Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection to UPC Broadband via ethernet

• 16-09-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hi, Guy with a stupid problem here. I switched to UPC the other day and the router and phone arrived today, but something has only now just occured to me. My parents have a desktop in the office which is beside the sitting room where the router will be getting its feed from the UPC mains on the wall. How do I go about connecting the office desktop? Is it just a case of picking up a wireless adapter card in Peat or can UPC do anything for me?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Which modem/router did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

The Cisco EPC2425

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Then you can run an ethernet cable, go for a WiFi 802.11g adapter, or use homeplugs.

Be aware that the EPC2425 is an infamous piece of crap though.

Thanks for that. I'll look into it. Is there nothing UPC can do for me then?

It's your internal network, it's not for UPC to do anything about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Just buy a USB Wireless G adapter, problem solved!
    BTW the EPC2425 is not as bad as the moans here like to make out...

Grand, thanks for the advice lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

DGRulz wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll look into it. Is there nothing UPC can do for me then?
    A wireless adapter will do the trick, but, just for the record UPC can install another connection point for a fee. I'm not sure how much but I believe it's in the region of €40 - €50. There's absolutely no need to do this of course, but it is an availlable option.

Also don't forget that they can register up to four additional DECT phones to the base of their new UPC phone (most work especially if they have just moved from Eircom & have Siemens cordless) & locate them anywhere in the house & just plug existing base cradle for old phones into power supply for recharging.

They could have the TV set top box connected to the point in the living room & the modem & UPC phone connected in the office & any other phones located wherever is convenient.

No need for the second connection point at all, apart from maybe in the event of a problem, & getting on to technical support & hearing the dreaded words ''Is your pc connected directly to the modem.....'' or '' we do not provide support for wireless connections.....'':eek:

Advertisement