Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

26 or 29er

• 16-09-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am currently mountain biking on a 26 hardtail and I would like to purchase a new set of wheels for the upcoming winter mtb league,
    I would like to know what your opinions are on 29er's especially on muddy and sometimes unpredictable irish trails , and how you compare them to standard mtb bikes.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Well odds are 29s wouldn't fit on a bike made for 26s but in answer to your question:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/the-truth-behind-29ers-28684

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mayocyclist

Thanks, In new set of "wheels", I meant bike...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Thanks, In new set of "wheels", I meant bike...... :)

Whoops...my bad :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

29'ers have not caught on a whole lot in Europe, although the likes of Canyon are pushing them for 2012 so i would expect to see that change...

However.... 29's are supposed to be good for more open terrain, fireroads and the like, more comfy over long distance courses... also the big wheels are a bit better at absorbing bumps etc..

For our Irish terrain which tends to be tight technical singletrack the standard 26'er are snappier to control and accelerate and suit short trails/courses also..

So for me personally, i would never consider a 29'er unless i was given one for free to test..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I've never ridden a 29er (like most mtbers in Ireland), although I'd love to try one. I hear Cycleways are getting some demo models. The Cycle Inn also has a Giant XTC 29er demo. All the bike companies are pushing them for 2012 so would be interesting to see what all the fuss is about.

Tell me more about this "upcoming winter mtb league" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

(Apologies in advance if you are not familiar with the Ballyhouras)

Had a pretty comprehensive test ride of a 853 framed MCR Niner 29er recently (thanks Chris, Revolution Cycles, Limerick!), for comparison I decided to do the Brown Loop in the Ballyhouras, I did one lap on my own 26er steel hardtail, another on the 29er and a final lap on my own bike again.

First impressions are would be how high you feel but this feeling soon disappears, frame angles are steep enough but due to the large wheels it never feels darty like traditional steep angled 26ers, not super quick to accelerate (thats probably me!), but goes up well enough once you are moving, on the first singletrack after the fireroad climb it absolutely flies, very fast and accurate, not as quick to turn as my bike, but the overriding sense you get is one of speed and how well it smooths over small bumps (the fox forks were awesome too, it has to be said), this was the same on all the singletrack sections, I could carry very good speed, sometimes having to double check my entry to allow for slower steering.

On the return section from the log I wanted to give the Niner a good sustained run, it was fantastic on this section, and shrugged off the rock garden sections with aplomb, really letting me drive on hard, the combination of the steel frame, big wheels and fox fork made it the most comfortable I have ever been on this section (including a full susser), the section where the green and brown merge and run down to the trailcentre the speed that could be carried was phenomenal, big ring little cog stuff, the Niner was very good and super competent here, but it must be said not as much fun as my 26er, there is a new section of berms just after the 'stump' section this showed up the 29er, the berms are close together, the niner struggled to change direction, it tracked very well but definitely a 26er is better here.

So whats the sum up?

As a long distance endurance bike, there is little better, superb comfort and speed.

As a race bike, yes I can see why racers like them, its ability to roll over terrain that on a 26er would see you expending more energy pulling the bike out of obstructions not to mention the way it can maintain speed on straight forward singletrack

As a fun bike? give me a 26er any day! and that I think is where I'll stay, lighter weight carbon or ti hardtail will be next, keeping my big 2.4 rubber up front for the best of both worlds, 27.5ers rule!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Morgan wrote: »
    All the bike companies are pushing them for 2012 so would be interesting to see what all the fuss is about.

its to sell you a new bike - not worked out what the industry is about yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

its to sell you a new bike - not worked out what the industry is about yet ;)

Good point...

Advertisement