Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronics in Australia

Options
  • 16-09-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Moving to Sydney in two weeks, wondering whether its cheaper to buy a laptop here or over there, any info appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You tell us the laptop you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

Hadn't any in mind, just a friend was tellin me all i need when I get over is somewhere to stay, a laptop n a car!

Had a look at a few netbooks on harvey norman, couldn't see an exact match between ireland and Oz but the irish ones seemed to be cheaper given the spec and the currency, i would have thought it would have been the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No in general Ireland would be cheaper be sure the power supply lead has a half way point to plug in a kettle lead. Then all you have to do is buy a kettle lead here.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Zambia wrote: »
    No in general Ireland would be cheaper be sure the power supply lead has a half way point to plug in a kettle lead. Then all you have to do is buy a kettle lead here.

..or an adaptor for 2 euro in the pound shop

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

I bought a brand new net book off a power seller on ebay for 250euro.
    11.6" acer dual core AMD 2gb memory. Took a week to arrive and will work in Oz on a simple power adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

Cheers, thanks guys, will prob get one before I go so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Stay away from Harvey Norman (Hardly Normal) for anything, everything is overpriced. A lot of their laptops seem to be exclusives to HN, different specs, usually lower.

Check out Dick Smith or JB Hi-Fi for laptops etc.
    If you are really on a tight budget there must be a shop in Sydney similar to the one in Melbourne, it sells used laptops of various specs and some very low prices.
    Don't buy used on ebay, anything could be wrong with it, very little comeback if the seller is overseas.

A laptop can be used anywhere in the world, voltage on most laptop power supplies is 100-240V so all you need is a plug adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Moving to Sydney in two weeks, wondering whether its cheaper to buy a laptop here or over there, any info appreciated thanks!

Don't go near HN his mark up is just mad. Just bought a Toshiba 650 500GB HD 4GB RAM for $495 on Sat here n Melb from CPL . HN had it for sale for $850 .

Two great places i find for computers n parts here n Melb are Cpl.net.com Msy.com.au best prices around no one beats them .

Advertisement