Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best baby clothes shops

Options
  • 16-09-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Just wondering on what people opinions are on the best shops for baby clothes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

For boys, nice clothes and reasonably priced-h&m and m&s. Zara is nice too. Next is far too expensive for what it is. I personally don't get the hype (mothers queuing up over night for the sales).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I love Next.

Decent value and great quality and finish on the clothes. They take so many washes. You can pay less in Penny's or Dunnes but often times the fit is wrong, or there is a bad finish and anything I got from either looked crap after a couple of washes.

I've been to a couple of the early morning sales, I was up anyway I guess. Was able to kit the child out for the next year inexpensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭schnorkleborg

I love the Name It clothes they wash and wear really well. Also Next and M&S are great quality. For baby clothes presents I use either earthmother.ie for organic clothes and sleepingcutie.ie. Dunnes and Penneys are fine for small bits like socks but wouldnt bother with them for outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Im a 'next' person too, to me they are the best for baby clothes followed by name it and m&s.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Next is the best but it is expensive so the sales are great:)
    Tesco is my 2nd favourite, their clothes are good and wash well.

Next tights are definitely the best.

Pennys stuff is ok if you plan to dump them after.

Dunnes have pretty good stuff but I often find it expensive.

• Advertisement

Have the next fans daughters or sons?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have a son and I think Moonbeam has daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have 2 sons now aged 5 and 6 and a daughter age 12 who is now in the adults section of next.

I love next BUT I dont like the next sales, the under 2 age group is fine but the over 2 age group i find the choice limited in the sales and they bring out the unsold sale items from the previous sales, if the sale is in decmber they will have summer stuff on sale and in summer they have the winter stuff on sale, they even try to sell last years unsold sale stock.

when i had my son in july 2005 he was 5 weeks premature and i went into next and the sales were on and i got him loads of outfits appox 20 for under 100 euro. I had stuff got for him but it was all too big as he was going to be a 10 pounder at 5 weeks premature he was 7lb 6 oz so i got tons of newborn stuff for him :D that was the best sale i ever went to in next after that they went down hill fast.....

Ive always loved next even for my girl, but she is too trendy for kids clothes now and next petite is perfect for her.....

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Just wondering what shop 'name it' is, iv never heard of it, is it in dublin? Also which h & m does baby clothes, im in town so usually go to the one on henry st and they defo dont have baby section...

Just wondering because there's such a huge range of girls clothes compared to boys. My 7 month old owns so many denim dungarees. That's why I like h&m because the boys clothes are a little different. Good quality and reasonable too.

I realise I'm in the minority by not bring a next fan.

I go to h&m in Liffey valley.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Next for his 'going out' clothes.. Dungarees, sweaters, shirts, hoodies etc for the boys and they wash great..

For babygrows, pjs, vests, bibs, socks etc you can't beat Pennys, Dunnes, Heatons and Tesco's F&F range.

Having said that the Jeans from Pennys are great aswel, I have loads of little jeans from there and I've washed and ironed them a good few times and they come out good as new, and good tog value on them aswel for the Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I think 'Name It' is something to do with Vero Moda, I'm sure there's a shop in Dublin, but you do get concessions in department stores.

+1 on Next....BUT....only for when they get a wee bit bigger. I couldn't justify it for small baby clothes because they simply don't get the wear out of them. Anything that they'll grow out of rather than wear out, I go for Dunnes, Penneys or Asda (if you're near the border).

However, for crawling, wobbling and toddling, it's hard to beat Next or M&S. My 15 month old has a pair of Next trousers that he had rolled up when crawling and he's still wearing them now toddling and falling - the knees are indestructable on them and they have been washed dozens of times and still look great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes, both of mine are girls.
    Where I really saw the difference is my older girl went in to 6-9 month clothes at 4 months and stayed there until 11 months. As all mothers know this is a crazy long time!!
    Her Next stuff is still perfect.
    The Tesco stuff is still in very good condition as is the Dunnes stuff but the dunnes stuff is worn looking.
    All the Dunnes and Pennys tights needed to be binned but the Next ones are still in really good condition.
    As for coats I bought a Pennys one this year as they were 1/2 price,it looks lovely but the quality was so bad that she wore her Lidl rain coat for the summer.
    Regatta all in one snow suits are brilliant for the rain and snow,Lidl rain coats are brilliant and the Lidl lined wellies are the best!
    Pennys is great for vests and pyjamas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

qwertytlk wrote: »
    Just wondering what shop 'name it' is, iv never heard of it, is it in dublin? Also which h & m does baby clothes, im in town so usually go to the one on henry st and they defo dont have baby section...
    There's a small Name It store in the St Stephens Green Centre, and the H&M just outside (beside Zara) does kids clothes downstairs. There's also a store called Lolly & George in the Frascati Centre in Blackrock that stock Name It, and I think a Name It store in Dundrum Town Centre.

Personally I love rooting around in TK Maxx. There's hardly any boys clothes there but the girls clothes (dresses, coats, etc) are really good and nice.

Ok so I stand corrected on next ;) it's very good quality.

My fella at 7 months is just getting to the stage with crawling etc where good quality clothes are important.

I looked in pennys a few times and thought the stuff cost pretty much the same as dunnes but the quality looked worse. Dunnes is ok but I find it all very samey. My sister with 2 big lads now said the clothes haven't changed that much since they were babies/toddlers 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hmmm, intertesting no one has really mentioned mothercare... Is that because its ridicilously over priced-for what it is. Personally love zara,tk maxx,pennys and dunnes for some stuff,tesco f&f range have some nice stuff.. and next... There isnt really that many good baby clothes shops. Dying to check out h & m. Heading to swords pavillion today, anyone know if they have a kids section in their h n m? Also got him two nice tracksuits in champion sports, but obviously thats only a once off type shop as they dont have much variety in the babies range. Maybe 3-4 different designs.

Forgot TK Maxx, also good.
    Mothercare is overpriced and unexciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Get your vests at dunnes/penneys buy your babygrows in mothercare during a sale and get your other clothes from next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Since moving back to Ireland 5 months ago I've only bought 1 packet of vests for my guy as I got bags and bags of clothes from my husband's cousin. Most of it is M+S and I think the quality is fantastic, none of it looks worn at all and it's had a lot of wear as her guy was very small so stayed in the 6-12 months stuff for a long time. Their boy stuff is quite interesting too. I've never bought anything myself so I have no idea how expensive it is (probably at the higher end).

M&S isn't that expensive. It's priced between dunnes and next. I'd have never even considered M&S except like you I got a bag of clothes from a friend when my son was born and kits were from there and was very impressed with the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I got some really nice stuff in M&S before.

No kids clothes in the big store in town but Dundrum has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

My now 5 month old has a wardrobe to 18months completely from gifts so havent bought much myself. But from what she has I can say mothercare is great for quality, they wash well and are lovely and soft against her skin. I found a hole in a Dunnes babygro after 3 washes and her other ones look a bit grubby after a few washes too. Next is lovely but expensive and a bit trendy for my liking! Im loving all her Blue Zoo stuff (expensive though) from Debenhams. And she got lots of Name It stuff. Must be a shop in Longford town as her Dad is from there and she got lots from his relatives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Next is brilliant and I also love the Disney range of baby clothes in Tesco. Tesco themselves also do a really good range of tshirts for baby and toddler boys, they're very thick fabric, wash great and really soft, the girls stuff isn't great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Online there is 'Jojomamanbebe'. The quality is excellent and I had some lovely clothes from there for my kids.

Apart from that, M+S have some gorgeous stuff at the moment, but all the prices seem to have been hiked again!Mothercare stuff is too pricey for what it is too imo.We also get clothes from Penneys and Dunnes/Tesco for everyday things, it doesn't matter if they get wrecked then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Dades wrote: »
    Yeah, I got some really nice stuff in M&S before.

No kids clothes in the big store in town but Dundrum has them.

M&S kids clothes in mary street.

My Fav's are
    M&S, H&M, Tesco, Penny's (great for in creche as she comes out flithy with paint and food etc) and Zara. Next is alright bit pricey but jackets are lovely

Worst are Dunnes nothing fits right, trousers to short or waist to big, wash them once and shape is gone also look grubby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I've a boy and my favourite places for affordable clothes are H&M, Dunnes, Tesco and Name it (quite a few of them around Tipp). I like Asda too when we're in the UK. I'm in a 'swap circle' in my local town - a gang of us with kids of different ages pass clothes on when we're finished with them. From that I get a whole pile of Next stuff and I have to say it is really hard-wearing, looks like new even when it's 2nd or 3rd hand. I don't buy there myself unless there's a sale, it's just too pricy for a Destructor like my boy. I can never pass on the Tesco/Dunnes stuff, it's just too grubby, but it's grand for everyday wear - I especially like the generous sizes of vests & pjs in Tesco. I don't have a Penneys nearby, but the bits I've been given really vary in quality from excellent to totally useless.

I really hate how most shops have acres of pink and very little for boys (or non-princessy girls!). H&M is the best for 'normal' clothes and a good variety for both sexes (and unisex stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i like next, as the clothes do last but can be expensive.
    got a voucher for my daughter and she needed babygros so i bought 3 for €19. after i came out i thought that was expensive for babygros so got my money back and bought 3 for €9 in tesco!! also bought vests there and preferred the quality to pennys.

dunnes do fab girls stuff but crap for boys
    name it have nice stuff for both and do great sales
    h&m aren the best quality
    zare are nice but can be dear

i was looking for a winter jacket for my 11mth old and found that zara, next, bennetton charge 35 upwards!! so got af fab one in tk maxx for €23.
    my son who is nearly 4 wears lots of things from pennys that are great for the creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

One I haven't seen mentioned on this thread (but only applies if you're near the north I suppose) is ASDA. I find the George brand really good, inexpensive and they wear well. apart from that I like NEXT but as people have mentioned they are a bit more expensive, also I find Dunnes quite good. Penneys are useless for clothes (apart from Pj's etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Newborns, 0-3 months - I'd rely on Dunnes & Penneys.
    Beyond these ages, Next and M&S are best in my opinion. Great wear out of them and they wash well.

I find H&M sizes are way too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I love the Next babygros but I find their other clothes a bit too pricey. I'm lucky that I was given a lot of presents of clothes for up to 1 year from Next (my son is 6 months).

I really like H&M for both quality and price. Dunnes is fine for vests but I don't really like their other clothes. Again I was given a few presents of clothes from M&S and found them to be lovely but I haven't bought anything from there myself, mainly because I don't have one near me.

Advertisement