Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MFV Star of Bethlehem abandoned in Dunmore

Options
  • 16-09-2011 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I've noticed that this vessel is lying apparently abandoned by its owner in the Dunmore East harbour. Its been there rotting away for up to 2 years now and has at some stage had one side of it repainted, bu the work stopped ages ago. It has had on the window of the wheelhouse for some time now a notice stating that the department of the marine and the harbourmaster are "looking after" it and if the owner does not return they will be able to sell it off. Now, last night i was searching for the name of this vessel and i came up with the following on etenders - http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV185215, where the closing date was in december 2010. To date nothing has been done with the vessel and i was wondering if anybody on here knows what the story is? Has it been sold? if not will it be scrapped on site as was the case with the Lothian Rose a few years ago. This ship was also rotting in the harbour for ages until it was moved tot he boat yard and broken up.
    I'd be 90% sure that it is beyond economic repair and the notice in the wheelhouse states that it is causing an obstruction in the port and that harbour master is keeping it afloat for the moment by pumping out the bilges every now and then.

one more thing? is there a fishing/aquaculture forum her at boards.ie, I cant seem to locate it if there is?
    Kinsale_Dunmore_14_11_2009_036.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

one more thing? is there a fishing/aquaculture forum her at boards.ie, I cant seem to locate it if there is?

Sailing and Boating forum is probably as close as you will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Well now if you are in earnest of what you say this will prove worthwhile
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056392479 as I started a debate at least. All ye got to do is agree if ye wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

thats angling, different kettle of fish. BA-DOM....TISHHHH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 1000midgets

As far as i know there is a dispute between 2 people over owner-ship of that boat,thats the delay in selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lister_Petter

I was walking the pier the other night and this ramshackle boat is now gone from its spot. I presume it has been scrapped as it was in pretty bad shape. The winding drums were removed a while ago and left over by the wall, they are gone too.

Soes any1 know if it has been sold or has been scrapped by the harbour master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

I was walking the pier the other night and this ramshackle boat is now gone from its spot. I presume it has been scrapped as it was in pretty bad shape. The winding drums were removed a while ago and left over by the wall, they are gone too.

Soes any1 know if it has been sold or has been scrapped by the harbour master.

I was down there yesterday. Its currently being broken up on the far side of the quay by the lifeboat house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lister_Petter

"You know much that is hidden oh Tim"

Cool. That night it was so miserable I didn't bother going over that side of the harbour. I will go out there this evening and have a look at it.

I remember the last boat to meet its maker at the nozzle of the cutters torch was the Lothian Rose about 5 years ago. Anotherone bites the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 labratd22

Cool. That night it was so miserable I didn't bother going over that side of the harbour. I will go out there this evening and have a look at it.

I remember the last boat to meet its maker at the nozzle of the cutters torch was the Lothian Rose about 5 years ago. Anotherone bites the dust.

Alan Glanville's old boat the Treminou was cut up down in New Ross Boat yard dry dock after the Dunbrody was finished her overhaul in it.

Before
    DSC01570.jpg

Nearly finished
    Treminou.jpg

Advertisement