Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungarians allied with the Germans, did they perform well ??

Options
  • 16-09-2011 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Now I know that their were others* who joined the invading German armies, but the Hungarians who were sort of allies to the Austrians in the Habsburg army, seemed to join in great masses. So if so, did they perform better than say, the Italians ? ?

* (not nessecarily fascists, for example could you blame some for thinking the Germans were liberating them from Stalinism )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Some info on the Hungarian Second Army here OP

and the Hungarian Units of the SS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

On a basic soldier level, the Hungarians preformed better than the Italians, but it didn't amount to much because the theaters in which they participated were largely mechanized and they had neither defensive or offensive capability in that field really. For example, they held the doomed flank at Stalingrad (along with the Italians), and they were thrown into disarray because of a disastrous deficiency in material. All of their anti-armor capabilities were based around obsolete equipment (I think largely 37mm for example) and they were pretty much powerless against the Russian advance. Anthony Beevers Stalingrad goes into this pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    The Hungarian Air Force fielded several fighter units with Me109 and Me410 that fared well, ie, they gave as good as they got until the sheer numbers of Allied aircraft wore them down.As with the Bulgarians, Rumanians and Slovaks, the best equipment they had was German, as a lot of their tank and artillery equipment was WW I era. Also, their command and training systems were slow, outdated and couldn't keep pace with losses, as well as their soldier-officer relations being feudal and much less open to individual initiative.

regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement