Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog over-excited on lead

• 16-09-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi all,

Basically, my dog Molly, who is perfect in every other respect on a walk, gets incredibly over-excited when she passes other dogs on the lead. It's not an aggressive response, she genuinely does just want to greet the other dog. Off lead this is not a problem.

The problem is that as soon as she sees another dog at any distance she starts pulling on her harness, lunging towards the other dog and almost baying with excitement. This has the effect of making both the other dog and the other dogs owner worried that my small, ginger terrier is going to maul them. When she does greet other dogs (who aren't scared of her) it's fine and she will be grand after. Most owners aren't keen to get too close to her when she is manic though.

I've tried turning her round to walk away from the dog, which works. Until I turn back to walk in my intended direction. I also tried distracting her with a ball, which didn't work, and food, which never works on a walk. (much more interesting things to think of than chicken!)

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can rectify this?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement