'm in my final year of a Finance degree from NUI Maynooth . I plan to complete a professional diploma in accounting from DCU next year and then hopefully find an employer where I can undertake the Cima qualification.

Does anyone have a database on real employers for graduates or any particular companies they came across that are highering? I know there is the Job search on the Cima website but most of them aren't employing anybody never mind graduates.

Any info is much appreciated.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Hey.
    Just started my CIMA journey last week with a pass in C05. I had been doing CPA a few years ago but gave up due to family life. Got back into CIMA to help the career take the next step.
    Hoping to pass all cert exams over the next few months and then get the operational exams in Nov.
    It's home study all the way though as I'm not living in Dublin and have young kids so couldn't attend classes anyway. Have many here done this at the higher levels? Is it a realistic idea or is it likely to get almost impossible?
    Also, have the full BPP study kit for C05 for sale now. Has study text, practice & revision book, sample tests, revision cards and cd rom. Will let it go for €50 or nearest offer.
    Cheers!

Advertisement